PDA

View Full Version : The "K" in KDE

patrickaupperle
July 18th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I finally found out what it stands for. I though some of you might be waundering also, so here it is:
From Wikipedia

The name KDE was intended as a word play on the existing Common Desktop Environment, available for Unix systems. CDE was an X11-based user environment jointly developed by HP, IBM, and Sun, through the X/Open Company, with an interface and productivity tools based on the Motif graphical widget toolkit. It was supposed to be an intuitively easy-to-use desktop computer environment.[3] The K was originally suggested to stand for "Kool", but it was quickly decided that the K should stand for nothing in particular. Additionally, one of the tips in certain versions of KDE 3 incorrectly states that the K currently is just meant to be the letter before L in the Latin alphabet, the first letter in the word Linux (which is where KDE is usually run)

Zlatan
July 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I finally found out what it stands for. I though some of you might be waundering also, so here it is:
From Wikipedia

oh!
:D

tuxxy
July 18th, 2008, 04:17 PM
and heres me thinking it always thinking it was always Krap :lolflag:

Ozor Mox
July 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Definitely the right choice not to stick with Kool, yuck!

wrtpeeps
July 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
"Kool" is as bad at being part of a name as KDE is at being a WM. :lolflag:

patrickaupperle
July 18th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Definitely the right choice not to stick with Kool, yuck!
:lolflag:

doorknob60
July 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I knew this, but I'd like to know what other people thought it was :lolflag:

init1
July 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah I always wondered what that meant :D

Canis familiaris
July 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM
"Kool" is as bad at being part of a name as KDE is at being a WM. :lolflag:

Actually KDE is not as bad. I do not like KDE in Kubuntu either, I prefer GNOME, but few KDE distros like PCLinuxOS, OpenSUSE are fantastic IMO, though I prefer GNOME in Ubuntu.

gletob
July 18th, 2008, 08:47 PM
In my opinion the K stand for Krap
Just Kidding its an ok DE but I'm an Gnome person

saulgoode
July 18th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Can you guess what the "POS" in Posix stands for? ;)

Ioky
July 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
good to know, good to know, I though it is just K, Well, I am half right half wrong. haha. I know the the whole truth.

days_of_ruin
July 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
The worst thing about kde is that almost every apps name has a k in it.
It gets old.fast.

tamoneya
July 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM
i always thought they were trying to copy GNU (GNU Not Unix) and that K stood for KDE making it KDE Desktop Environment.

patrickaupperle
July 18th, 2008, 10:42 PM
To all kde haters. I used to hate kde also, then I tried arch linux and it's KDEmod. Check out these screens. ALso everything is really configurable. With the optimization of KDEmod, it runs faster then xubuntu for me. What's not to like?
Also, I love amarok. My favorite thing, though, is kio Slaves. I can type, in my web/file browser (konqueror), fish://(user name)@(Host Name), and it lets me transfer files over open ssh.

D-EJ915
July 19th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Kicks the **** out of GNOME is what it stands for, lol.

Bachstelze
July 19th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Turned into a flamewar.

Thread closed.