PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy new laptop linux compatible

jskeys
July 19th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Gents,
I've been running dual boot on a Toshiba P35 laptop. At one time I saw a listing of linux compatible laptops but can not find it anymore. Since I'm in the market for a new (newer) laptop I'd like to find one that is linux compatible and that I can set up to dual boot again. I like the Toshiba I have and would buy another (but I'm not stuck on toshiba). I travel and work mostly in 3rd world countries, often rather remote so the 17" screen and dvds are often my only entertainment.
I've read a lot of posts with mixed feelings about 64-bit. I would like to have 2 gig Ram (expandable to 4) and 160 or larger HDD.

gn2
July 19th, 2008, 10:57 AM
This might be a useful link: http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Look for Intel chips, CPU, GPU, chipset, all Intel or maybe Nvidia for the GPU and you should be fine.

Not what your after, but I have an Asus F9E (12" screen) that works just perfectly, it has Intel everything inside.

IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads usually get high recommendations.

wahoobob
July 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Why a "new" laptop? I have been using a Thinkpad T42p that has a little age on it... picked it up from a used dealer for a great price and it runs Ubuntu like a charm... the new laptops often come with Vi$ta preinstalled and figured in the price, so the price is much higher. If you want the dual boot - fine, if not, an older compatible workhorse like a thinkpad could be the ticket.

silkstone
July 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
If it's of any help, almost everything (including wireless) worked out of the box with Hardy on a two year old Acer 5612WLMi - Intel T2300, GeForce Go 7300.

The 'almost' are the small multimedia keys to the right hand side of the keyboard, which aren't recognised, but I never used them anyway.

jskeys
July 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Guys,
Thanks, I look forward to all ideas as they will help me make a better decision. I'm probably not looking for a "new" computer and I dread the idea of Vista, but some of my work has to be done and accessed via explorer (the only time I ever use it). I will start looking at some of the models you guys suggest. My last laptop had a broadcom wireless chipset and I never could get 6.10 to work on it, I want to avoid that.
While I'm at it let me thank all those who take the time to help us novices get through issues. Aside from Ubuntu, your time and effort helping is the greatest thing about this community. I look forward to the day when I have gained enough experience to help also.

71CH
July 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Thinkpad