PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP tx1150ea Vista dual boot = easy

pseudo-random
July 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Thought I'd share a success story with the HP tx1150ea tablet PC as I noticed there's only one thread referencing it that I've found so far and it doesn't make for good reading for any aspiring Ubuntu Converts.

A friend requested Ubuntu for his new HP tx 1150 ea Tablet PC.
He needed office software and his OEM Vista didn't have any, usual story...
Together we booted off the Hardy live-CD and used gparted to shrink his 160GB Drive to 80GB then created a new 80GB ext2 partition. It installed fine, only criticism was it didn't migrate the Vista accounts but I know this works with XP as I've done that before and this friend didn't have anything to migrate anyhow.
Anyway,
Rebooted, and GRUB had listed Vista in its menu giving him the choice straight away. :)
If only all Windows/Linux Dual-boots were this easy!
Ubuntu logged in fine to his gnome desktop which I was impressed with since I was expecting a WSOD based on that other thread.
I showed him where to find the word-processor and he's happy.
He's not fussed about getting all the laptops gadgets working with it but he's happy to try: Fingerprint-scanner, Integrated webcam/Mic, stylus/touchscreen.

This was by far the most painless Ubuntu/Vista Dual-boot setup I've ever done and I think it's a credit to the Team that it worked so smoothly.

So, My advice to anyone pondering over Dual-booting Vista/Ubuntu is do it. It's easier than ever.