PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot install Ubuntu on GA-MA74GM-S2H mainboard.

ewh1533
July 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I'm trying to get unbuntu installed and ran into a roadblock from the very beginning.

I just built my system, I'm running an IDE cdrom and HD. No sata drives.

Its the gigabyte mainboard GA-MA74GM-S2h and I'm using the onboard vga for the display.

I install Ubuntu and it never even gets to the partition screen. It loads, shows the loader with the orange bar and then goes into native linux. I'm left with a prompt and a bunch of error messages that went by too quickly to read.

When I attempted the 'try without installing' mode, it did say it couldn't detect my vga so it would only run in low rez mode, however it never ran, I was left with what seemed to be another prompt but there was no unbutu prompt there, just a blank screen I could type stuff into with no response from the kernal.

Please help, I'd like to not have to go back to windows.. if I can help it.

jimv
July 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Download the Alternate CD and try that. It doesn't use the Xserver, so it can have success where the Desktop CD fails.

Pumalite
July 18th, 2008, 11:33 PM
What graphics (video) do you have?

ewh1533
July 19th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Well, I'll post this.. It say's the graphics adapter is a hybrid of two different things, an AMD chip and an ATI chip.

AMD 780G Chipset
The AMD 780G Chipset is the system logic of the latest AM2+ (HyperTransport 3.0) platform from AMD that enables its next generation Phenom™ processors. The AMD 780G chipset integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3200-based graphics architecture. This unique combination of Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP) creates a single motherboard featuring a world-class DX10, Shader Model 4.0 graphics, ATI Avivo™ Technology, and brand-new ATI Hybrid Graphics Technology and AMD UVD (Unified Video Decoder) Technology for faster and smoother game-play, a high quality video processing engine for advance quality of video and DVD playback.

What that means I don't really know.
Edit: Windows detects it as an ATI Radeon 2100 graphics adapter

Which alternate cd are you speaking of, one of the other distrubutions, IE kubuntu etc? Or are you speaking of a alternate installation CD for Ubuntu itself?

I downloaded the ISO file and created the boot disk. Thats what I'm running off of.

jimv
July 19th, 2008, 08:11 AM
The "alternate" cd is a cd that will install Ubuntu without the graphical interface. Here's the download link:

http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/releases/hardy/ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-i386.iso

ewh1533
July 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
The "alternate" cd is a cd that will install Ubuntu without the graphical interface. Here's the download link:

http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/releases/hardy/ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-i386.iso

This solved the problem, Thank you. My graphics are running, but in low rez mode. Being a total newb, I'll have to figure that out, but I'll do that in a separate thread.