PDA

View Full Version : anyone pownce?

transgress
July 19th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Pownce is kind of growing on me, especially with the more than occasional whales on twitter right now... anyone on pownce? Or twitter for that matter? Would love to get some more friends on there and where better to start than in a group of ubuntu geeks?

i'm mkuslak on both pownce and twitter btw

Mateo
July 19th, 2008, 05:45 AM
have an account but never use it. i don't see the point in the file sharing and picture features, so to me it just seems like twitter with far fewer users.

transgress
July 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
so does no one pownce or twitter or did i just put this thread up in the middle of the night so it just scooted down too far?

helliewm
July 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I am twitter same username as the Ubuntu forum.

Helen

transgress
July 19th, 2008, 04:45 PM
cool i followed you on there.

helliewm
July 19th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Just joined pownce but it looks commercial not really sticking to the open source ethos. Think I prefer twitter.

Helen

helliewm
July 19th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Just following you too. I always use this username so you can find me on the web.

Helen

transgress
July 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM
well pownce is designed a kevin rose and company site... and if you digg then you know they like adds. but twitter is foss either. if you want foss identi.ca is the way to go. Which I must admit is really cool. But I just don't feel like joining another site.

helliewm
July 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Pownce turns me off by asking for money and plus I like twittux and all the addons for Twitter so you don't have to be in your browser.

Helen

helliewm
July 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Agree identi.ca looks excellent may seriously have to join that too.

Helen

helliewm
July 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Just joined identi.ca. It looks brilliant and you can use Pidgin or Kopete excellent.

Same username as Ubuntu forums. Got no friends though:(

Helen

transgress
July 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM
gah i guess you talked me in to it... can't promise i'll use it though.

helliewm
July 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I like the look of it better than Powne more in turn with FOSS.

Helen

transgress
July 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM
i like the distibuted features. like jabber (which it uses xmpp as the backbone for the service so that makes sense)... different servers all connected together. btw i sent you a private message

mrgnash
July 20th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I never liked Twitter, because it didn't work well (or at all, actually) with Pidgin/GTalk, and was very error-prone. This identi.ca is awesome though -- a complete breeze to get up and running. Anyone who signs up and wants to drop me a line can find me under my forum username :)

Mateo
July 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I never liked Twitter, because it didn't work well (or at all, actually) with Pidgin/GTalk, and was very error-prone. This identi.ca is awesome though -- a complete breeze to get up and running. Anyone who signs up and wants to drop me a line can find me under my forum username :)

looks neat, sure. bad thing with pidgin/whatever is that you have to police yourself on length.