PDA

View Full Version : You know you're a geek when........

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

bonzodog
November 4th, 2005, 09:50 PM
How do YOU know you're a geek?

I'll start...

You know you're a geek when you can hold an entire conversation with friends in linux CLI talk......(i.e. 'cat /proc/lookattheassonthat!') or ('cd /pub/beer')

majikstreet
November 4th, 2005, 10:12 PM
You know you're a geek when you start to notice that people are crazy.

(maybe that's just if you're insane... I don't know which part of me says that)

-m

linbetwin
November 4th, 2005, 10:16 PM
You know you're a geek when it's too late.

Stormy Eyes
November 4th, 2005, 10:27 PM
You know you're a geek when you can quote every line of dialogue in Spaceballs and know every movie or book the movie is spoofing in a given scene.

dabear
November 4th, 2005, 10:35 PM
You know you're a geek when..

You have used words like "lol", "leet" and "omg" in daily speech
You miss the F1 button under math classes
You say lol instead of laughing.. or you write :D, :P in essays at school
You try yo get into the BIOS of your car
You scream "Just ****ing google it" when somebody asks a simple question in the class
You accuse everybody running faster than your self of using speed hack
You've got The Flu and are trying to do a virus check
Somebody asks you about your address, you give them: 192.12.0.140
You are seriously considering asking your doctor how much you can overclock your brain
At Macdonalds, you're ordering a 160MB hamburger
You wish you've ordered your house through Microsoft, it would be so easy to just take the backdoor in..

Snakey
November 4th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Who doesn't use that :p

You scream "Just ****ing google it" when somebody asks a simple question in the classAlways :p

Almost, I always say 127.0.0.1 :p

Kyral
November 4th, 2005, 10:47 PM
When you are typing out a path in the Forums and you try to tab-complete it.

You understood the above ;P

dabear
November 4th, 2005, 10:58 PM
You find it more natural to count 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 than 1,2,3,4,5,6..
The most physical part of your day is gowing up and down the stairs, getting more coke
Your chair has over time grown into a perfect replica of your ass
Somebody yells at you, and you're desperately looking for the "mute"-button

poofyhairguy
November 4th, 2005, 11:19 PM
You try not to use public computers because you don't want to see all the problems with the way they are administered- cause you will see them.

(plus you miss the extra screen).

You talk about torrents or Open Source Software to friends like you are selling Amway.

You dream about screensavers.

You have trouble translating Apple's ratios for music (* songs) to what you understand (GB!). I mean....songs are different sizes right?

****mind explodes*****

Pathogenix
November 4th, 2005, 11:26 PM
You use "zeroth" as the first position in a queue or other sequence of arbitrary size.

You were actually excited when you discovered caca output for xine.

You can no longer watch TV because adverts make you reach for alt-f4.

Malfunctioning computers, or poorly factored code cause you genuine physical and emotional pain.

Your fatherly happy thought is not teaching your son to ride a bicycle, but to hack Python.

MetalMusicAddict
November 4th, 2005, 11:26 PM
You know you're a geek when you can quote every line of dialogue in Spaceballs and know every movie or book the movie is spoofing in a given scene.
Yep. Thats me. I Am A Geek. :) But... I am not a nerd. ;)

dolny
November 4th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Heh... I always say LOL! loudly and then laugh, or just say 'LOL' :) People sometimes don't know what's going on. But hey... I learned it from one girl - a friend of mine. She was always laughing like that and it sticked with me ;)

bored2k
November 4th, 2005, 11:31 PM
when you wish life had a google bar.

when you wish your glasses had adblock (i'd freakin' use glasses just for that!)

your definition of "leisure" sums up in two words: linux and anime.

lexor
November 4th, 2005, 11:39 PM
A nice looking women sits up next to you and says Hi.

You reply with...So what kinda O/S do you have.

majikstreet
November 4th, 2005, 11:40 PM
You find it more natural to count 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 than 1,2,3,4,5,6..

thats me!

Kvark
November 4th, 2005, 11:46 PM

I would reply with...So, do you know how to program?

If yes, then we'd have a lot to talk about. If no, then there is no use she wouldn't understand me anyway. I guess thats why I don't have a GF.

Some signs of being a geek I've noticed are...

You call your real life friends by their online nicks instead of their names.
You talk to your real life friends over IRC more often then in person.
You feel like it is a disaster when your ISP goes down.
You know your IP address by heart.
You frequently think in English or a programming language instead of whatever language is spoken at your location.
You look at a clever math formula or program algorithm and think it is the most beutiful poetry you have ever read.
The only way to force you to go home from school/work is to block your access to their fat internet connection when your shift is up.

OtubrabNad
November 4th, 2005, 11:47 PM
You post a reply in a "You know you're a geek when..." thread.

bored2k
November 4th, 2005, 11:59 PM

lmao.

towsonu2003
November 4th, 2005, 11:59 PM
You wanna ./configure make && make install a Linux government at /home/user[tab-complete]

tseliot
November 5th, 2005, 12:16 AM
you enjoy customising your distros and reading news about Linux more than playing xbox/Ps2 games.

you can't resist five minutes without thinking and/or talking about Linux (or using it)

xequence
November 5th, 2005, 12:32 AM
1. When you get annoyed at the fact they use Windows at school.
2. You look at the hardware and software of school computers and price how much each computer costs. (Dell Optiplex, 512 MB RAM, Pentium 4, 80 GB HD, about 3000$ of software + 800$ hardware = about 4000$)
3. When you tell your friends how much RAM and what kind of processor and what clock speed the processor is of the video game systems they own.

Not funny ones, but true.

yabbadabbadont
November 5th, 2005, 12:32 AM
You have annoyed your (non-programmer) friends by comparing the design and implementation of a complex program to writing a novel.

I learned which ones were true friends that day... the ones who didn't walk away. :D

Master Shake
November 5th, 2005, 12:36 AM
You don't go get food, you go get GRUB

Kimm
November 5th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Lol, nice one

You frequently think in English or a programming language instead of whatever language is spoken at your location.
You look at a clever math formula or program algorithm and think it is the most beutiful poetry you have ever read.

Thats almost creepy 8-[

When you wish you could have a pet penguin running around in the house

ember
November 5th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Mhmm ... maybe:

Two children are frequently calling you daddy, but you just can't remember their names, because they are not on your messenger's contact list

majikstreet
November 5th, 2005, 12:52 AM

Again, you have figured me out! Why use the most insecure operating system I ask?

bored2k
November 5th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Again, you have figured me out! Why use the most insecure operating system I ask?
Until you're able to actually prove it with real facts and statistics, it's not.

xequence
November 5th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Until you're able to actually prove it with real facts and statistics, it's not.

Is there someone different in that account now?

I just did a new install of windows 2000. I was playing quake 3 arena when I started getting little popups, like system popups... Telling me my PC was infected and I should go to a website to get a spyware program. They happen every couple minutes. Now if something can go wrong where it lets spyware in that easily then something is wrongly insecure. I only used IE to download firefox, and I dont go to crack sites (which are usually a known source for spyware) in windows. I have only gone on ubuntuforums and wordpress in firefox.

It is just a well known fact - Windows gets spyware, viruses, and is all around unsecure. I am not going to pretend to know why since they have an $8 billion R&D budget, but its just the way things are and I dont think it is going to change anytime soon with vista.

bored2k
November 5th, 2005, 01:25 AM
I was just giving you food for thought. Back to topic at hand now..

Ampersand
November 5th, 2005, 01:27 AM
You can count to 1023 on your fingers (useful if you've ever played french horn in an orchestra...)

You sit for hours watching the terminal as software compiles

You start conversations with 'ping' (or 220)

You confuse the staff in Maplin (or whatever electronics/computer shops your country has)

bonzodog
November 5th, 2005, 01:27 AM
hehe...thanks people, I've really got this one going, so another one...

When you consider inviting the computer to your wedding as a guest...

poofyhairguy
November 5th, 2005, 01:32 AM
you enjoy customising your distros and reading news about Linux more than playing xbox/Ps2 games.

you can't resist five minutes without thinking and/or talking about Linux (or using it)

Guilty as charged for me.

Another:

The case of your computer stays open.

Collin
November 5th, 2005, 03:30 AM
when you use the college printers to print a collection of o'reilly books saying that it is for a really long homework.

