PDA

View Full Version : So there I was

Riffer
July 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM
So there I was in "Staples", when I noticed this NetBook (make and model eludes me) for $899, almost twice the price of an EEE.

So I ask one of the "computer associates" why it was so expensive.

"Well its a better machine!"

"How so?"

"Well first off it runs Vista."

"Ummm Thats not a selling point as I use Linux."

At that point the poor young man was so taken aback and couldn't come up with anything else, that I thanked him and went off to check out monitors.

I know it may sound silly, but I still giggle when I think about it.

hellion0
July 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Wow. Got to love those big-box electronics stores...

original_jamingrit
July 17th, 2008, 04:14 PM
He has a point. If it's capable of running Vista, it must be a good high-performance machine!

Funny story.

Jim!
July 17th, 2008, 04:14 PM
If it could run Vista (well), then it must have been a netbook with some fancy hardware cause Vista has some pretty steep requirements!

Mr. Picklesworth
July 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM
http://xkcd.com/272/

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/linux_user_at_best_buy.png
We actually stand around the antivirus displays with the Mac users just waiting for someone to ask.

Riffer
July 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Probably is a smoking machine, but doesn't kinda defeat the purpose of a netbook. A good inexpensive machine that allows you to do the basics, like word processing and web browsing?

At that price you can get a pretty good laptop.

Yeah ya gotta love them big box electronics stores. If there was a good reseller up here thats where I would go. As it is I have to say I did at one time see an EEE there.

wrtpeeps
July 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Well, a eee won't run vista, and this one will.

That makes it a better machine. MOre "power".

You have to take a real obscure look on it to make that out as "not any better".

zmjjmz
July 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Couldn't he just say that it's more powerful hardware wise?
I mean, he should know that the general public isn't too fond of Vista.

Riffer
July 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Oh I'm sure it is a more powerful machine, I just had to laugh that the big selling point is that it had vista.

billgoldberg
July 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Probably is a smoking machine, but doesn't kinda defeat the purpose of a netbook. A good inexpensive machine that allows you to do the basics, like word processing and web browsing?

At that price you can get a pretty good laptop.

Yeah ya gotta love them big box electronics stores. If there was a good reseller up here thats where I would go. As it is I have to say I did at one time see an EEE there.

Who ever said a netbook has to be cheap?

These things have been around longer than the eepc.

-

Saying the netbook runs Vista is a good point the clerck made. That implies the hardware is superior to the less expensive models.

You know it, but you just wanted to be a wise guy and tell them you run Linux, hoping he will think to himself "wow, he must be some kind of computer guru".