PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gedit incorrectly tries open all desktop icons including links to http and media

dpod
July 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I've got a new problem I've never seen before and don't know how to fix:

When I click on a desktop icon for a web page or media file, gedit tries to open the link up (and fails) rather than the correct application. I'm also not given any opportunity to select a different default application from the right click menu.

Anybody have a similar experience? I can't seem to find any reference to the issue when I google. I'm sure a setting somewhere has gone awry, but I can't find anything obvious in Nautilus, Gedit, or Gnome.](*,)

Potatoj316
July 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Try right clicking on the file to open and from there you can choose which program to use, which would be a pain every time. You could also right click on the file and to to properties, there is a tab that should let you choose what program to use to open it.

dpod
July 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Try right clicking on the file to open and from there you can choose which program to use, which would be a pain every time. You could also right click on the file and to to properties, there is a tab that should let you choose what program to use to open it.

Thanks very much. The problem, though, is exactly that neither of these is possible for some reason. I'm not given the "open with" option when I right click or when I look in properties.

Potatoj316
July 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM
In nautilus you can go to edit -> prefrences and there you can chage what opens some types of files, i dont know if thats what you need or not. There is also a config file you could edit, ill have to look up wich it is

dpod
July 18th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I tried that as well. I'm not being present with the default application option in either place. I wonder could it be something in gconf? I was in there earlier in the week playing around with log-in and log-out, but I'm not sure this happened right away, and I think it may also be sporodic if that is possible.