When you can troubleshoot a computer by the noise it's doing.

You know something is wrong when your harddrive is writing when it shouldn't

You never used any antivirus, anti spyware or firewall with a windows system and got away for years without any problems.

When you get girls by showing them how cool a terminal can be.

xequence
November 5th, 2005, 03:33 AM

Wow, thats cool, I can do that =D

It sometimes goes crazy on the hard drive so I kick it and it stops. Same with CD drive, though for it I have to hit the top with my hand or the top of the side.

Omnios
November 5th, 2005, 03:48 AM
You know your a geek when you get up in the morning and check this forum instead of reading the daily local.

matthew
November 5th, 2005, 03:58 AM
...it's Friday night at 8 p.m. and you are online responding to a "You know you're a geek when..." thread.

doclivingston
November 5th, 2005, 05:38 AM
You start a conversation with someone by saying "HELO your.name" and they reply "250 their.name"

You know the saying as "cd /pub; more beer"

zenrox
November 5th, 2005, 06:00 AM
read sig nuf said

valczir
November 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM
You accidentally convinced the librarians at your school that they should have a linux box for people to learn linux on.

The thing you're looking forward to most is getting your official ubuntu CD(s)

Your room is completely spotless, except for an unmade bed. Oh, and you have paper piled inches or feet high around your monitor, computer, and general desk area.

I forgot: The school at which you are a student is having you make a custom <insert_video_game_title> module of the school to help freshmen learn how to get around easier, and you're doing it for free because you think it's fun.

Takis
November 7th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Although this has been mentioned in a similar way, I actually did this one:
You're reading the latest Harry Potter, and he's trying to find out what horcruxes are, and you think "Why doesn't he just Google it?".

There's more dust in a biochemistry lab than in your computer.

You ask your friends questions using the LISP convention (appending a 'P', designating a predicate):
Q: “Foodp?”
A: “Yeah, I'm pretty hungry.” or “T!”

linbetwin
November 7th, 2005, 12:35 PM
You know you're a geek when your f-word is fdisk.

public_void
November 7th, 2005, 02:45 PM
You understand (0x2b||!0x2b) and find it funny.

nsa_767
November 7th, 2005, 03:08 PM
You know your a geek when:

You can tell from the fluctuations in your download rate that you've received an IM/PM on GAIM.
You've been quoted as saying, "Damn... I want to integrate that function!"

floyd27
November 7th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Your more concerned with your cpu temperature than your own or you childrens.

Stripping down your comp to clean it is considered general maintinance.

Your bookmarks are far more important than friends phone numbers

Your comp has a name ("SUSE"..my first distro)

Stormy Eyes
November 7th, 2005, 05:03 PM
You have annoyed your (non-programmer) friends by comparing the design and implementation of a complex program to writing a novel.

Speaking from experience: programming is easier than writing a novel.

TravisNewman
November 7th, 2005, 06:19 PM
"You try not to use public computers because you don't want to see all the problems with the way they are administered- cause you will see them."

That is so true. What's the worst is taking over a network admin job after someone else and you have to deal with crappy naming conventions across the whole network.

TravisNewman
November 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM
ROFL
seriously, is it bad that I find that funny?

TravisNewman
November 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM
ROFL
seriously, is it bad that I find that funny?

xequence
November 8th, 2005, 11:59 PM
You sit inside petting your computer saying "precious, my precious".

bonzodog
December 20th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Gonna bump this back to the top...

**BUMP**

Enter
December 20th, 2005, 07:48 PM
i heard this one a long time ago, i mightr been mentioned hee
Your a geek when insted of looking outside the window to see the weather you go and find a weather forcast on google

Wallakoala
December 20th, 2005, 08:26 PM
So everytime im working on some sort of text document or anything I always hit control-s to save it every two minutes. Sometimes when Im writing something on paper I have this weird feeling that I have to hit control-s...but it isnt there.

jc87
December 20th, 2005, 08:51 PM
When you visit Slashdot on a regular bases , worst even when you refer to it as /. .

When you talk with your friends about girls , and say things like " i would love to apt-get her".

When you think you are the last sane people in the earth .

When you can recitate in a minute at least ten reazons why to hate Bill Gates.

When you idol is Richard Stallman;) .

Enter
December 20th, 2005, 09:02 PM
So everytime im working on some sort of text document or anything I always hit control-s to save it every two minutes. Sometimes when Im writing something on paper I have this weird feeling that I have to hit control-s...but it isnt there.
ow yeah i have a similar problem when im trying to find something in a book i always think of pushing ctrl+f and just finding it fast

sapo
December 20th, 2005, 09:35 PM
You sleep in the kitchen, cause your computer is too noisy but you dont turn it off, cause it will **** your uptime

sapo@ubuntu:~$ uptime
18:25:57 up 21 days, 19:34, 2 users, load average: 1.70, 1.09, 0.86

You cant sleep when you know that your bittorrent queue is gonna end in the middle of the night, you have to fill the queue up before going to bed.

You postprone your work, but you dont close your bittorrent when it is at full speed.

You work 9 hours in a computer, and when you arrive at home, you first turn on you monitor and open your firefox, before getting something to drink or eat.

You arrive late from a party, you are drunk as a pig, but you need to check your bittorrent queue before going to bed.

And of course i do it all :D

poofyhairguy
December 20th, 2005, 09:54 PM
You cant sleep when you know that your bittorrent queue is gonna end in the middle of the night, you have to fill the queue up before going to bed.

That one is funny.

M3ta7h3ad
December 20th, 2005, 10:22 PM
How about the...

You know all about the dangers of playing eve-online when drunk, yet the first thing you do when you get in from a night out is fire it up login, and proceed to go on a random joyride through 0.0 in your most expensive kitted out ship, oh sure!!! you laugh at the pretty explosions and weapon effects now, but come morning when your head is exploding due to the vodka intake, and you want nothing but to just log on and do some harmless mining... when you find out your 67 jumps into hostile territory and in a pod it suddenly doesnt seem so funny anymore :D

The lol and roflmao one is true for me, i've done that several times now :)

majikstreet
December 20th, 2005, 10:27 PM
ow yeah i have a similar problem when im trying to find something in a book i always think of pushing ctrl+f and just finding it fast
I have the same problem... I hate searching for a word or phrase in a book or paper, and I wish I could just do "control+f" and type in the word xD

chimera
December 20th, 2005, 10:32 PM
when someone yells at you you yell "sudo init 0" back to them

jmudanimal
December 20th, 2005, 10:38 PM
What about when try register at newegg for your wedding gifts!!:cool:

Havoc
December 20th, 2005, 11:29 PM
When you answer a poll called "You know you're a geek when........" at 2 o'clock in the "morning".And dream about it later that "night".;)

Virak
December 20th, 2005, 11:35 PM
You sleep in the kitchen, cause your computer is too noisy but you dont turn it off, cause it will **** your uptime
You know you're a *real geek* when you sleep in your room with the computer despite the noise. (And yes, I've done this; I had my processor at 100% for a month or so non-stop running folding@home)

bonzodog
December 20th, 2005, 11:47 PM
you know you're a geek when your ISP drops out for 2 hours and you start panicking....(happened to me yesterday....I was pacing the floor and swearing loudly).

arpunk
December 20th, 2005, 11:52 PM
You know you're a *real geek* when you sleep in your room with the computer despite the noise. (And yes, I've done this; I had my processor at 100% for a month or so non-stop running folding@home)
Better yet, you know you're a real geek when you can't sleep at all if you dont hear the computer noise at night... happens to me.

AndyW
December 21st, 2005, 12:53 AM
You know your a geek when, instead of playing games on your xbox, you install linux and use it as a server.

infoburner
December 21st, 2005, 01:15 AM
when you can use 3 computers at once and have it not be enough

ember
December 21st, 2005, 02:00 AM
Hmm ... maybe:

You know you're a geek, when you stop sleeping, because you can't sleep, when there is still something left to code.

sarastro_us
December 21st, 2005, 03:18 AM

And she replies, "Ubuntu!"

sapo
December 21st, 2005, 03:19 AM
Hmm ... maybe:

You know you're a geek, when you stop sleeping, because you can't sleep, when there is still something left to code.
You know you are a geek when you are stuck with some code at work, and you think in a solution at home, but you connect using ssh in you company server to see if thats gona work, so you can sleep in peace :D

i did it :(

ardchoille
December 21st, 2005, 04:04 AM
You know you're a geek, when the warranty expires you say "cool, now I can take it apart".

matthew
December 21st, 2005, 04:15 AM
You know you're a geek, when the warranty expires you say "cool, now I can take it apart".You're supposed to wait?!

