PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu."

americanknight
July 19th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I have a laptop with a defective hard drive. I ordered a new one and swapped it with the old one, then booted with the Ubuntu Hardy CD. When I enter the install wizard, I get to the partitioning menu, but it's completely blank. I'm told "You need to specify a partition for the root file system (mount point "/")..." but there's no option to do anything like that, no right-click menu, etc. If I click forward, I get this message "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu."

So I'm guessing that either this is a defective hard drive, and thus the computer can't detect it, or more likely, I need to do some manual mounting and/or partitioning ritual. If so, does anyone know how to do that? Thanks

logos34
July 19th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Check the Bios settings--make sure the drive is being properly detected.

If the installer still gives you the runaround, quit and return to desktop and run >system>admin>partition editor. If it sees the disk, create a ext3 partition for /, and linux-swap for /swap. Then rerun the installer and point it to /.