PDA

View Full Version : "The Ubuntu Installation Guide" - I can't believe this got Dugg

aysiu
July 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'm not going to link to it, because I don't think it should get any higher Google Rank or get any more hits, but a guide just got Dugg (and is in the Linux RSS feed for Digg), and I can't believe it.

Not only is the guide not that good, but it actually claims to be better than all the other guides out there (including mine):
For an Ubuntu beginner or curious Windows intermediate user however, there’s no single, simple source of information when it comes to making your first Ubuntu installation. There’s a lot of technical jargon and sometimes unnessecary terminal commands in lengthy forum posts, which I think might put some people off! A shame, when you think about how easy Ubuntu is to install, use and tweak to look really cool! Really? I did a search for that exact phrase and my guide was the fourth result. I find this personally offensive and extremely arrogant, especially since the author of the "guide" in question uses plenty of jargon.

Argh!

Okay. Rant over. Just letting out some frustration.

P.S. Do not link to the article in question in your replies. Thank you.

Canis familiaris
July 17th, 2008, 04:44 PM
EDIT: I misunderstood your post. I though you were mentioning someone who criticized Ubuntu's install.

Xzallion
July 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Theres always someone who thinks their way is better, just because it makes sense to them. Don't let it bother you aysiu.

steveneddy
July 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I never realized that aysiu read Digg.

scragar
July 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
any chance of an onbscured link to be made available(so like google.com/search?q=cheese -- where you open and close bold or whatever to keep it from making a link, or even registering as a link to search engines)

lukjad
July 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM
There may be a way, or you could just post a .jpg of the link. The trouble is that people will go there and that will bump up the ratings for the site.

aysiu
July 17th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Theres always someone who thinks their way is better, just because it makes sense to them. Don't let it bother you aysiu. Well, I think my guide is better than some of the other guides out there, too, but I don't have the arrogance to assert that no other good guides exist and that mine is the only one that is useful to new users. I happen to think my guides are pretty good, yes, but I know there are a lot of other good guides out there as well.

This person seems to think her or his guide is the only guide comprehensible to new users. Sadly, it is really nothing special.

I never realized that aysiu read Digg. I don't have a Digg account, and I don't discuss on Digg, but I do subscribe to the RSS feed. It's a quick way for me to keep up with Linux news.

Giant Speck
July 17th, 2008, 06:07 PM
They spelled unnecessary incorrectly. They should really consider learning the English language properly before claiming that their guide is the best.

Chame_Wizard
July 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I'm not going to link to it, because I don't think it should get any higher Google Rank or get any more hits, but a guide just got Dugg (and is in the Linux RSS feed for Digg), and I can't believe it.

Not only is the guide not that good, but it actually claims to be better than all the other guides out there (including mine): Really? I did a search for that exact phrase and my guide was the fourth result. I find this personally offensive and extremely arrogant, especially since the author of the "guide" in question uses plenty of jargon.

Argh!

Okay. Rant over. Just letting out some frustration.

P.S. Do not link to the article in question in your replies. Thank you.

This person is completely incompetent :guitar:[-X

Vadi
July 17th, 2008, 08:23 PM
It looked like a reasonable guide to me. Setup the basics you need.

Edit: Oh and it got dugg because these people are experienced in such things, plain and simple. More of them on our 'side' the better.

Can+~
July 17th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I don't have a Digg account, and I don't discuss on Digg, but I do subscribe to the RSS feed. It's a quick way for me to keep up with Linux news.

And iPhones...

If I remember well.. I buried that story.

Don't worry, the digg crowd isn't stupid, just read the top comments:
http://digg.com/linux_unix/The_Ubuntu_Installation_Guide_How_to_Set_it_Up_On_ Your_Own