That's why my mom was always mad at me growing up... :) (and my wife is sometimes today, though she's adapted to the idea that whenever I get a new toy the first thing I do is take it apart)

greenway
December 21st, 2005, 04:24 AM
You know you're a geek when:

You're serious considering contacting Dreamworks about doing a movie on "TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1: The protocols"

When you're twisting your brain on how to normalize your sister's dairy into the 3rd norm

When dreaming about how computers will take over the world and you are king of them all

Steeling your 80-years-old neighbour's scooter and trying to reverse-engineer it's hard-coded speed control system

scole
December 21st, 2005, 04:27 AM
You know all the stats of your schools computers. You want me to read them off?? I found them out even though they block it. You know youre a geek when blocks cant stop you.

M3ta7h3ad
December 21st, 2005, 04:41 AM
You're supposed to wait?!

That's why my mom was always mad at me growing up... :) (and my wife is sometimes today, though she's adapted to the idea that whenever I get a new toy the first thing I do is take it apart)

If it aint broke... fix it until it is! :) Then buy the latest and greatest! :D

matthew
December 21st, 2005, 05:27 AM
If it aint broke... fix it until it is! :) Then buy the latest and greatest! :DI tend to say:
"If it ain't broke, you ain't played with it enough lately." :) :)

towsonu2003
December 21st, 2005, 05:34 AM
How do YOU know you're a geek?

when you start looking for drivers when you plan to buy a peice of hardware 10 years from now... I will buy a flying car, but I'm not sure whether linux will run on it...

psyguy92
December 21st, 2005, 06:38 AM
You check the forum several times a day to see if anyone has gotten the hardware you want to buy to work with linux.

You've used more than 10 email accounts at once - all with good reason.

You feel like shooting yourself in the head when someone refers to the internet as 'that little blue E'.

When bumperstickers go on your box, not your car.

alamba
December 21st, 2005, 06:59 AM
You carry a live CD to office cos your boss won't let you reformat your harddisk and install tux!

(That's actually true in my case!!)

Akshay

psyguy92
December 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM
You know what HTTP, FTP, POP, RAM, ROM, USB, CPU, URL, WYSIWYG, ISP, MIME, ADSL, PPP, IDE, ISDN, ASCII, TCP/IP, and IRQ stand for.

You expect others to know at least half of those.

kruz
December 21st, 2005, 07:35 AM
you get sent down to the principals office
for misorderly conduct in computer class

for 1 of 3 reasons

a, hacking the pc next to u
b, making a windows user cry
or c, confusing your computer teacher

darth_vector
December 21st, 2005, 08:39 AM
you know your a geek when you think linux is just dead sexy

prizrak
December 21st, 2005, 07:33 PM
When you have a dream about organizing your directories (happened last night)
Reason for the said dream is that you got a new kick-ass file manager :)

mstlyevil
December 21st, 2005, 08:00 PM
You know you're a geek when:

You rush out to Borders to buy the latest book from O'Reilly.

You have been customizing your theme and you format the drive because you just can't get the color right.

You are building a new computer and you spend hours on the net researching what parts work well with Linux.

You never read the Bible but you can quote Running Linux chapter and verse.

matthew
December 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM
You rush out to Borders to buy the latest book from O'Reilly. Or, you rush to Borders to look through the latest O'Reilly book ad then run home and order it online from Amazon.com hoping that a vendor will be selling it in new or like new condition for 40% off or less...or does that just make you a cheap geek?

tmeier
December 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM
You install Linux on any used computer that comes your way just to see if you can make it work.

mstlyevil
December 21st, 2005, 08:37 PM
Or, you rush to Borders to look through the latest O'Reilly book ad then run home and order it online from Amazon.com hoping that a vendor will be selling it in new or like new condition for 40% off or less...or does that just make you a cheap geek?

Nope just a smart geek. =D>

Takis
December 21st, 2005, 09:53 PM
In the latest Harry Potter book, there's a bit where he's practically tearing his hair out trying to find out what a corcrux is. You know you're a geek when you (seriously) think to yourself, "why doesn't he just Google it?".

curtis
December 21st, 2005, 11:40 PM
Mhmm ... maybe:

Two children are frequently calling you daddy, but you just can't remember their names, because they are not on your messenger's contact list
Good one :p

felixdzerzhinsky
December 22nd, 2005, 11:02 AM
a woman in the bar starts talking about relational databases and learning SQL. And you find it sexy. Because she started it.

Or does that make her a geek? Or both of us?

sapo
December 22nd, 2005, 11:05 AM
a woman in the bar starts talking about relational databases and learning SQL. And you find it sexy. Because she started it.

I dont know any woman that know wth is sql :(

prizrak
December 22nd, 2005, 06:34 PM
I dont know any woman that know wth is sql :(
LOL my best friend's mom is an SQL developer, she also knows COBOL, C, C++ and VB (yuck) Needless to say I tend to talk to her more than to my friend :)

hhh
December 22nd, 2005, 07:22 PM
You can manipulate a keyboard to draw frogs and bunnies.

sapo
December 22nd, 2005, 08:32 PM
You can manipulate a keyboard to draw frogs and bunnies.
Like these in my sign?

hhh
December 22nd, 2005, 08:38 PM
Like these in my sign?Yes, and don't forget Kimm's...

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

blueturtl
December 22nd, 2005, 09:34 PM
...someone asks you about something computer related and you know answering them would take more time than their patience would allow so you decide not to.

...you get depressed at the management of relatives' / public systems.

...you do tech support calls for the whole neighborhood.

...your girlfriend tells you so. ;)

mstlyevil
December 22nd, 2005, 09:38 PM
You have lengthy disscussion on a Linux forum about the command line vs GUI installers.

DevilsAdvocate
December 22nd, 2005, 09:48 PM
You're +3 SD's from the mean...

M3ta7h3ad
December 23rd, 2005, 07:59 AM

lol the lass in work is an Oracle DBA and is now a MCDBA as well :) Had no idea she was a database lass, she seemed completely non-geeky. Just one day im looking at data in work going "aaaarrgghhh!!!!! why wont this work!?" and she comes out with "ahh you need to do...".

Turns out she's experienced (read: expert) in BSD/Linux, uses CSH as her shell, and codes shell scripts as if she was writing a letter, and still gets calls from her old company to fly over to the japan office and sort out database errors because they havent found a replacement good enough to take her place yet.

Completely amazing. :D

towsonu2003
December 23rd, 2005, 09:14 AM
for male geeks: your girlfriend buys a miniskirt for herself and you say:

'does it run linux?'

for female geeks: when your boyfriend buys a tongue for himself and you say

'does it run linux?'

wondering_jew
December 23rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
You talk to your roommate on instant messenger rather than just walk across the hall to his room.

You enjoy (or even understand) nerd core rap like MC Plus +, Monzy, MC Hawking etc. with lyrics like "Your mom circulates like a public key, Servicing more requests than HTTP. She keeps all her ports open like Windows ME, Oh, there's so much drama in the PhD..."

You've ever used a windows emulator to open up a apple emulator so you could play oregon trail on a linux box (I can't find an emulator for linux :p )

You've ever gotten MUD (multi user dungeon) commands and Linux commands confused.
You made aliases for both to solve the problem

darth_vector
December 23rd, 2005, 02:28 PM
you find the following funny:

NT is the path to the dark side.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
I sence much NT in you.
Powerful Unix is.

...and you know who was supposed to have said it :)

matthew
December 23rd, 2005, 04:36 PM
...someone asks you about something computer related and you know answering them would take more time than their patience would allow so you decide not to.

...you get depressed at the management of relatives' / public systems.

...you do tech support calls for the whole neighborhood.

You know you're a burnt out geek when...
...you used to do all of these things and then finally got so tired from it that you decided everyone can take care of their own computers. You used the fact that you switched to Linux as an excuse. "Well, I don't actually use Windows so I'm not sure what the precise problem is. I would have to actually learn your system first and then try to figure out the problem."

afhp
December 23rd, 2005, 05:13 PM
...you used to do all of these things and then finally got so tired from it that you decided everyone can take care of their own computers. You used the fact that you switched to Linux as an excuse. "Well, I don't actually use Windows so I'm not sure what the precise problem is. I would have to actually learn your system first and then try to figure out the problem."

