PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu 8.04.1 as guest using vmware

Jeremy Artaman
July 18th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Hi all,
I apologise beforehand for posting, first of all because the question might be very novice and also because maybe this is not the right place to ask this question.
I want to install ubuntu 8.04.1 as guest operating system on an hp mini-note 2133, which doesnt have a cd-rom drive (neither do i have an external one). I ve read threads that you can do a native installation of ubuntu using a USB stick. My question is: when trying to install through vmware as a guest, can i do something similar and 'instruct' vmware to load the image from a USB stick, or do i definitely need to get a cdrom drive and physically insert the ubuntu cdrom to start the installation?
Any suggestions more than welcome
Cheers!

overdrank
July 18th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Hi all,
I apologise beforehand for posting, first of all because the question might be very novice and also because maybe this is not the right place to ask this question.
I want to install ubuntu 8.04.1 as guest operating system on an hp mini-note 2133, which doesnt have a cd-rom drive (neither do i have an external one). I ve read threads that you can do a native installation of ubuntu using a USB stick. My question is: when trying to install through vmware as a guest, can i do something similar and 'instruct' vmware to load the image from a USB stick, or do i definitely need to get a cdrom drive and physically insert the ubuntu cdrom to start the installation?
Any suggestions more than welcome
Cheers!

HI and this is funny as you made a post about Feisty and vmware a year ago. :)
I would suggest looking here first
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=308

Jeremy Artaman
July 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM
HI and this is funny as you made a post about Feisty and vmware a year ago. :)
I would suggest looking here first
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=308

Thanks!
But u have to admit though that the question last year was in a different context :)

overdrank
July 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks!
But u have to admit though that the question last year was in a different context :)

Oh yea, I was not trying to imply it was. Just that is was funny that almost a year to the date later with another question.

:lolflag:

Jeremy Artaman
July 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Oh yea, I was not trying to imply it was. Just that is was funny that almost a year to the date later with another question.

:lolflag:

I didnt buy another laptop meanwhile and 7.04 on my old 'main' laptop works fine...i just had to disable folder sharing and 'drag and drop' between guest and host, which is not something i cannot leave without to be honest...but apart from that it does what i need it to do :)
Just thought to install the latest release on the new one :popcorn: