PDA

View Full Version : Junior Unix System Admin

TreeFinger
July 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I still have another year of school left. I am wondering how I could prepare to apply for a Junior Sysadmin position after I graduate? I've read 'Beginning Unix' and I am working on becoming proficient in python. I only have one server set up at home that I can play around with but I'm not sure what to do with it. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

My degree will not be CS. It is a BS degree in IT. Will this be a problem for me and my career goal?

rickyjones
July 18th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I still have another year of school left. I am wondering how I could prepare to apply for a Junior Sysadmin position after I graduate? I've read 'Beginning Unix' and I am working on becoming proficient in python. I only have one server set up at home that I can play around with but I'm not sure what to do with it. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

My degree will not be CS. It is a BS degree in IT. Will this be a problem for me and my career goal?

Your degree will probably not be a hindrance. However in my experience the Unix Admin positions usually look for prior experience with the version of Unix the company is using, in addition to some prior Linux experience.

If you haven't yet then I strongly urge you to look into an internship at a company using a Unix. That would give you the experience and you have a better shot of getting in with your Linux experience. Most interns are brought on-board to give them the new experience.

That should fulfill your requirements and make you more employable down the road.

Sincerely,
Richard

TreeFinger
July 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Your degree will probably not be a hindrance. However in my experience the Unix Admin positions usually look for prior experience with the version of Unix the company is using, in addition to some prior Linux experience.

If you haven't yet then I strongly urge you to look into an internship at a company using a Unix. That would give you the experience and you have a better shot of getting in with your Linux experience. Most interns are brought on-board to give them the new experience.

That should fulfill your requirements and make you more employable down the road.

Sincerely,
Richard
Thank you, for the reply.

I'm actually doing an internship right now with a company in the process implementing Linux servers but the only work I have done for them is some research... I don't think I am trusted doing anything else.

Changturkey
July 18th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread, but what does a person with a CS degree do? I am trying to decide between SE and CS.

wrtpeeps
July 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread, but what does a person with a CS degree do? I am trying to decide between SE and CS.

Software engineering is just that (assuming thats what you mean by SE).

Computer Science goes a bit deeper. You will learn "how and why things work", basically.