I can relate to that one :rolleyes:

jeremy
December 23rd, 2005, 05:33 PM
Me too.

tseliot
December 23rd, 2005, 05:40 PM
...You used the fact that you switched to Linux as an excuse. "Well, I don't actually use Windows so I'm not sure what the precise problem is. I would have to actually learn your system first and then try to figure out the problem."
I often do it but please don't tell anyone :p

totalshredder
December 25th, 2005, 08:39 PM
You know you're a geek when you know more girls' IP adresses than phone numbers.

briancurtin
December 26th, 2005, 03:22 AM

haha ive done that before too many times

veratyr
December 26th, 2005, 03:29 AM
You know you're a geek when in real life you comment on how well the ocean is bump mapped.

picpak
December 26th, 2005, 03:46 AM
When you laugh out loud when you type in 'man woman'.

aptsonic
December 26th, 2005, 05:00 AM
You know you're a geek when..

You miss the F1 button under math classes
You try yo get into the BIOS of your car
You scream "Just ****ing google it" when somebody asks a simple question in the class
You accuse everybody running faster than your self of using speed hack
You've got The Flu and are trying to do a virus check
You are seriously considering asking your doctor how much you can overclock your brain
At Macdonalds, you're ordering a 160MB hamburger
You wish you've ordered your house through Microsoft, it would be so easy to just take the backdoor in..

i love to use that google answer personally, i said it daily working at radioshack...

i wasn't big on the idiots have questions, we have the googled answers.

Omnios
January 3rd, 2006, 12:18 AM
You know your a Geek when you post 100 posts helping out newbs in a day and a half expecialy when it is New Years lol.

Tom_GayLUG
January 3rd, 2006, 12:25 AM
I know i'm a geek because:

I'd rather order pizza online than use the phone.
I'd rather do all my christmas shopping and never leave the keyboard.
I don't care if people call me a geek.. (I think this is the ultimate defining factor!)

BWF89
January 3rd, 2006, 04:34 AM
You know your a geek when you wear a Firefox shirt to school and have an arguement with someone on whether AOL Browser is based on Internet Explorer.

Omnios
January 3rd, 2006, 04:40 AM
You know your a geek when you wear a Firefox shirt to school and have an arguement with someone on whether AOL Browser is based on Internet Explorer.

Where can I get a irefox shirt, or for that matter a Ubuntu or Linux shirt?

BWF89
January 3rd, 2006, 04:43 AM
Where can I get a irefox shirt, or for that matter a Ubuntu or Linux shirt?
I think it's store.mozilla.org/

I got the Navy blue one. But I wouldn't reccomend it if you have dandruff like me.

erikpiper
January 3rd, 2006, 05:29 AM
Your girlfriend calls you a geek and you dont care!!

(Because she is one too :P )

Kibbo
May 22nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
When you laugh out loud when you type in 'man woman'.

bwahahaha!

I've often said that a linux box is better than a woman because when you screw up with it, at least you get an error message.

Stew2
May 23rd, 2006, 12:08 AM
Dont know if this one has been mentioned yet because I didn't read through all of them but here goes. You know you are a geek when.... (hardware geek anyway) you can undo both of the monitor cable retainer screw thingies at the same time with one hand while not looking at the connector! :) I just noticed I could do this the other day and suddenly realized I spend way too much time monkeying around with computers... but I love it so I wont quit! :D

Cheers!
Stew2

Engnome
May 23rd, 2006, 12:18 AM
undo both of the monitor cable retainer screw thingies at the same time with one hand while not looking at the connector! :)

Doesnt seem to hard if I understand you correctly. I move around/install something new for my fathers company pretty often so i do that alot.

Anyway, you know youre a geek when you drag your laptop with you all the time (I do). Leaving it at home would feel like leaving someone you love for a long time.

bruce89
May 23rd, 2006, 02:07 AM
...You think my signature is funny.

bruce89
May 23rd, 2006, 02:08 AM
...or you think that my post saying you think my signature is funny is funny.

Confusing isn't it?

G Morgan
May 23rd, 2006, 04:46 AM
You know your a gaming geek when you look out the window in thick fog and exclaim

"ahh, the draw distance."

fuscia
May 23rd, 2006, 05:02 AM
what is someone who does some geek things (like constantly re-arranging his desktop) but who isn't a geek? it would be like the technology equivalent to a pilot-fish, i guess.

TeeAhr1
May 23rd, 2006, 03:23 PM
You think the word guitar is a graphical front-end to your file-compression utility.

KingBahamut
May 23rd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Youd be a geek if you (like me) can quote lines from movies that are somewhat geeky (spaceballs, Monty Pyton films, Star Wars, Star Trek) and do it with the same voice and inflection, into a group of people and only other geeks in that group actually get why its funny.

"Sir, Im having trouble with the Radar, Sir."

jethro10
May 23rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
You can no longer watch TV because adverts make you reach for alt-f4.

You absolute bugger, I couldn't remember what this did. so I pressed it and you all went away :)

bruce89
May 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM
You absolute bugger, I couldn't remember what this did. so I pressed it and you all went away :)
Same here!

matthew
May 23rd, 2006, 03:51 PM
You think the word guitar is a graphical front-end to your file-compression utility.For once in my life...a geek definition that doesn't apply to me!

richbarna
May 23rd, 2006, 03:52 PM
Alt ..... F4....
HEY !?!!!
Bugger !
You know you're a geek when ..........you dream about your PC.
This is weird !!! :-
I had a dream the other day that there was a poltergeist banging around and trying to break things when it occurred to me that he was BASHing around without a GUI, and had no access to the graphical environment.(The real world)

Also, after a couple of hours on a multiplayer 3D shoot 'em up, me and my mate were on our way to the pub, when we passed a bank with a cctv camera outside. We both looked at it instantly, and admitted that we were thinking of shooting it.

Yep !, I probably need therapy :)

matthew
May 23rd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Youd be a geek if you (like me) can quote lines from movies that are somewhat geeky (spaceballs, Monty Pyton films, Star Wars, Star Trek) and do it with the same voice and inflection, into a group of people and only other geeks in that group actually get why its funny.

"Sir, Im having trouble with the Radar, Sir."Like...if you know that KB has lost the bleeps, lost the sweeps and lost the creeps.

Kernel Sanders
May 23rd, 2006, 04:21 PM

1) Everyone around you seems like a moron to you

2) Sitting at your computer all day is FUN! and >>>>>>>>*

3) You dont understand why people dont google things they dont know

4) You have no-one to talk to about computers/Linux/BSD/Windows etc..

5) You know how to build a computer, and you enjoy doing it.

6) You find it frustrating using an OS that you dont know the inner workings of

7) You enjoy learning as much about computers as you possibly can

8 ) You wish you had a job that revolved around you sitting in front of your computer all day.

9) You wish you knew how to program

10) You love FOSS

11) You know what FOSS is, and GPL, etc...

12) You know the inner workings and future of DRM, that no matter how hard you try, others around you dont seem to "get it" and your angered that they dont even care.

13) Your the only computer user you know thats annoyed by WGA, Activation, DRM, "Trusted Computing" etc.....

14) You wish you could make a stand against the big software companies

15) The internet is vital to your existance

16) You'd rather stay in on your computer than go out.

17) You wish you could controll your whole life through your computer

18 ) You need to replace your keyboard every year due to "wear and tear"

19) You wish everybody would "leave you alone"

20) You cant understand how others around you can manage to tie their shoe laces they are so dumb.

21) The "Humm" of your computer is relaxing.

22) You felt the need to post in this thread

23) You dream about websites you could set up

Thats about all I can think of right now, only a handful actually apply to me, although the fact that even ONE does, scares me...... :(

Getwild2
May 23rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
When you click the link for the next page in the "You know you're a geek when........" thread and you panic because you keep receiving "Page Load Error" messages. Then you have no clue what you're going to do since ubuntuforums.org is down temporarily?! ](*,)

...then it comes back up and all is right with the world again. :D

-blasted Internet Explorer!

richbarna
May 23rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=Getwild2]When you click the link for the next page in the "You know you're a geek when........" thread and you panic because you keep receiving "Page Load Error" messages. Then you have no clue what you're going to do since ubuntuforums.org is down temporarily?! ](*,)

...then it comes back up and all is right with the world again. :D

Whew !! I thought that was just me !!
This week has been particularly traumatic, about 9 times, I couldn't get on to ubuntuforums, but when I hit google, all was well.
Are the ubuntu servers getting overloaded?
Time for a "sudo apt-get install better server" no ?

