PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen on install

erans
July 17th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Trying to install Ubuntu on an old Pentium 3. I'm loading from the live CD, and after the loading bar fills up, the screen goes black. I tried finding an answer to this online and couldn't. Any ideas?

lukjad
July 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I'm running a Celeron 633. That's around a PIII. My problem was that I was putting the CD into the wrong disk drives. If you have 2 CD drive, try switching the CD from one to the other. If that doesn't work, you may have them set up incorrectly or you may have a damaged disk.

wpshooter
July 17th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Trying to install Ubuntu on an old Pentium 3. I'm loading from the live CD, and after the loading bar fills up, the screen goes black. I tried finding an answer to this online and couldn't. Any ideas?

How much memory does this machine have ?

What version of Ubuntu are you attempting to install ?

erans
July 17th, 2008, 10:16 PM
The machine has 128 MB of RAM and I'm attempting the latest version of Ubuntu (but I plan to switch to XFCE desktop as soon as it's installed).

I booted in safemode with nosplash and some other modifiers (can't remember atm) and I got to what looked like a terminal line ("ubuntu@ubuntu$"). I had absolutely no idea what to do at that point.

lukjad
July 17th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Try something like

startx
That might work.

avtolle
July 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM
At 128 mb RAM, I'm guessing that you might want to take a look at Xubuntu. See also this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems for some other ideas (yes, it's a bit dated, but has good information).

lukjad
July 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM
True. I guess that might be a good thing to try.