PDA

View Full Version : How did u choose your username?

sharks
July 19th, 2008, 08:30 AM
How did u choose your username?

I chose this because our local cricket team name is Sharks

Canis familiaris
July 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM
My real name. :popcorn:

Jim!
July 19th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Dude! Thats an awesome real name!:D

Giant Speck
July 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Mine is part of a list of variations of an old high school nickname.

My last name is Kay, and therefore I was stuck with the nickname "Special Kay" (like the cereal and ONLY THE CEREAL).

I never really liked the name "Special Kay," so I formed my own internet variations of it.

Speckay
SpecK
SpecKtacle
and finally Giant Speck

NovaAesa
July 19th, 2008, 10:10 AM
It's my real name as well. There is a space in there normally though.

lol, not

beercz
July 19th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I was drinking Czech beer at the time.

I love Czech beer. In fact I love beer period! :-)

Tim Sharitt
July 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and typed in my real name instead of tsharitt (which I normally use for email and such). I was surprised the space was allowed.

lisati
July 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM
"Lisati" is the Samoan equivalent of my real name, Richard, commonly shortened to "Rich" by the in-laws.

Delever
July 19th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I used to play some MMORPG long time ago.

miggols99
July 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM
My name is really Michael. People call me miggles. I spell it like miggols. 99 is just a random number.

Kingsley
July 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM
In my rush to get a problem with Ubuntu answered, I angrily banged my fists on my keyboard during the forum registration.

'Kingsley' randomly resulted as my username.

jaytek13
July 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
It's a combination of my first name, last name, and birth date. I've used this name for many, many years.

patrickaupperle
July 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
This is my full name. I forgot to capitalize :lolflag: and I never use a space, they are usually not allowed. I am Patrick Aupperle.

IanShuttleworth
July 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Real name like many already. The nickname I go by in online games/communication isn't really the best for forums (it's not inappropriate, just silly). I couldn't think of anything clever.

PrimoTurbo
July 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM
A while back I found a text file on Hotline (anyone remember it?) it had a bunch of slang terms for drugs. I was looking for a nickname and I though PrimoTurbo sounded interesting.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/49/37/websWeb_ServicesAllHotline_Client_PPC-resized200.gif

Primo = Prime
Turbo = Fast

Supposed to be a slang term for cocaine or something like that. Most people think it's mexican or latin-american which is not the origin.

kahlil88
July 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Kahlil is my name, I was born in 1988 and I also play piano (therefore the 88 has two meanings!)

geekygirl
July 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I get called a 'geeky girl' by my work mates and my partner is always accosting me about being a geek girl..

:lolflag:

Masoris
July 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I forgot! I need some hypnosis to remember it. :lolflag:

grouchy_hermit
July 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
What a place to make my first post! Well, I'm grouchy(just ask my kids!) and being disabled I'm stuck in the house most of the time so I'm a hermit!

Zeotronic
July 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I'm not going to retell the whole boring story, but the short version is that I once went by the handle Zeotronic, and some of my closest friends were urging me to consider using it again at the time I made this account. Presently I go by Dusk, and I have not had anyone ask me to go by Zeo again since... too late for this account however.

overdrank
July 20th, 2008, 03:00 PM
My son wanted me to join Myspace with him and we could not think of a screen name until he popped up with overdrank. and his name on the forums is overdrankspup. :)

antirem
July 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
A long time ago I used to listen to hip hop.. 6-8 years ago.. I wanted an original nickname so I went on the english spanish dictionary and found that remix is remezcle in spanish. I was trying to sign up for antionline.com one day but it would let me with my username so i just stuck anti to the fron of remezcle and got antirem.

Nobody can pronounce remezcle so I use antirem a lot more, but it is interchangeable.

Sand & Mercury
July 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
It's the name of a song by Dutch band The Gathering.

Blackmag+c
July 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
well, after a few years of FPS's 'Whitekn+ght' and 'Blackmag+c' are my two handles. I just chose one of them :) I usually use Blackmagic for forums anyhooooo.

koji042
July 20th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I knew I wanted my username to start with a k so I just thought of random names until I thought of one I liked. I got 042 because 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything. :D The 0 just came in because in the making of my GMail account, koji42 wasn't available and I just felt like having the same username.

evilc
July 20th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Easy my first name backwards

Guest101
July 20th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Im not sure :\

ryaxnb
July 21st, 2008, 12:47 AM
My name is Ryan Butler. RyanB is an initialed form of my name. Long time ago, connecting via dial-up in Windows 95, I wanted to make my email ryanb@whatever.net. But it came out as ryaxnb. :) That is now my alias. Everywhere, although some places it's ryaxnb2.

