PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Do you use the touch pad tapping feature?

Rytron
July 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Do you use the touch pad tapping feature?

lisati
July 19th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I discovered the feature not long after getting my laptop, but rarely have a need for it since I use a USB mouse and a USB keyboard.

SigmaSanti
July 19th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I rarely use it because of its tendency (At least on my toshiba satellite) to click when I don't want it too. But that could just be me...

Rytron
July 19th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I rarely use it because of its tendency (At least on my toshiba satellite) to click when I don't want it too. But that could just be me...

I would not say it is just you. The tapping feature can become extremely frustrating.

Fingers & Thumbs
July 19th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I hate touchpads. when I'm forced to use them on other peoples machines, all I ever learned in english lessons goes out of the window and are replaced by non-dictionary language which is best avoided in polite company.

Hooya
July 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Nope, me too. I turn it off when I can. Accidental taps occur far too often.

A. J. Rimmer
July 19th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Tap to Click used to drive me crazy, but I finally learned to get along with it. I detuned the sensitivity by editing a config file and now I rather like the feature.

(Just don't ask me how I did it -- I found the info on the forums here quite a while ago.)

era86
July 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I really don't like it. It gets annoying too. I prefer the trackpoint anyway. Hardly on the touch pad.

cdtech
July 19th, 2008, 10:12 PM
It's the same settings as your mouse.

It's under System > Preferences > Mouse

I just set the sensitivity way down on mine and it works great for me.

In some cases I can't use my cordless mouse so I'm forced to go with the touch pad.

kspncr
July 20th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I also never use it. I can't stand it when it clicks when I don't want it to. Hate that feature; I don't know what I would do if I couldn't turn it off.

All that said, I usually just use my usb mouse anyway...

hotrod6657
July 20th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Like some others said I use a USB mouse, but when i am totally mobile I love the tap feature.

FYI i have a ThinkPad and it has like 12 different pointing as part of the keyboard so I might as well get used to one of them lol. Never have gotten the hang of the other ones.

sp0nge
July 20th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I like using the touch pad, I've never been much for connecting peripherals to a laptop. I seem to have a totally different way of typing on a laptop than a regular keyboard, but I'm known to be weird.

Rytron
July 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM
As of posting the score is 15 - 14 in favour of tapping.
I am SHOCKED :confused:

wpshooter
July 20th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Nope, me too. I turn it off when I can. Accidental taps occur far too often.

I agree. This feature should be eliminated from computers. It is a cause for too many problems.

We have one of the partners in our office that insists on having it and he is constantly accidentally doing things to his computer with it and then he is calling me to

1) figure out what he has messed up

2) figure out how to fix it.

Rhubarb
July 20th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I actually prefer the touch pad (and the tap-to-click feature) to using a nipple.
Sure if conditions permit, I'd definitely choose a mouse over a touch pad.

I've even been known for playing some FPS games with a touch pad and have remained quite competitive.
I also use my wiimote on occasion too :P

A. J. Rimmer
July 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM
It's the same settings as your mouse.

It's under System > Preferences > Mouse

I just set the sensitivity way down on mine and it works great for me.

In some cases I can't use my cordless mouse so I'm forced to go with the touch pad.

Thanks -- that's not exactly what I was thinking of, though. This goes way back to Dapper, and I don't think the OS was quite as easy to set mouse parameters back then. If I recall correctly, xorg.conf had a lot of different parameters for the touchpad (many more than I see today in Gutsy), and there were some tricks to tweaking the sensitivity of the tap to click function. I have notes on all of this *somewhere* but they are probably backed up to an external drive on another computer!

Thanks for posting your info; I didn't even realize that the tap to click function could now be easily turned off in the Preferences menu.

xorg.conf is still largely a mystery to me, by the way!

aysiu
July 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I've moved this out of the support area and into the Community Cafe, as it's more of a discussion/sharing of experiences topic than a support request.

Mateo
July 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Yes, I do. partially because my proper buttons are sticky.

dizee
July 20th, 2008, 05:48 PM
touch tapping is one of the handiest things ever. maybe i'm lucky that my touchpad is less sensitive or something but i've always found it useful. plus when you tell xorg to emulate a 3 button mouse,you can get middle clicks (tap at two points) and right clicks too.

fiddledd
July 20th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I didn't like the Touchpad, it took me a few months to stop dragging files into folders without meaning to. Then I disabled tapping and used the Mouse button. Now I finally realised tapping works best for me.
So I voted Yes.

A. J. Rimmer
July 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
touch tapping is one of the handiest things ever. maybe i'm lucky that my touchpad is less sensitive or something but i've always found it useful. plus when you tell xorg to emulate a 3 button mouse,you can get middle clicks (tap at two points) and right clicks too.

dizee -- have you seen this post?:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=864653

Sounds as if you might be able to help "thegodfaza" with his touchpad configuration problem. Thanx.

NikoC
July 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Absolutely hate it, first thing I did after installing Ubuntu, or any OS for that matter, was disabling it :)

miggols99
July 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I love it! I never seem to touch it with my palms and you only need to press it only softly to make it click. I rarly click when I don't want to. I think I'd rather do that instead of clicking the buttons which means I have to lift my finger and click a noisy button. Much slower..

SomeGuyDude
July 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Super convenient. I actually feel crippled when the configuration goes out the window. I've got a middle click in the upper-right corner and the scroll strip on the right edge which is, hands down, the most convenient thing of all. I -never- use the actual scrollbars on windows.

I just wish I could configure it more thoroughly like I could with the Synaptics manager in Windows.

YaroMan86
July 20th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I hate touchpads. You know what I miss from laptops are trackballs. None of these stupid touchpad or eraserheads. BACK THEN MICE WERE MICE AND MEN WERE MEN!

dizee
July 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM
dizee -- have you seen this post?:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=864653

Sounds as if you might be able to help "thegodfaza" with his touchpad configuration problem. Thanx.
just posted, not sure if it'll be of any use but happy to try and help :)

Superkoop
July 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Nope, I hate it. I would always accidentally tap when I don't mean to tap.
I still need to get a USB mouse for my lappy...me too poor :(

YaroMan86
July 20th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Nope, I hate it. I would always accidentally tap when I don't mean to tap.
I still need to get a USB mouse for my lappy...me too poor :(

You're sure? Mice are often dirt cheap these days.

chris4585
July 21st, 2008, 01:28 AM
its absolutely annoying

Exershio
July 21st, 2008, 01:41 AM
I use the touch pad tapping feature whenever I'm on someone else's laptop without a mouse, other than that, I try not to.

off-topic:Why are you spamming thank-yous to every single person in this thread? It's rather quite annoying.

dracule
July 21st, 2008, 01:47 AM
i only use it to change focus of windows.