PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to this whole thing :S

mattalexander
July 18th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hey

im new to this how thing but i currently have an XP computer and I wish to install Ubuntu. I have the latest version on cd and I am currently running it from CD but id like to install it.

however, I want to install it as like a desktop item or have an opition to boot in XP or Ubuntu as its not just my computer.

any help would be great :)

silkstone
July 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM
When you install Ubuntu you have the option to wipe the drive/partition and install it on its own, or to retain any existing OS and dual boot. The installation routine should detect that XP is already there.

After installing Ubuntu, on boot-up you will get the Grub boot menu which lets you decide which OS to use.

Before doing a full install, I would make sure that the existing XP drive/partition is properly defragmented.

RuleMaker
July 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Insert the ubuntu CD in your CD/DVD drive and reboot your computer. Go to bios settings (usually by pressing the "delete" key while booting up).
Change your first booting device to CD/DVD rom and second to hard disk and finally save settings.
Then your computer will reboot again and the ubuntu installation menu should appear. Chose "Install ubuntu" (or something like that) and then just follow the installation steps like when you installing any other application.
Ubuntu installation will automatically detect other operating systems and update the GRUB, so every time you turn on your computer you'll be asket which OS you want to boot in.

Note: when you are asked how you want to partition the HD, choose "manual" otherwise you could lose your data. It's recommended to backup your important data before you start with the installation.

haegl
July 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Welcome aboard :)

just follow this (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm) guide