YaroMan86
July 21st, 2008, 12:49 AM
Yaro is my fursona. A meerkat. Unfortunately, the name "Yaro" was taken on the forum so I fell onto my old standby: "YaroMan." That was STILL taken, so I became YaroMan86, my year of birth.

BLTicklemonster
July 21st, 2008, 01:15 AM
I used to tickle my nieces and nephews mercilessly, then my own children (hey, it's the only form of torture you can get away with any more, gah), and when I was playing Quake 2 on the lan with my then 6 year old, I decided to call myself Ticklemonster instead of some macho meanie name, and it has stuck ever since. I play unreal tournament online, and got a hoot one night when I was getting some lucky shots and was doing great, and some guy asked, "wtf is a ticklemonster, and how can I be losing to one?"

The BL stands for Black Legion, the UT clan I'm in.

steveneddy
July 21st, 2008, 01:30 AM
It was this or L*R*** and I thought the second name sounded a little, well, you know.

But, what do I know.

:D

(j/k) smile - it's funny....

poofyhairguy
July 21st, 2008, 01:45 AM
My avitar looks like me (except curls not spikes and brown not blond).

Corfy
July 21st, 2008, 02:54 AM
My last name is Corfman. Corfy was a childhood nickname. Now, nobody "offline" uses it, but it is my identity online.

barbedsaber
July 21st, 2008, 04:44 AM
I stole it from someone else (that I despise), just to annoy them. :)

dizee
July 21st, 2008, 04:54 AM
it's sort of a nickname i have that's a corrupted version of another nickname.

not a great username, particularly since there's someone else with almost the exact same one, but whatever.

adamogardner
July 21st, 2008, 04:58 AM
my mom and dad gave it to me except for the "O" which dates back to my highschool day and the guest list at limelight club in NYC.

Erdaron
July 21st, 2008, 05:48 AM
The name "Erdaron" is from a character I used in a some short stories I wrote back in high school. It was just shy of LOTR fanfiction. I'm a total nerdy nerd. But this was the first screenname I used on AIM and usenet (AGX! CTs and flamethrowers!) and IRC. That was almost ten years ago, and I just stuck to it.

Squid Tamer
July 21st, 2008, 05:49 AM
Squid are my favorite animals. On the bigger forums and games "Squid" is taken, so Squid Tamer is what I use on the internet. (Though I use Squid on some of the "smaller" forums, so call me Squid if you so desire.

Look closely at my Avatar. Yes, I have one.:)

RiceMonster
July 21st, 2008, 05:56 AM
My name is just something stupid that I thought of ages ago and I've been using for various things ever since. It has no meaning whatsoever.

heathenos
July 21st, 2008, 06:02 AM
same username I use to troll on other websites.

Lord Xeb
July 21st, 2008, 06:02 AM
I chose something exactly opposite of my beliefs. I do not believe in any religion, but I chose the wrath of god as a password (and no it is not even phrased that way). Most of my passwords are based on personal preferences and insecurities. I am a very paranoid individual when it comes to security @_@ Most of my passwords are backwards and writen in l33t or some other form :D

loboc
July 21st, 2008, 06:05 AM
Its cobol spelled backwards it was on an outdated poster in computer class back when we set up our first linux box back in 1999.

gletob
July 21st, 2008, 06:24 AM
GLEnn TOBey

zenwalker
July 21st, 2008, 06:26 AM
From my signature below, u can guess why my username :D

xpod
July 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM
I could`nt use the original username i wanted to when signing up to the forums so after much thought xpod it was.
Initially xpod(xp-o-d) was just a silly dig at XP.It was as though i`d had some kinda horrible Over Dose on something,with all kinds of strange symptoms.......Pulling hair out,shouting at computer screens,booting boxes,literally.And that was after only 4 months with a computer.I`ve seen what years of that can do to a person after all.:wink:
I dont actually bare no ill will to XP/Microsoft or indeed any other aspect of computers and it was just something silly that came to mind after that first crazy few months i`d had using one,if thats what you can call it.

Now though i think it`s more a case of X-pod than XP-o-d.Go figure.

PHATSPEED7x
July 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM
This is my same username for my other forums, and my e-mail address...

nothingspecial
July 23rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
T`was the song that was on when I signed up.

http://www.jazzbutcher.com/htdb/lyrics/nothing_special.html

andrek
July 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
andre ( italian word for my name - i'm not Italian, though ) k ( first letter of my last name ) = andrek.

visionaire
July 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
A Tiamat song...

KingTermite
July 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Copy/Pasted from my blog. It's a common question because I use "KingTermite" everywhere I go.
--------------------------------------

Why "KingTermite"?

This is a question I get quite often. Why in the world do you call yourself "KingTermite"? What does it mean? Was it random? Is there any meaning behind it?