GarethMB
May 23rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
Christ i'm conisdered odd in my house for running linux. But damn...you guys..:-k

SeanTater
May 23rd, 2006, 11:46 PM
"So what OS do you use?"
"My local IP address is 192.168.1.15"
"My WAN IP is 65.67.84.192"
"ping \n anyone there" (extra points if you format this correctly)
"#import <brain.c>" <-Points if you can do this <3 seconds

B0rsuk
May 24th, 2006, 01:10 AM
When you organize a contest 'who can compile XeTeX the in shortest time'. This has actually happened to my teacher (left side of the photo) on this year's BachoTeX conference. He claims to have won.

http://www.immt.pwr.wroc.pl/~myszka/BachoTeX2006/2006-04-30/78.html

As you can see, when IT people gather with beer and guitar, they have strange ideas.
No, you can't beat it.

Stew2
May 24th, 2006, 01:17 AM
You know you're a geek when........ you would give up your satellite TV before you would give up your high speed DSL connection. (I know I would! :) )

Parkotron
May 24th, 2006, 02:05 AM
...you are constantly frustrated by poor user interfaces in day to day life, wishing you could reprogram your alarm clock, microwave, answering machine, etc. to make it more efficient and/or user friendly. (The situation is even worse if you automatically dream up the specific code you would use if you could rewrite the interface.)

...you talk to geeky people you don't even like, just because you have no friends at your level of geekiness and are desperate to discuss things like InitNG, FreeNX, etc. with another live human being.

...when away from your computer you get frustrated by the killer apps missing from your brain. (KJots, amaroK, Firefox, and Google/Wikipedia searchbox)

Bragador
May 24th, 2006, 02:10 AM
You kow you're a geek when :

- You had dreams with polygonal graphics
- You see a great scenery and exclaim "wow, what resolution and textures !"

Sammi
May 26th, 2006, 12:58 AM

Sammi
May 26th, 2006, 01:10 AM

That was actually one of the major factors that led me to explore Linux in the first place :-D

How I hate whiny friends and relatives, who can't take care of their fragmented and spyware filled win systems... I mean how hard is it to do a simple defragmentation and keep AVG and Spybot installed and running? Huh??
Try telling them that Firefox is better and they should use it instead of IE, and you just get this empty stare back at you ](*,)

And don't tell me about when tey buy new soft/hardware, that their system doesn't support... argh...

Ob1
May 26th, 2006, 01:15 AM
You know you're a geek when you own the complete collection of all Star trek series

You know you're a geek when you spent 3 hours talking about Megaman in IRC

G Morgan
May 26th, 2006, 01:13 PM
That was actually one of the major factors that led me to explore Linux in the first place :-D

How I hate whiny friends and relatives, who can't take care of their fragmented and spyware filled win systems... I mean how hard is it to do a simple defragmentation and keep AVG and Spybot installed and running? Huh??
Try telling them that Firefox is better and they should use it instead of IE, and you just get this empty stare back at you ](*,)

And don't tell me about when tey buy new soft/hardware, that their system doesn't support... argh...

I feel your pain. Somebody I know bought a DVD-RW the other day. Their HDD only has a 3GB max, not going to be authoring any DVD-ROM's there.

tkjacobsen
May 26th, 2006, 01:15 PM
when you lie to your girlfriend and tell her your ill, just because of the new dapper development release...

Christmas
May 26th, 2006, 01:26 PM
When you fall in love on IRC.

bruce89
May 26th, 2006, 01:30 PM
...You put the Gnome release schedule on your calendar.
Bonus points if it's the only thing on it.

RavenOfOdin
May 26th, 2006, 03:22 PM

I can do that. :p

When you fall in love on IRC.

Done that, too - to some girl who was from the mother of all dysfunctional families and had the psychotic tendencies to show for it. :eek:

Let's just say, that one didn't end too well.

Anyway, here's one:

When you can't understand the rambling of someone you're listening to, you think they sound like a kernel dump.

johnnyc
May 26th, 2006, 04:13 PM
...you lovingly give your girlfriend the nickname 'stoofoo'.
...your pick up lines are on par with "You are so fine - are you sure your surname doesn't begin with JPEG?", followed by a witty comment from a close friend on par with "Meh, I prefer PNG tbh.".

gonçalo
May 26th, 2006, 04:30 PM
You like everything in life although you hate it when things aren't well designed even if they evolved like that.

You have a desire to explain to people that the peole that design roads are sometimes drunk, hence all the curves.

You know everything to a point is just a machine and that makes you smile.

You still think DOS was better than 3.11

You find nano to be a beautifull piece of minimalistic art.

You find yourself eating a green apple and then you rush to wikipedia to do a research on apples to find it's family, similar fruits, genus, relatives extinct species and stuff like that. You start to enjoy categories.

You know how a lightbulb works.

3rdalbum
May 26th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Probably already been posted, but:

When someone asks you what your favourite programming editor is, you actually answer.

ProjectGod
May 31st, 2006, 03:37 AM
you BECOME a geek when:

you've got more than 200 beans from posting on ubuntuforums.org :lol:

actually make that 180 beans and above :lol:

Digicrat
May 31st, 2006, 05:54 AM
You know you're a geek when . . .

. . . you actually spend time reading a post titled "you know you're a geek when"

. . . you think of a good reply to this topic, and register a new account to do so! (actually, I'm planning on switching my laptop from Fedora to Ubuntu this week, hence why I was browsing the boards. Already have Gentoo on my desktop, but that takes to much effort to maintain).

. . . you think Gentoo is an excellent learning experience.

. . . you keep thinking "this would be easier if I was using Linux" whenever your working on a Windows machine.

. . . you experience De Ja Vu and wonder what they changed in the Matrix.

. . . you walk down the street and think to yourself "the graphics on this level are so realistic" [scary but true - Especially at night when your noticing all of the cool shadows and lighting effects in the game that is our reality - or is it?]

bonzodog
May 31st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Keep them coming people, this thread is getting good.
I was told recently that I make the local linux geeks here in Galway look like n00bs, as I have completely outclassed them. I have been on Slackware since 1999, first used the net in 96 on a BSD server, and last year moved house just so i could get broadband!!

Iesos
May 31st, 2006, 09:43 PM
These are for the science geeks:
... you get all warm inside when your about to open your new course litterature.
... you make an *** out of your self laughing at jokes like:
How do one make a polar bear? One takes an ordinary bear and maps it into polar-coordinates!
(yepp, thats me. I got more jokes too, but they are in swedish)
... you are correcting the teachers LaTeX-handouts with commands they missed.
... you stay up all night to finish your home assignment in Fourier analysis (or any other course), just because
its more revarding and funnier than sleep.

Well, thats my contribution to the list. Got a Quantum Mechanics test tomorrow, got to sleep.

rado_london
May 31st, 2006, 09:45 PM
you BECOME a geek when:

you've got more than 200 beans from posting on ubuntuforums.org :lol:

actually make that 145 beans and above :lol:
SO I am geek and your are one post away to become one of us.

tseliot
May 31st, 2006, 10:37 PM
Keep them coming people, this thread is getting good.
I was told recently that I make the local linux geeks here in Galway look like n00bs, as I have completely outclassed them. I have been on Slackware since 1999, first used the net in 96 on a BSD server, and last year moved house just so i could get broadband!!
Your post makes me feel such a noob... I have used Linux only for a year and 2 months. ;)

bruce89
May 31st, 2006, 10:53 PM
Your post makes me feel such a noob... I have used Linux only for a year and 2 months. ;)
Same here!

bruce89
May 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM
...you ask people's opinions on whether they think your avatar is compressed too much. Well, is it?

henriquemaia
May 31st, 2006, 11:03 PM
...setting things up with GUIs and Frontends seem painfully dull.

jamesford
May 31st, 2006, 11:06 PM
when u repeatedly try to scratch the back of ur head with the mouse cursor

henriquemaia
May 31st, 2006, 11:27 PM
when u repeatedly try to scratch the back of ur head with the mouse cursor

lol, I would say that you're too much of a geek when you really try to make a device to accomplish that (running Linux, obviously).

