PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with security update: "linux-image-2.6.24-19-386"

Zizo
July 18th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I am trying to install the security update: linux-image-2.6.24-19-386. However, at the middle of the installation I get the following error:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.24-19-386_2.6.24-19.36_i386.deb: failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1)

any ideas for a solution?

Thank you in advance

warp99
July 20th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Delete this file:

sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.24-19-386_2.6.24-19.36_i386.deb

then try the update again.

Zizo
July 23rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
Before reading your suggestion, I wanted to empty some space from the /boot partition. So I tried to remove some old kernel versions. I went to 'Synaptic Package Manager', I searched for 'linux-image-2' and tried to completely remove 'linux-image-2.6.24-16-386', the window mentioned that 'linux-image-2.6.24-17-386' is to be removed too. I apply and get the following error message: E: linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-17-386: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1

The second issue now is when I try to install new updates I get the following message: Not all updates can be installed, Run a partial upgrade, to install as many updates as possible.
I run the partial upgrade and I get the following message: Not enough free disk space. The upgrade aborts now. The upgrade needs a total of 31.5M free space on disk '/boot'. Please free at least an additional 22.5M of disk space on '/boot'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'.
I have nothing in the trash and I removed temporary packages using sudo apt-get clean, but the problem persists.

What is going on in my system? I am using Ubuntu 8.04. Any ideas on how to solve the two above mentioned issues that I am having?

Thank you in advance

warp99
July 24th, 2008, 03:36 AM
... Not enough free disk space. The upgrade aborts now. The upgrade needs a total of 31.5M free space on disk '/boot'. Please free at least an additional 22.5M of disk space on '/boot'.

You have a separate partition for your /boot directory and there is not enough drive space on that partition to complete the partial upgrade.

The best thing to do is boot to a Gparted LiveCD or LiveUSB shrinking another partition and growing your /boot partition. You can use a Ubuntu LiveCD/USB to do the same thing, but the Gparted version is much easier. You can get Gparted here:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Once you grow the partition for the additional space you should be able to complete the remaining operations. Just make sure its large enough for future updates.

Zizo
July 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Before reading your suggestion, I wanted to empty some space from the /boot partition. So I tried to remove some old kernel versions. I went to 'Synaptic Package Manager', I searched for 'linux-image-2' and tried to completely remove 'linux-image-2.6.24-16-386', the window mentioned that 'linux-image-2.6.24-17-386' is to be removed too. I apply and get the following error message: E: linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-17-386: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1

I solved the problem by removing everything related to linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-17-386* from /var/lib/dpkg/info and then I issued the following commands:

sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get update

and the problem was solved. Both, linux-image-2.6.24-16-386 and linux-image-2.6.24-17-386 were removed.

The second issue now is when I try to install new updates I get the following message: Not all updates can be installed, Run a partial upgrade, to install as many updates as possible.
I run the partial upgrade and I get the following message: Not enough free disk space. The upgrade aborts now. The upgrade needs a total of 31.5M free space on disk '/boot'. Please free at least an additional 22.5M of disk space on '/boot'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'.
I have nothing in the trash and I removed temporary packages using sudo apt-get clean, but the problem persists.

After removing the above kernel versions I got more space in /boot and I was able to install new updates.

warp99
July 27th, 2008, 02:34 AM
After removing the above kernel versions I got more space in /boot and I was able to install new updates.

I would still grow the partition on /boot so you won't run into this problem in the future.