PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to boot from the slave drive with a dead master drive

drdont
July 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I've got windows 2000 on the master drive and ubuntu 7.10 on the slave drive. Grub then automatically sends the computer to load linux.

But the master drive just died. I don't really need windows on this pc that much and the pc itself is 6 years old so I'm wondering what I can do to boot linux? Like I'm thinking if I have a CD in the CD rom drive that would direct the computer to boot linux that would make me happy for now.

Anyone have a good solution?

Thanks in advance,

Don Tveter, don@dontveter.com

Pumalite
July 17th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Have you tried Super Grub?

drdont
July 19th, 2008, 12:44 AM
An update: while puttering around with what I thought was a Windows boot CD that was actually a boot CD from Red Hat 7.3 the system started booting. I have to wonder if the installation of a new kernel the day before created the problem. But the drive was making noises and the firmware said it could not contact the drive. I guess I cannot really say which drive was the problem.

But thank you for the super grub suggestion. I have it on a CD but I have yet to fully test it out. On my first and only try it hung when it got to "boot". About one out of 10 times the system hangs just after saying "Starting up ...". I need to run more tests. It seems like everyone should have a super grub CD ready.

Thanks again,

Don Tveter, don@dontveter.com

Pumalite
July 19th, 2008, 02:46 AM
You are welcome. Good luck!