ProjectGod
June 7th, 2006, 03:59 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1070734&postcount=151

sorry folks i have to update the threshold! :lol: =D> i'll keep updating it so that that i'm always a bean short of becoming a geek. haha

polo_step
June 7th, 2006, 07:03 AM
No danger of me being a geek.

Just off the top of my head, an inventory:

Hate science fiction ("bad science, bad fiction," to quote A. C. Clarke)...

Have never been interested in the SCA...

Have never watched a single episode of any generation of Star Trek...

Have never engaged in RPGs...

Have zero interest in video games...

Have never seen Star Wars, its sequels or prequels...

Do not believe in unicorns, fairies, dragons, hobbits or the future world dominance of Open Source...

Do not give my pets computer names...

Do not give my computers pet names...

Don't collect comic books...

Associate the term "superpower" with geopolitics rather than the ability to become invisible or turn into a catwoman...

Do not speak Leet, Klingon or Elvish...

Do not attend conventions where people wear costumes...

Do not...well, you get the picture! ;)

G Morgan
June 7th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Tis quite sad really.

nocturn
June 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM
you know you're a geek when your ISP drops out for 2 hours and you start panicking....(happened to me yesterday....I was pacing the floor and swearing loudly).

Oh god, I'm like that! And my monitoring system picks up every outage (my homeserver is 24x7).

nocturn
June 7th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Oh god, I'm like that! And my monitoring system picks up every outage (my homeserver is 24x7).

Also, when my connection goes down, instead of going out or doing anything that I planned, I have this urge to just sit at my computer and have nagios repeat checks every minute to see if it comes up... sad, isn't it?

bonzodog
August 29th, 2006, 10:04 AM
ok, gonna bump this thread..seems like a fun one

insane_alien
August 29th, 2006, 10:59 AM
...when you find yourself tallying something up on your fingers in binary.

...when someone asks you your age you say 10010

rado_london
August 30th, 2006, 01:31 AM
When you have more than 10 Dapper cds laying around with no reason when you always use one chosen cd for install. I do that actually.

jimrz
August 30th, 2006, 03:02 AM
When you have more than 10 Dapper cds laying around with no reason when you always use one chosen cd for install. I do that actually.

when you are sad that the other 9 are not being shared

GameManK
August 30th, 2006, 06:52 AM
You try to read the hex numbers in that :-|

kernelpanicked
August 30th, 2006, 06:59 AM
...when someone asks if you're bilingual and you say "Yes, I know C, python, and perl."

or

You recognized the the program used to hack the grid in Jurassic Park as the file manager from SGI's IRIX.

ghettobilly
August 30th, 2006, 08:29 AM
its 50F outside and you still have the a/c going to keep your apartment at 75F

during the winter your heating bill is less than your electric

3rdalbum
August 30th, 2006, 10:24 AM
When you're falling asleep, you think to yourself "My computer feels a bit slow... I'll download some more RAM for it tomorrow".

Then I'm a geek :-)

sinaen
August 30th, 2006, 02:01 PM
when you add something in your work and it equals 1337 and you find it funny,

Then tell it to your gf, that gives you "the blank stare" and doesn´t understand you at all.

when you think the t-shirt with "there are 10 kinds of ppl in this world. those who can count binary and those who dont" are cool and cant se why not everyone else finds it funny.

when you do a left click in windows desktop and hope to get a program menu up.

when you drag your mouse over some text. and think its copied in windows. (annoys me as hell..)

and yeah theres a lot on this list that i humbly comply to :) hehe, use of i-nick when talking about your mates, 127.0.0.1 is your home, sleep with a warm computer in a cold room. and has given your computer a girls-name.

DoctorMO
August 30th, 2006, 04:24 PM
When you sleep walk to your computer and check your email or your comuter switch on is the first thing you do in the morning.

When you fall in Love over Email and Forums and are getting married to the geekess of your dreams (you know the one that looks good in black leather and knowns what you mean by foobar)

%hMa@?b<C
August 30th, 2006, 05:26 PM
umm... if you have some uptime like this

crowell@maclintosh:~$ uptime
09:19:13 up 39 days, 10:56, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
lol!

bruce89
August 30th, 2006, 05:33 PM
...You get annoyed when somebody posts "But I'd prefer to look at photo's in Konqueror." as it should be "But I'd prefer to look at photos in Konqueror."

Mr Wrath
August 30th, 2006, 07:17 PM
or...you might know that your a geek when you can read all of the above and understand what is being said or talked about.

Also, just to add to the list...you know your a geek when you look for ways to hook up a 'linux' machine to existing devices or machines. (linux computer to vehicle computer)
(linux computer to your radio (mp3 server for your car)
(house security system)

or...in any conversation, you begin to divert the conversation towards computers.

Digicrat
September 1st, 2006, 09:10 PM
when you go on vacation and your computer is your most important piece of luggage.
when you pack clothes in your suitcase primarily as padding for your computers peripherals.
when watching tv requires you to turn your computer on.

when you do not want to interrupt your computer when it is doing an important task, such as a system update or burning a disk, so you decide to turn another computer on.
when you can do the above one or more times at home and still have computers to spare.
when you purchase a dual-screen setup where each screen has 2 inputs and will actively use all 4 connections

when you find solace in this thread that you are not alone.

when you wonder what the processor speed of x is for all x

when you want to relax, but honestly can't think of anything to do that does not involve a computer.
when someone points out that reading a book doesn't involve a computer and you respond "but then how would I google interesting facts while I'm reading?"
when you think you would have enjoyed the "Da Vinci Code" more if you had internet access while reading it.

when you type all of your work because either:
- you don't consider hand-writing an efficient means of data storage
- you think better at the computer.
- you try to write as fast as you type with the results rarely being legible
[ok, maybe these are just signs of bad hand-writing]

when you look for the backspace key when writing a paper by hand.
when you try pressing ctrl+f when reading a textbook.
when the above actually works.
when you often find wikipedia more informative than your textbooks.
when you use wikipedia during a lecture
when you alt+tab between taking notes and browsing the web and still have the most detailed notes for the lecture

when you want to start a blog, but don't have the time to finish writing your own AJAX-based blog system.
when you think the above is a perfectly logical explanation.

when you think this thread could be ported into a best-seller joke book.

Mr Wrath
September 1st, 2006, 10:24 PM
Very Nice...

brianC
September 2nd, 2006, 04:48 AM

GameManK
September 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
...when you want to write <= and >= and != in your math notes.
...when it annoys you that your math teacher uses = instead of == for a question of equality.

reacocard
September 3rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
...someone says you need some sleep, and you say "Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffeine?"

jimmygoon
September 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
... When your email address is your firstname@lastname.us

imhdd
September 4th, 2006, 03:51 PM
When your favorite scary Ghost story is about a clone gone bad.

ezphilosophy
September 4th, 2006, 10:31 PM
When you think this thread is hilarious and you proceed to copy/paste your favorites into a text document and then attach it for others.

Haegin
September 4th, 2006, 11:57 PM
When you try and use windows to find:
1. You keep looking for the Applications button in the top left corner
2. You keep using ifconfig instead of ipconfig
3. You try and press Ctrl+Alt+F1 so nobody fiddles with your pc
4. You press (whichever button you have mapped to the terminal) and sit and wonder why its being so slow
5. You sit and stare at the screen looking for a command prompt so you can nano /etc/hosts then try and use the run dialog

Haegin
September 4th, 2006, 11:59 PM

01010100011010000110000101110100011100110010000001 10111001101111011101000010000001110000011100100110 11110111000001100101011100100010000001100010011010 01011011100110000101110010011110010010111000101110 00101110

gmhikin03
September 5th, 2006, 03:27 AM
someone asks you to look at their computer, so you run to get one of the multiple live cd's from your car. (actually did it last thursday.)

infoburner
September 6th, 2006, 12:46 AM
...you install the server-spy extension in firefox so you know which sites not to go to because they are served by IIS

...when your friend says you are a "linux zealot"

Mr Wrath
September 6th, 2006, 02:15 PM
01001001 01100110 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01100101 01100011 01101111 01100100 01100101 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01101110 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100111 01100101 01100101 01101011

Mr Wrath
September 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I will post the answer later for those who can't decode this.

xhaan
September 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM
What the heck?
I'd figure that out, but I'm way too lazy for that.
Heh, I just now used a converter on it...

craig552
September 6th, 2006, 02:56 PM
when you use the college printers to print a collection of o'reilly books saying that it is for a really long homework.

