PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to compile tar.gz files

ultimate_aektzis
July 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I found a game in tar.gz format.After googling I found that this is the source code of the game and I have to compile it via terminal.The question is which are those commands that allow me to compile the game.
thanks in advance

tuxxy
July 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM
tar xvzf gamename.tar.gz

Then it should created a directory so move to that dir;

cd dirname

Then you should run de configure script;

sudo ./configure

Then compile it;

sudo make

Then finally;

sudo make install

ultimate_aektzis
July 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Hmm,when I run the 1st command the following message appears

periklis@p:~$ tar xvzf scilab-4.1.2.bin.linux-i686.tar.gz
tar: scilab-4.1.2.bin.linux-i686.tar.gz: Δεν είναι δυνατή open: No such file or directory
tar: Το σφάλμα δεν είναι επανορθώσιμο: τερματισμός τώρα
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Καθυστέρησε το σφάλμα εξόδου από προηγούμενα σφάλματα
periklis@p:~$

If you dont understand something just tell me to translate:)

Partyboi2
July 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM
If you are trying to install Scilab, the Matrix-based scientific software it is in the ubuntu repos.

sudo apt-get install scilabEdit: Here is some info on compiling from source
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/#source
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/softinstall.html

After you have extracted it, read the readme or install file to see how to install it as not all programs are installed with:
./configure
make
sudo make install

ultimate_aektzis
July 17th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I know about the repos ;)
But as a newbie I want to try compilation.Its very "funny",as far as I know.:)

Vivaldi Gloria
July 17th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I found a game in tar.gz format.After googling I found that this is the source code of the game and I have to compile it via terminal.The question is which are those commands that allow me to compile the game.
thanks in advance

Make sure that you have build-essential installed.

Right click on tar.gz and choose extract it (or whatever it's called in the english ubuntu).

Then read the installation instructions in the folder.

Partyboi2
July 18th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Hmm,when I run the 1st command the following message appears

If you dont understand something just tell me to translate:)
Did you change directory to where the file is located? For example if the downloaded file is on the Desktop you would first need to cd to that directory before trying to extract it.

cd ~/Desktopthen

tar xvzf scilab-4.1.2.bin.linux-i686.tar.gz if you notice the file that you downloaded is a binary file which has a different install process then if you were compiling from source (check the readme file) If you are wanting to compile from source you would need to download the source version. You can download that from here (http://www.scilab.org/download/index_download.php)
To install the binary file after you have extracted it and change directory (cd) into the newly created scilab-4.1.2 folder you would type

make
then to run it you would need to change into the /scilab-4.1.2/bin directory and type

./scilab

steveneddy
July 18th, 2008, 02:01 AM
You have to tell the teminal where the application is first.

If you downloaded the .tar.gz file to the desktop, then in terminal

cd ~/Desktop

then do the

./configure
sudo make
sudo make install
sudo make clean

You must always cd (change directory) to the location of the files that you want to work with.

ultimate_aektzis
July 20th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I put the file in home folder so I dont need cd ;).I think that the problem is the

if you notice the file that you downloaded is a binary file which has a different install process then if you were compiling from source (check the readme file) If you are wanting to compile from source you would need to download the source version. You can download that from here
To install the binary file after you have extracted it and change directory (cd) into the newly created scilab-4.1.2 folder you would type

I will try again and for further information I will ask you again.thank you all:)