PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pci-e card + Onboard video = dual graphics?

jeremygjohn
July 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Is it possible to run Ubuntu 8.04 on a second monitor when it is in Virtualbox. I know virtual machines can be on a second monitor but can my host Windows Vista Ultimate run off my 8600GT and my virtual guest run on the second monitor from onboard graphics?

jeremygjohn
July 18th, 2008, 03:37 PM
bump

overdrank
July 18th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Hi and you may wait a little longer before bumping. I am sure it can be done but configuring your xorg will take some time. I had tried it once but gave up as I did not have the patient. You may search the forums and find some old threads and this one may help
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=854719&highlight=multiple+graphics+cards

jeremygjohn
July 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM
ok nvm i edited this post did not see you reply

overdrank
July 18th, 2008, 04:30 PM
*sigh* does no body know?? seems like i have to triple post EVERYTIME I WANT HELP BEFORE SOMEONE DOES... I guess my questions are too complicated..:(:lolflag:

Well that is to close to bump as you can see I did reply. :)
Why do you say that that you have to triple post? You are a new member and you have only three post?:confused:

jeremygjohn
July 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
sorry i saw your post late i changed my post. And i have had earlier accounts here thats why. But i think that link to the thread you gave me doesnt really help much. I know it is impossible to run onboard and video card at same time but could it be tricked if i ran host on video card and guest virtual machine on onboard graphics? i think it wont work most likely but i hope it will.

overdrank
July 18th, 2008, 04:57 PM
sorry i saw your post late i changed my post. And i have had earlier accounts here thats why. But i think that link to the thread you gave me doesnt really help much. I know it is impossible to run onboard and video card at same time but could it be tricked if i ran host on video card and guest virtual machine on onboard graphics? i think it wont work most likely but i hope it will.

Hi and it can work with the onboard graphics and another graphics card as I have seen threads in the past. As I stated earlier I have tried with nvidia and intel onboard but did not have the patients on Hardy 8.04.
I do hope you know it is against forum rules to have multiple accounts :(

jeremygjohn
July 18th, 2008, 05:02 PM
ok im glad to hear it is possible lol. But i keep trying to install ubuntu in virtual box but i always get host low memory error and i am not running anything else..
if i cant get it to work in a week or so it wont matter because i have a VGA to DVI-I converter being shipped so they would both go into the card then which would be much easier but i still want to try to get this too work because im bored.

bapoumba
July 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM
sorry i saw your post late i changed my post. And i have had earlier accounts here thats why.
I could find 3, would you like to have them merged into this one ? Please send me a list by PM, and we can have it taken care of.

jeremygjohn
July 18th, 2008, 05:26 PM
i dont remember the user names.

bapoumba
July 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM
i dont remember the user names.

Please check your PM box, thanks :)

jeremygjohn
July 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Does any body know how to run onboard graphics with my NVIDIA 8600GT video card and would i have to use virtual box to use the secound one?

jeremygjohn
July 18th, 2008, 07:29 PM
guess ill give up since seems like im not only one with no idea on how to do this...

jeremygjohn
July 18th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Is there anyway to use both of these at same time to use 2 monitors i cannot find a way but people say it is possible on some sites..

jeremygjohn
July 18th, 2008, 11:35 PM
should i ask this somewhere else lol?

jeremygjohn
July 19th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Help

Shazaam
July 19th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Unless you can finagle your pc's bios to run both at the same time I think you will be out of luck.

jeremygjohn
July 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM
..ok people say to look at those dual head guides but i dont think those will help me with my problem i want to use oboard graphics and my 8600GT at same time some people said it was possible to dual screen this way but i cant find out how.

jeremygjohn
July 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM
bump

overdrank
July 19th, 2008, 04:27 PM
..ok people say to look at those dual head guides but i dont think those will help me with my problem i want to use oboard graphics and my 8600GT at same time some people said it was possible to dual screen this way but i cant find out how.

Hi and this is the third thread you have started on the same issue. Not to mention the annoying bumping of the thread sometimes on the hour.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=863581
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=863220
As I stated in your other thread it is not impossible but it requires some work and patients that you are not showing. Hardy's xorg has changed compared to the previous versions and it will take some tweaking and trying different methods to see what works and what does not. The biggest hurdle as I see is if your motherboard will cooperate with the two graphics cards. As some will deactivate the onboard graphics if a another graphics card is installed.

PmDematagoda
July 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM
jeremygjohn, you maybe new to the forum but please try and understand that creating duplicate threads(triplicate in your case) is not allowed since it just makes a mess of everything. Also please understand that you are only allowed one bump within 24 hours.

bapoumba:- I merged the three threads together:).

jeremygjohn
July 20th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Would adding the onboard video device into xorg and making a monitor section using that device enable my secound monitor with onboard and my other monitor on 8600GT?

jeremygjohn
July 20th, 2008, 02:04 PM
do i only get responses when i bump it? lol i give up on you guys i get in trouble f or bumping but then no body will help me unless i do.

overdrank
July 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Would adding the onboard video device into xorg and making a monitor section using that device enable my secound monitor with onboard and my other monitor on 8600GT?

Hi and you may try and use this command
gksu displayconfig-gtk then use this to change and detect your graphics. It will make adjustments to your xorg so it will make it easier.

do i only get responses when i bump it? lol i give up on you guys i get in trouble f or bumping but then no body will help me unless i do.
I have a spare system that I was trying to configure the two graphics on and I will attempt again but I do work nights and have other things to do. The bumping is ok just do it once a day as this subforum does not move as fast as say Beginners.
Edit typo on the command

jeremygjohn
July 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
ok thank you for trying to help if i cant get this to work in like a week ill be able to connect both to video card because my converter will arrive but i still want to try this until then.

gksu displaycofig-gtk does nothing?

overdrank
July 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM
ok thank you for trying to help if i cant get this to work in like a week ill be able to connect both to video card because my converter will arrive but i still want to try this until then.

gksu displaycofig-gtk does nothing?

I do apologize as a typo in place

gksu displayconfig-gtk

jeremygjohn
July 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
ok my converter came today so i have 2 screens on vista business now but like when i run a game my 2nd smaller screen is 1024x768 goes black how came i make it stay in desktop? My main is bigger 1440x900.

overdrank
July 22nd, 2008, 01:53 AM
ok my converter came today so i have 2 screens on vista business now but like when i run a game my 2nd smaller screen is 1024x768 goes black how came i make it stay in desktop? My main is bigger 1440x900.

Hi and are you asking "how to" in windows?

jeremygjohn
July 22nd, 2008, 02:04 AM
nvm what i want to find out is is it possible to get a desktop background to fill both screens but i mean is does not repeat it continues onto the secound one? would it have to be a huge resolution? i have a 2560x1200 and it stops have way on my smaller screen?

jeremygjohn
July 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
is it too soon to bump?

overdrank
July 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
nvm what i want to find out is is it possible to get a desktop background to fill both screens but i mean is does not repeat it continues onto the secound one? would it have to be a huge resolution? i have a 2560x1200 and it stops have way on my smaller screen?

Are we talking Ubuntu? :) Are you using the nvidia settings to adjust you dual monitors? If you have not install the setting as of yet you can do so by using synaptic manager and then use the command
gksu nvidia-settings

jeremygjohn
July 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Yes talking about ubuntu now