PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Ubuntu PC recommendations

kneewax
July 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Hi Guys,

I have been using Ubuntu full time for since New Year on my old Amilo Pro laptop. In September I will be looking to replace the laptop with a new desktop. The Big Question is whether to buy a PC with ******* OEM, just to wipe the disk and replace it with Hardy (and a ******* Vbox for occasional use). Or to go the whole hog and by a PC with Hardy on it ready to ship.

I know Dell do Ubuntu machines, but they seem to only be on the higher end of the Dell range AND they are still on Gusty (not a major issue, but I am happy with Hardy now).

Traditionally I prefer branded PCs rather than clones, but am intrigued by these guys:

http://efficientpc.co.uk/

Does anyone have experience of their builds? I am looking for something that will last me, although I don't mind getting under the bonnet from time to time, I don't want to have to do it too regularly it gets in the way of the day job!

Anyone else that you can recommend for an Ubuntu PC?

Cheers AliM

Berean
July 18th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Hi Guys,
The Big Question is whether to buy a PC with ******* OEM, just to wipe the disk and replace it with Hardy (and a ******* Vbox for occasional use). Or to go the whole hog and by a PC with Hardy on it ready to ship
If you're competent in installing Linux then why not purchase a Windows box and install Ubuntu, and have both OSs. In my experience, despite not wanting Windows, it can come in handy periodically. But...if you're not interested, then an Ubuntu install would probably be cheaper.

I know Dell do Ubuntu machines, but they seem to only be on the higher end of the Dell range AND they are still on Gusty (not a major issue, but I am happy with Hardy now)
Dell's laptops can be bought for approximately £300, but as you state, it's Gutsy. You suggest a PC. Does it have to be a tower, or would you be happy with a notebook? If so, although I don't have one at present, I've used HP in the past (can't remember the model) and have been impressed with the compatibility.

Does anyone have experience of their builds? I am looking for something that will last me, although I don't mind getting under the bonnet from time to time, I don't want to have to do it too regularly it gets in the way of the day job!
Pesky day jobs! Why not go to a local computer shop and tell them how much you have to spend, and ask what they can offer you, bearing in mind Linux compatibility? Alternatively, if you don't mind getting under the bonnet, have a go at building one yourself? Excellent experience! Regards,

hyper_ch
July 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM
IMHO try to find an intel based plattform. intel video card, intel wifi chip, .... then most (if not all) should work out of the box.

exploder
July 19th, 2008, 01:17 PM
hyper_ch, has the right idea. I bought a Compaq Presario SR5410F, it is all Intel and it works perfectly with Ubuntu. I chose this particular pc because it was very inexpensive, looked decent and it is perfectly capable of running compiz if I want to.

I agree with hyper_ch completely on his suggestion.

ugm6hr
July 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I read on their blog that Dell are shipping Hardy now.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
July 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I look forward to not paying the microsoft tax any more.

Now if only dell could offer more choice for their ubuntu laptops ...

kneewax
July 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
IMHO try to find an intel based plattform. intel video card, intel wifi chip, .... then most (if not all) should work out of the box.

Really. Fair enuff I guess they are the standard. I have always preferred AMD myself. I wonder if there is any real compatability differences?

OscarPapa
July 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
You should consider buying all the computer parts and assemble it by yourself. You will end up saving a substantial amount of money relative to buying a pre-built computer. If you are going for a laptop I can't offer any advice because I regret my laptop purchase to the fullest. :(

YaroMan86
July 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
My recommendation: Build your own Ubuntu PC from the ground up.

tashmooclam
July 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Intel is promoting and supporting Linux, so their wireless cards work without any fiddling around. If you have a Walmart nearby, you can get one of those Everex gPCs with a kind of Ubuntu called gOS already installed. Here they are $200, laptops $379.

liquidfunk
July 19th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Get the one I have in my Signature.

From Dell UK Small & Medium Business. £300 + £40ish for the Nv8500 Card.

I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless card, but that only works with NDISwrapper.

My thoughts ^_^

xakh
July 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Really. Fair enuff I guess they are the standard. I have always preferred AMD myself. I wonder if there is any real compatability differences?

Actually, I just built an AMD/ATI box, and it is awesome. I actually have had good experience with Atheros wireless, with that tutorial on the forums. At any rate, I always have trouble finding Linux sellers with AMD/ATI, but I always have a lot MORE trouble dealing with anything else. So, if you wanna get your hands dirty, build one, or ask over at zareason. They'll build it for ya, and install the OS! (also they have the snazzy Ubuntu keyboards)

YaroMan86
July 19th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Intel is promoting and supporting Linux, so their wireless cards work without any fiddling around. If you have a Walmart nearby, you can get one of those Everex gPCs with a kind of Ubuntu called gOS already installed. Here they are $200, laptops $379.

They are a bit hard to get... they sell very quickly/

ugm6hr
July 19th, 2008, 11:42 PM
They are a bit hard to get... they sell very quickly/

And not available in the UK.

A cheap Linux PC: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145774
A very cheap (no-OS, but Linux compatible) Server with 3 year warranty: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146548 (just add PCI-E x16 graphics card)
Tesco used to do Linux PCs too - check out their website too.

I have seen efficientPC website, and they look reasonable, but have never bought anything from them.

steveneddy
July 20th, 2008, 10:04 PM
www.system76.com

System76 rocks!

Great Ubuntu support and wonderful machines.

I think you can get better specs with a System76 box than the Dell stuff anyway.