PDA

View Full Version : YOUR experience with Online privacy

ubuntu27
July 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Today I "googled" my e-mail address and behold! Google returned some results. My name was imprinted on it. I was shocked at first, then I calmed down.
The google's search result gave links to pages that shows my work as a translator of some Open Source projects.

I have created this thread to see how many of you can find your name or e-mail address when you search for it with an search-engine.

It will be nice if you also tell me of your reaction. :D

lisati
July 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I just googled my name, and was given 8 results pages! Mind you, although my real name isn't common here in New Zealand, I have apparently a few name-sakes scattered around the world. The first listing on Google was for a web page I set up a few years back before I changed ISP and that I'd forgotten to delete, and the second entry on the second page was a note of my registration at the Linux counter website.

In the past, I've turned up email addresses I'd set up and forgotten about....

EDIT: I just found a quote on a website that I didn't immediately recall having anything to do with, but then I remembered a request going out another forum that's got nothing to do with technology.

Greyed
July 18th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I've been participating on the internet since the early-to-mid-90s. I can still find posts from my late-teens, early-20s that are archived everywhere. My email address gets a few thousand hits, easily.

Oh, and the coolest thing I've found while Googling my name; someone actually has something I said as a sig! :D

Jim!
July 18th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Hahaha:D I found a bunch of posts from my Windows days ""SUCHOST.EXE-118DF72B.pf" Question regarding virus deletion"..Good times, good times:D

the_hardy_kid
July 18th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I googled my email address...

I got my Bebo. I expected as much though...

MaxIBoy
July 18th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Search for my name came up with local stuff (astronomy club, robotics club, synagogue... come to think of it, I didn't give the synagogue permission to put my name up just 'cause my grandmother died.)

Email address came up with three results, two of which were from astronomy club, one of which was from QuakeUnity (which is weird, because I've only posted twice there.)

NovaAesa
July 18th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Email didn't come up with any hits, my name did though. It was just my launchpad account. My father came up with a whole heap of hits though (we share the same name).

Kvark
July 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Oops, the first result for my email address is my Pirate Party member profile. I hope the local software companies I email my CV to when in an optimistic mood don't Google me. 8-[

gn2
July 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Nothing for my e-mail address, but my name always brings up a load of hits for a famous actor, one of whose middle names is the same as mine.

samjh
July 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Email address: none.

Name: many results but only one of them is actually me.

Raistlin82
July 18th, 2008, 11:05 AM
email brings a link up for.... wait for it.... Ubuntu forums :) Name brings loadsa stuff but not many are mine

Barrucadu
July 18th, 2008, 11:30 AM
My name returns hundreds of different people, my email address however returns 45 results, and my username, over 5000.

ubuntu27
July 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Hhmm.. I should have added the option to vote for "Both my e-mail and my name returned some results."

I made this thread at 12 AM, I was so sleepy.

Nothing for my e-mail address, but my name always brings up a load of hits for a famous actor, one of whose middle names is the same as mine.

My name gives me hundreds of result, the first result is linked to a doctor's website whose name is the same as mine.

Oops, the first result for my email address is my Pirate Party member profile. I hope the local software companies I email my CV to when in an optimistic mood don't Google me. 8-[

Pirate Party? What's that? So you are the descendant (or reincarnation) of the real pirate of the Caribbean ? :P :guitar:

Hahaha:D I found a bunch of posts from my Windows days ""SUCHOST.EXE-118DF72B.pf" Question regarding virus deletion"..Good times, good times:D

hehehe. We all have a little "autobiography" and "history" online :D

Email didn't come up with any hits, my name did though. It was just my launchpad account. My father came up with a whole heap of hits though (we share the same name).

My e-mail address also gave me a link to my launchpad account. I am not active as I used to be. I will visit it today and see where can I contribute.

bp1509
July 19th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Related Reading: http://tuxtraining.com/2008/07/02/safety-online/

y6FgBn)~v
July 19th, 2008, 12:40 AM
email resulted with 0 hits
name with numerous (its a common name) hits.

nick09
July 19th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Email: Did get one result but it was not identifing any information about me in any way of my real life or even a image of me.

Name: Is it my real name or username? If its my name: It gave me different people, even a Schafer Construction company and no my family does not run a construction company just FYI.:lolflag:

Username: I got 6150 results, as mine is common.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
July 19th, 2008, 03:37 AM
My email address only turned up a few results. What really turned stuff up (14 pages worth) was just my handle. I've been using the same handle for about 4 years or so, and for a few different things, and managed to rack up some pages. Most of it? Ubuntu forums, OSNews, and Launchpad. :popcorn:

sp0nge
July 19th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I have searched myself quite extensively and have found that I did rather well keeping my trail under control until I bought my house. Now I am rather easy to find on the street. Nothing online though!

Shazaam
July 19th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Email=none
Name=none
Monikers used at different sites=WOW!
:)

jpeddicord
July 19th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I'm all over Google. I'm not very private about things on the Internet; everything I do I do with my real name and email. Keeps things transparent, so anyone wanting to know who you are don't have to wonder as much.

It's gotten so far that Google corrects my name if mistyped now:
jacob peddicord (http://www.google.com/search?q=jacob+peddicord) (correct)
jacob peddcord (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=jacob+peddcord) (missing an I)