PDA

View Full Version : funny advantage ! Linux over MS

raven
November 5th, 2005, 03:43 AM
I was reading in an another forum about a beginer asking
what the advantage of Linux over MSwindows, funny here it go...look@#5

beginer>What I am simply asking is that from this very practical point of view, where does linux have an advantage??

ans>if you are a normal user ?
normal user = surf internet, send emails, listem MP3 or streaming audio, watch TV (if he have a TV card), play DVD's, burn CD's, documents treatement (office), chat (messenger), P2P (kazaa)...

if you agree on these points of a normal user than here are the advantages from my point of view.

1- you can update all your programs to the latest versions in 1 place, what I mean you can update(your OS, all you media players, actually all your programs in couple of clicks), on windows you have to go to winupdate, authenticate your winver(even if it take a sec you still have to do it) than go to ex: winamp, realplayer, quicktimes, kazaa, or what ever you have AntiVirus your firewall and so on...

2- Linux is more secure against viruses, no spywares, addwares (if you don't get infected that is fine) but definetly the chance are lower in linux, and it's worth mentioning.

3-you can modify it the way you want, let me explain, ex: *you double click on officeXP and you see the splash screen it is your tipical MSoffice thing, on linux Openoffice.org, it is so easy to put any picture, example I want my daughter picture (maybe you do not care) but it is an advantage, you can change the login screens so easy and you have so many schems for free go kdelook.org and gnomelook.org,*I want more than 1 task bar
in linux you can have as much as you want in couple of clicks, so the point is customizing the way you feel like it. maybe you want the flag of your country when you boot your machine maybe your girfriend...

4-and this is the most important advantage in my opinion linux is more robust, you will be amazed how robust it is...when an application freezes does not take the system down with it, you kill the application(and yes it will die from the first time not as MSWIN when the system freezes even taskmanager does not comes up) it is only with use that you will be surprised by Linux.

5- Last but not least, the ONE advantage that linux have over any windows,
where Linux users AND MSwin users agree on is ?

http://meriger.balder.prohosting.com/linux.htm

Rule
November 5th, 2005, 05:34 AM
cool...you can cahnge openoffice's boot screen how do I do it I can think of a few pics I wouldn't mind seeing :D

fuscia
November 5th, 2005, 06:00 AM
in windows, i think all one has to do to change the boot screen, is to replace the pic and call the new one by the same name as the old one.

xmastree
November 5th, 2005, 06:07 AM
in windows, i think all one has to do to change the boot screen, is to replace the pic and call the new one by the same name as the old one.Not sure about XP, but I the 98 boot screen can be changed. The new one has to be exactly the same size, both pixel dimensions and filesize. So it has to be a 250 colour BMP, IIRC it gets stretched 2x horizontally, so it's best to make the new one 'normal' shape then shrink it.
Then you rename it to, erm, something .rle
The same can be done with the shutdown screen(s).

raven
November 5th, 2005, 06:16 AM
cool...you can cahnge openoffice's boot screen how do I do it I can think of a few pics I wouldn't mind seeing :D

search for intro.bmp usually it's in usr/lib/openoffice2/program

here is 2 links for OOo splash intro
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=22830
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=22816

raven
November 5th, 2005, 06:41 AM
in windows, i think all one has to do to change the boot screen, is to replace the pic and call the new one by the same name as the old one.

Sorry fuscia but I have to tell you, when ever you post something
please do post the solution. ex: how to change the Msoffice splash intro
where is the pic ? what the name of the pic ?
that's what community is about

Rule
November 5th, 2005, 07:29 AM
cool after posting I did a search and found what I needed to do :)

I rarely use OOo but i've opened it a few times just to see the pic I used hahaha