PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update firefox 3.0 to 3.0.1

chanfle
July 18th, 2008, 08:11 PM
hi all
how i can update firefox 3.0 to 3.0.1 on hardy...?
exist any repositories....???
i waiting your replays

firefeather
July 18th, 2008, 08:15 PM
The update comes through update manager, so you can start update manager and click "Check for updates"

chanfle
July 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM
ok
but on this moment i don't have any update for firefox....

firefeather
July 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Oh...yep, I realized my mistake. The update is in hardy proposed, not main. Here's how you get the proposed updates (more likely to be unstable, but more up-to-date) if that's what you want to do:

Go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources
Enter your password
Switch to the Updates tab
Click Pre-released updates (proposed)

Ozdemon
July 18th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Oh...yep, I realized my mistake. The update is in hardy proposed, not main. Here's how you get the proposed updates (more likely to be unstable, but more up-to-date) if that's what you want to do:

Go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources
Enter your password
Switch to the Updates tab
Click Pre-released updates (proposed)

Should I uncheck the pre-released updates after doing the Firefox update? In other words, is leaving it as a source likely to lead to me installing buggy software?

Tks

firefeather
July 19th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Should I uncheck the pre-released updates after doing the Firefox update? In other words, is leaving it as a source likely to lead to me installing buggy software?

Tks

You might want to see this link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports#-backports%20vs%20-proposed/-updates/-security) on the community documentation; the main thing it says is

This repository is recommend to ONLY interested in helping to test updates and provide feedback. Since they are in effect testing updates, there is a higher chance of defective updates in this repository.

Since Firefox 3.0.1 is a security update and is programmed by Mozilla intentionally not to break things, I would say it's safe to install Firefox from there. As for the rest of proposed, it's better to uncheck it afterward. It's still not likely to break your system, but it still could happen to some degree.

Hope this helps!