PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Open Office

marlan
July 19th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Hi Everyone, After 30 years of using DOS then Windows I am totally new to Linux, I have started using Xubuntu on the recommendation of a friend, being so new I need some help.
I want to install Open Office, in the Open Office download list there are a number of different download types:- windows, Linux RPM, Deb, Solaris, could you tell me which one I should download to install in Xubuntu?

Pro-reason
July 19th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Hi Everyone, After 30 years of using DOS then Windows I am totally new to Linux, I have started using Xubuntu on the recommendation of a friend, being so new I need some help.
I want to install Open Office, in the Open Office download list there are a number of different download types:- windows, Linux RPM, Deb, Solaris, could you tell me which one I should download to install in Xubuntu?

If you were to download one of those, it would be the DEB.

But why would you download one of them? OpenOffice is available in the standard repositories (look in Synaptic to see). It is also installed by default most of the time.

SuperSonic4
July 19th, 2008, 01:29 AM
You should download the .deb file although have you checked whether or not it is in the repos first?

SunnyRabbiera
July 19th, 2008, 01:34 AM
All the packages you will need will be in synaptic, no need to randomly search the web for apps like in windows.

ubuntu27
July 19th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Xubuntu dosn't include OpenOffice.org by default unlike UBuntu it seems.

Hello marlan. Welcome to Ubuntu, Xubuntu's community.

In order to install any program, go to

Applications → System → Synaptic Package Manager

and search for the program that you want to install.

In this case look for "openoffice"

You will get lots of results (English dictionary, Japanese dictionary for openoffice, extenions, extras.. etc)

Look specifically for a package called "openoffice.org"

Seclect it, and click on Install.

The Synaptic Package Manager will download and install it for you.

NOTE: You need to be connected to the internet to install programs trough synaptic.

For more information look at link at my signature on how to install programs.

A FAST WAY TO DO IT

1) Go to Applications menu, and then Open TERMINAL

2) Copy and paste the following:

sudo apt-get install openoffice

3) Press Enter on your keyboard

4)type your password.

marlan
July 19th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Thank you all for your very fast responses, never even thought to look under the Synaptic list or whether it had been installed by Xubuntu set up, dead give away that I am so used to windows. I'll go and have a proper look around the system to see what other goodies are hiding. :cool:

SunnyRabbiera
July 19th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Well fortunately it wont be that hard to figure out, ubuntu and its varients are very user friendly.

ubuntu27
July 19th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I'll go and have a proper look around the system to see what other goodies are hiding. :cool:

You're welcome.

I recommend you to visit this site (http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/) so you could learn how to install programs in Ubuntu.
This site covers MANY WAYS in which software can be installed. It has screenshots (pictures), so it is easy to follow.

http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/