You never used any antivirus, anti spyware or firewall with a windows system and got away for years without any problems.

All but the last one. Though I did introduce my girlfriend to firefox, and now she knows what 'open source' means!
Geek and proud!

xhaan
September 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I really wish I went to college... ](*,)

I kinda did this with my modem, but not the whole computer... except obvious things like a fan about to go out, and cd rom issues.

You know something is wrong when your harddrive is writing when it shouldn't Heh, yeah.

You never used any antivirus, anti spyware or firewall with a windows system and got away for years without any problems. I did, but now I ask myself why.. :p

I'd rather get a girl who already knows how cool a terminal is and knows how to use it, maybe better than me. :D

craig552
September 6th, 2006, 03:11 PM
01001001 01100110 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01100101 01100011 01101111 01100100 01100101 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01101110 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100111 01100101 01100101 01101011

Well I just found out that I am...

skymt
September 6th, 2006, 03:12 PM
... you know why four is a bad word.
... you use programming syntax in everyday speech
... you put X11 in your OS X startup items

infoburner
September 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM

01000110 01101111 01110010 01100111 01100101 01110100 00100000 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 00100000 01100010 01100101 00101100 00100000 01101001 00100000 01101011 01101110 01101111 01110111 00100000 01101001 00100000 01100001 01101101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100111 01100101 01100101 01101011 00101100 00100000 01100010 01100001 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100000 01101111 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100110 01100001 01100011 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01101111 01101110 01101100 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 00100000 01101001 00100000 01100100 01100101 01100011 01101111 01100100 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110011 01110011 01100001 01100111 01100101 00101100 00100000 01100010 01110101 01110100 00100000 01101001 00100000 01110111 01110010 01101111 01110100 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100011 01101011 00100000 01110010 01110101 01100010 01111001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01101001 01110000 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100100 01101111 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100110 01100001 01100011 01101001 01101100 01101001 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110011 01101001 01101101 01101001 01101100 01100001 01110010 00100000 01110011 01110101 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101111 01110011 01110100 01110011 00100000 01101111 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00101110

xhaan
September 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
01000110 01101111 01110010 01100111 01100101 01110100 00100000 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 00100000 01100010 01100101 00101100 00100000 01101001 00100000 01101011 01101110 01101111 01110111 00100000 01101001 00100000 01100001 01101101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100111 01100101 01100101 01101011 00101100 00100000 01100010 01100001 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100000 01101111 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100110 01100001 01100011 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01101111 01101110 01101100 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 00100000 01101001 00100000 01100100 01100101 01100011 01101111 01100100 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110011 01110011 01100001 01100111 01100101 00101100 00100000 01100010 01110101 01110100 00100000 01101001 00100000 01110111 01110010 01101111 01110100 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100011 01101011 00100000 01110010 01110101 01100010 01111001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01101001 01110000 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100100 01101111 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100110 01100001 01100011 01101001 01101100 01101001 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110011 01101001 01101101 01101001 01101100 01100001 01110010 00100000 01110011 01110101 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101111 01110011 01110100 01110011 00100000 01101111 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00101110

LOL good job. I wish I could do stuff like that.

Johan!
September 6th, 2006, 03:22 PM
01101000 01110100 01110100 01110000 00111010 00101111 00101111 01110111 01110111 01110111 00101110 01110011 01101001 01110100 01101001 01101110 01110100 01101000 01100101 01100011 01101111 01110010 01101110 01100101 01110010 00101110 01100011 01101111 01101101 00101111 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101111 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110 01110000 01101000 01110000

bruce89
September 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM
...When you can troubleshoot a computer by the noise it's doing.
I wish I could, as my computer's motherboard fan goes mad when it is switched on. We had to get a new motherboard fitted, but the new one does it to (but not as much).

infoburner
September 6th, 2006, 03:29 PM
LOL good job. I wish I could do stuff like that.

it was cake

heres the source code:

def dec2bin(n)
[n].pack("N").unpack("B32")[0].sub(/^0+(?=\d)/, '')
end

def str2bin(str)
str = str.split('').map{|c|c[0]}.map{|i| dec2bin(i)}
str.map{|chr| chr.insert(0, "0") until chr.size == 8}
str.join(" ")
end

def bin2str(str)
str = str.split(" ")
str.map{|i| eval("0b" + i)}.map{|i| i.chr}.join('')
end

so, do this: install irb via
sudo apt-get install irb
then cd to the directory you saved this file in and type
irb
then type

require 'whateverfilenameyougaveit'
str2bin("your message goes here")

and it will spit your binary out, then

bin2str("10010101 010100101 010010110") # copy and paste this from the forum

and it will tell you what the binary says!
note that this 2 minute hack requires that the binary you paste into it be padded out to 8 digits for each character, and that each character is spereated by spaces.

01101000 01100001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01100110 01110101 01101110 00100001

infoburner
September 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM
01101000 01110100 01110100 01110000 00111010 00101111 00101111 01110111 01110111 01110111 00101110 01110011 01101001 01110100 01101001 01101110 01110100 01101000 01100101 01100011 01101111 01110010 01101110 01100101 01110010 00101110 01100011 01101111 01101101 00101111 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101111 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110 01110000 01101000 01110000

thats cool and all, but i wrote my own script! therefore, i am uber geek

Mr Wrath
September 6th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Well I just found out that I am...

not too bad, huh..

Mr Wrath
September 6th, 2006, 08:23 PM

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 01110011 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101111 01101111 00100000 01110011 01101000 01100001 01100010 01100010 01111001 00100000 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100101 01110100 01110100 01111001 00100000 01100111 01101111 01101111 01100100 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01100110 01100001 01100011 01110100 00100000 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110111 01101001 01100110 01100101 00100000 01101010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101100 01101100 01100101 01100100 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100111 01100101 01100101 01101011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 00110011 01110010 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 01100100 01100001 01111001 00100000 00100000 01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001

Mr Wrath
September 6th, 2006, 08:24 PM
01101111 01101011 00100000 01101001 00100111 01101101 00100000 01100111 01101111 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01100001 01100011 01101011 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100101 01101110 01100111 01101100 01101001 01110011 01101000 00101110 00101110 00101110 01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001

Mr Wrath
September 6th, 2006, 08:30 PM

'º;=0
nice...

3rdalbum
September 10th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Getting away from the ones posted in binary:

You set up your computer to boot up into the CLI rather than X

When using Windows, you still open up multiple instances of cmd.com

You bought a 40-disc CD wallet just to hold your collection of distros

If your TV stops displaying a picture, you wish the manufacturer had included Control-Alt-F1 so you could edit the xorg.conf file

When other Linux users ask you which desktop environment you prefer, you say "Zsh". If they say "No, I mean, what window manager?", you reply "GNU Screen" (or Ratpoison/Ion3).

xhaan
September 10th, 2006, 04:48 PM
When other Linux users ask you which desktop environment you prefer, you say "Zsh". If they say "No, I mean, what window manager?", you reply "GNU Screen" (or Ratpoison/Ion3).

I should make myself start using something like ratpoison... my mouse hand is getting like, decrepit and stuff.

NiceGuy
September 10th, 2006, 11:56 PM
... you get an award saying so on the last day of 6th form in the middle of assembly. Oh and when your actually proud of it!

mmcclure79
September 11th, 2006, 03:11 PM
you actually read all 22 pages of posts
You laughed at all but the binary ones (too lazy to figure out)

Ramses de Norre
September 11th, 2006, 04:41 PM
You're waiting for a prompt on your graphical calculator while making math exercices.. (Just happened to me :-k )

reacocard
September 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
.. you program your graphing calculator in math class just because you're bored. (Done that. programmed games into it. had tic-tac-toe, hangman and was working on chess.)

mike3k
September 12th, 2006, 06:05 PM
umm... if you have some uptime like this

crowell@maclintosh:~$ uptime
09:19:13 up 39 days, 10:56, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
lol!

meh... my server (which was running Debian at the time) was up 200 days until the power went out here after a hurricane.

rowanparker
September 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM
When you have 10 Official Dapper CDs then don't use them and use the alternate CD to install it because you prefer text-based installers.

you actually read all 22 pages of posts
You laughed at all but the binary ones (too lazy to figure out)
You read all 22 pages and worked out every single bingary one.

