PDA

View Full Version : Best environment for learning C in Ubuntu?

Jackfrost123
July 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hey you guys what would you suggest I use to learn the basics in C for ubuntu?

Jackfrost123
July 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
bump

skrållarn
July 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I would recommend you read a book about C and use the same editors and compilers as used in the examples in the book. I learned C++ by reading "C++ programming" by Stephen Prata. if you google for a while im sure you´ll find several good websites and forums for C/C++ as there are many.

lazyart
July 17th, 2008, 02:43 PM
C and C++ are a bit different. I would just skip C and go straight to C++ if I were you. Stephen Prata's book is a great one.

Bachstelze
July 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Hey you guys what would you suggest I use to learn the basics in C for ubuntu?

vim

Or are you looking for resources? Define "environment" please.

Jackfrost123
July 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your help, I gotta do c first due to university requirements, I am a computer science major. Well, I can't define environment really, I don't know exactly what I am looking for, maybe something along the lines of a windows environment, with some features that are better than say a command line program editor and a compiler by themselves

the_darkside_986
July 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM
For IDE, I prefer Codeblocks, and there are deb packages for it. It is the least unbearable IDE for Gnome that I can find. http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/5#linux

The build-essential package should be installed first because it contains the C/C++ compiler, which can then be auto-detected by Codeblocks on first run.

Jackfrost123
July 17th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hey darkside, that's what I meant, great help, any others?

era86
July 17th, 2008, 11:49 PM
C and C++ are a bit different. I would just skip C and go straight to C++ if I were you. Stephen Prata's book is a great one.

[-X Don't skip C. I found it very helpful to learn it before any other language out there.

If you want, you can try using Anjuta as well. I also heard Netbeans now has C support, or maybe that was C++ support.

Either way, I feel Gedit and GCC is the best way to learn... that's just me. ;)

samjh
July 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your help, I gotta do c first due to university requirements, I am a computer science major. Well, I can't define environment really, I don't know exactly what I am looking for, maybe something along the lines of a windows environment, with some features that are better than say a command line program editor and a compiler by themselves

If I were you, I'd focus on the language itself rather than the environment. And for learning the language, just simple text editor and command line is a good place to start.

If you insist on an IDE, you've got Geany, which is a very simple IDE for multiple languages, but it tends to focus on C. CodeBlocks is very nice but complex and is specific to C and C++. Eclipse is another complex "heavy" IDE, well-liked by many C and C++ programmers who do huge projects.

C Tutorial: http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html#ctutorial

bruce89
July 18th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Either way, I feel Gedit and GCC is the best way to learn... that's just me. ;)

No, I too prefer that. I feel that IDEs remove my power too much.

OpposingForce
July 18th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Use emacs and gcc (or g++), you can use vim also but I found it to be very annoying.

LaRoza
July 18th, 2008, 02:28 AM
The easiest way is to use an editor you already know (gedit, for Ubuntu, with its plugins), and not try to learn a new tools until you are ready.

Vim is better than Emacs.

era86
July 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Vim is better than Emacs.

Here we go again...

Though, I agree ;)