The answer is yes there was thought and meaning behind the name. It was certainly not random by any stretch. It's a bit of a long story of how the name started and evolved, but bear with me and I'll try to make it as short as I can.

The story, according to my family, was that I chewed the stuffing out of my grandmother's rocking chair cushion one day when I was about 2 years old. She immediately gave me the nickname "Termite".

The nickname stuck and most of my family called me "Termite" growing up. I liked the nickname...it was fun and original. All my cousins had goofy nicknames, but I was the only that "earned" his nickname and I was proud of that fact.

Fast forward now to college. It was about 1995 and I was creating my first web page for a project for a club I was getting in to. The web was very new then and there did not seem to be much originality in the few web pages that did exist. I wanted my web page to be a bit different....original.

I have always enjoyed fantasy literature, so I decided to sort of make it castle themed. My plan was to have each page on the website be sort of a room in the castle. The website needed some sort of "name"...and I was struggling with that. I finally decided to call it Castle Termite since I enjoyed my nickname.

Not too long after that, I was trying to register for Yahoo. I was annoyed, you didn't used to have to register, but it seemed that lately every website was forcing you to register to do anything. Whenever I registered on any website, I tried to use "Termite" as my user name and usually had no trouble. Now, though, on a much bigger website, like Yahoo, I found that "Termite" was a taken user name. I was not happy. Who in the world would be "Termite" other than me?

Anyway, I had to come up with a more unique name it seemed. I also decided that day that I needed something VERY unique so that I could always assure it was available, I didn't like the idea of just attaching some number to the end like Termite0785697 like many other people seemed to do.

I sat and gave it long thought as it seemed this might be "my name" online for a long time to come. I started thinking about my website at school, "Castle Termite" and realized that if I was the creator of Castle Termite, I must be its king. Thus King Termite was born in cyberspace that day. I only dropped the space between the words to make sure it would work on all systems.

That was about 13 years ago. I have been using the name for that long now.

AndyCooll
July 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
My real name is Andy. And this was my nickname at church in my teen years (though I'm fairly sure there was a hint of irony when I was given it). The extra "l" was as a result of gong on one forum and finding that the singular had been taken ...the cheek!

I've used this as my username (with two l's) for years. I use it on every forum, and even my email addresses etc.

:cool:

Icehuck
July 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
When you same my name fast it sounds like "I suck". Which is great when someone says your name over voice chat on an FPS game.

sisco311
July 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
misspelt short form of my real (first)mane + semi-random number
ferenc(hun) = francisc(rom) = francisco

-grubby
July 23rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Just my name, with no spaces

duckfeet
July 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
I use "duckfeet" all over the net...I'm a bodysurfer, it's a real popular swimfin, made by voit, and amazingly--to me--it's often not taken, so I don't have to add a big number to it...

Traumadog
July 24th, 2008, 12:33 AM
"Traumadog" is a term that was used to for many years around my locality to describe someone who was considered either very good or had done something innovative in my given profession. Kinda like "steely-eyed missile man" was used in the aerospace community during the 1960s. One day I needed a name to use on a forum... that was the first thing I thought of.... it was available... and thus my moniker was born. Now I use it as a username whenever it's available. Over the years, however, I've found that MANY people have apparently had the same thought when choosing usernames 'cause there are LOTS of "Traumadogs" out there. So much for my attempt at originality!! :)

By the way..... I have no illusions that I'm either exceptionally good or innovative at anything!! :)

Joeb454
July 24th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I typed mine in and pressed enter...

spupy
July 24th, 2008, 01:06 AM
My username? I have no idea! :|

One of my other nicknames is a spaceship pilot from Stanislaw Lem. The 3rd one is an angel - one that is both good and evil and has a metal band with the same name.

(Cookies for guessing them! :KS)

mysticrider92
July 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I randomly came up with my name from the BMX bike I have. Er...I was younger then? Never have been good at coming up with nicknames or passwords. My new 'favorite' nickname is 'kahuna', which I got from a video game and use on most forums now.

kk0sse54
July 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I looked out my window for inspiration

Ozor Mox
July 24th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Ozor Mox is a character from the game TimeSplitters, a favourite of mine. I've been using this username (or ozormox where no spaces are allowed) online for years.

ashleycurtis
July 25th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Obviously, I got my username from my real name.

imronak
July 25th, 2008, 06:58 AM
My username is imronak, because I am Ronak ;) (my real name)

NikoC
July 25th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Firstname + first letter of my surname

uberlube
July 25th, 2008, 08:04 AM
well uhm.....

Dylock
July 25th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Dylock - a modification of the name Dyluck, who was a character from the SNES game Secret of Mana.

IusedTObeSOMEONEelse
July 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
What I drive and name.