I guess I'm a geek but it doesn't bother me :D

pyros
September 14th, 2006, 04:17 AM
when you leave home for class and your bookbag contains:
pda
mp3 player
digital camera
cell phone
data cables for all of the above (and adapters for anything else)
power cables for all of the above (ac and auto)
headphones that cost more than the mp3 player
CF wifi card
CF lan card
~3 gig of sd/cf cards
(3) usb keys
a wallet of live cds
AND NO HOMEWORK

When the people at work can't tell your windows computer is still running windows. (I'd change it, but it reimages at boot)

enopepsoo
September 14th, 2006, 04:41 AM

You are a geek when you know ALL the keyboard shortcuts (or make your own).

You are a geek if you post on linux forums (especially if you think you aren't one).

\\:D/

enopepsoo
September 14th, 2006, 04:44 AM
you post on geek forums while waiting to watch star trek.

gtg watch star trek.

:KS

deepwave
September 14th, 2006, 05:10 AM
You can freely discuss on any part of computer science: hacking, hardware, OS design, etc.

wgaprotest
September 14th, 2006, 05:23 AM
These are just hilarious. Thanks for the belly laughs:D ; it's just what this newbie needed amidst all my struggles...

henriquemaia
September 14th, 2006, 05:33 AM
...you starting calling your girlfriend Tux...

Reshin
September 14th, 2006, 08:16 AM
...you starting calling your girlfriend Tux...

Ouch...

Reshin
September 14th, 2006, 08:19 AM
You dream about your friends arguing over laptops

doomstone
September 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Hehe i can't count how many time i have tryed that :D even i M$ Word on my laptop :D

doomstone
September 16th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Thinking in English dose not make you a geek :D I have thought myself to think in English (i'm danish), and becaus of this can i speak/type english faster then i would if i where thinking in danish :D

I have Math A, and they use a spical windows program that NO ONE have ever heard about. One time i got realy angry at my teacher, becaus she said it was my own problem that i can't read the data she have given us for a report, becaus i could just download the program from our homepage. I took myself in screaming at here :D

And my own.
You know you are a geek when you have wired all the power buttoms to your pc, so you can turn all eletric stuff on/off in your room thoug your pc. have an IR controller in your pc so you can control your TV and radio from your pc.

When you have a Xbox with a 300gb hdd for 4 years, but have never bought/downloaded any games for it.

When you have your own personal server.

When you have 100+ burned cd's laying around with out any wrighting on them, and just burn a new cd, even if you know you already have it alying aroud. Hey it is easyer :D

When you never have bought a totaly new pc, but only upgreads it part for part.

When you never trash any of your hold pc gear, what if you needed it some time? i think that i would be able to make 2-3 pc out of all the parts i have laying around.

When your pc is more clean then your room.

When you find it easyer to find a document on your computer, then finding a remote for your tv in your room.

When you try to get your friends to use Ubuntu.

--------------------------------------------------
I just want to tell you guys a thing.
There are to types of geeks.
The one who just can't talk about anything else then computers.
and the one who know alot about computers, and know that RL is not a program.

æþeling
September 16th, 2006, 09:39 PM
-You argue with the IT guy in your company when he proposes switching from Windows 95 to Ubuntu after upgrading the computers
-But like Ubuntu after using it anyway
-To the extent where you spend two weeks of free time for searching and reading tutorials
-And install it on your home computer afterwards
-Only to find out your modem isn't supported; but you buy a new one instead of giving up

(and yes, I'm speaking from personal experience)

matthew
September 16th, 2006, 10:15 PM
-You argue with the IT guy in your company when he proposes switching from Windows 95 to Ubuntu after upgrading the computers
-But like Ubuntu after using it anyway
-To the extent where you spend two weeks of free time for searching and reading tutorials
-And install it on your home computer afterwards
-Only to find out your modem isn't supported; but you buy a new one instead of giving up

(and yes, I'm speaking from personal experience)Great story...geek bosses are the best. :)

æþeling
September 16th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Great story...geek bosses are the best. :)

By "my company", I meant "the company I work for", not "the company I own":D

max.diems
September 16th, 2006, 11:34 PM
...when you want to write <= and >= and != in your math notes.
What do you mean try. I do.

And my additions:
The items on here that apply to you seem normal.
The others seem like a good idea to you.

ironfistchamp
September 16th, 2006, 11:43 PM
May have been said but you know your a geek when you try to quicksave before potentially difficult/dangerous situations...

Boy I felt stupid when asking a girl out adn starting off by saying F5 out loud. Total moron.

Ironfistchamp

æþeling
September 17th, 2006, 12:46 AM
May have been said but you know your a geek when you try to quicksave before potentially difficult/dangerous situations...

Boy I felt stupid when asking a girl out adn starting off by saying F5 out loud. Total moron.

Ironfistchamp

Shouldn't you quicksave, like, before asking her?;)

kf4ypd
September 17th, 2006, 01:12 AM
you get sent down to the principals office
for misorderly conduct in computer class

for 1 of 3 reasons

a, hacking the pc next to u
b, making a windows user cry
or c, confusing your computer teacher

ahh so true. good thing they havent caught me yet. but i don't consider it hacking when they leave the door open for you.

ironfistchamp
September 17th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Shouldn't you quicksave, like, before asking her?;)

Yes but I am not the quickest. I always quicksave just as I see the problem arising. Makes for some interesting gaming.

Pumm4
September 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM
You know you're a geek when your PC/Laptop has a (nick)name

æþeling
September 17th, 2006, 04:57 PM
You know you're a geek when your PC/Laptop has a (nick)name

And when you use it in conversations with friends ("I bought my {PC's name} a new graphics card/processor/hard disk/ram stick/bling-bling neon LED/whatever")

You know you're a geek...when, when you're bored late at night/early in the morning (2-7 AM), you use "fortune" to "talk" with your PC

Haegin
September 17th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Ironfistchamp

But that's ok, just quickload and try again surely?

alecjw
September 17th, 2006, 06:25 PM
When you can recite the QWERTY keyboard from Esc through to Enter

Wehn tou know clause to of FCC off by heart:
10. a) This device does not cause any harmful interference
b) This device will accept any interference caused, including interference which may cause undesired operation.

CarsomyrXIII
March 19th, 2007, 07:17 PM
When you use mess up and do ctrl+o in vim, :w in gedit and ctrl+s in nano.

graabein
March 19th, 2007, 10:13 PM
You know you're a geek when in real life you comment on how well the ocean is bump mapped.

I actually looked at some buildings in beautiful sunlight and thought: wow niiice graphics!

Adamant1988
March 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
... The last love note you wrote your girlfriend was written in bash commands....

v8YKxgHe
March 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM
When you read and write to this thread.

suziequzie
March 19th, 2007, 11:29 PM
When you sit around with your friends, referring to real life events in term of gaming jargon...

ie: "Oh, he just rolled doubled one's. Critical failure."

or you carry on conversations in your characters' voices when you're not even playing.

neoflight
May 15th, 2007, 12:45 AM
you append version numbers to your children's names :KS

bonzodog
July 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Ok, to bump this thread, and keep it going...

When your wife refers to the computer as 'The Mistress'.

Darkcloud
July 8th, 2007, 10:44 PM
when your knick knacks are computer parts
half of your apartment is filled with various stages of torn down computers
you can't decide which machine to use for the day so you turn them all on and use the kvm
#-o

steven8
July 9th, 2007, 12:42 AM
you start threads asking for people's favorite Monty Python quotes. . .

FuturePilot
July 9th, 2007, 12:46 AM
when you say sudo to someone with higher authority than you

init1
July 9th, 2007, 01:03 AM

I do that lots. Not just with the forums.

Nekiruhs
July 9th, 2007, 01:05 AM

A new device comes out and you and your "friends" make a pool on when someone puts linux on it

You wish you could write a shell script for your homework.

When your idea of building something is compiling.

When something breaks you say it segmentation faulted.