PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Forgot Password AND username for installation

OMGZwhitepeople
July 17th, 2008, 07:34 AM
im not experienced with Linux

i tryed installing ubuntu 8.04, on my laptop by dividing my windows partation.

when it was all done installing, it asks me what i put down for my "username" and "password"... i tryed everything -->unsuccessful

id be very happy just reinstalling the OS but, when i get to the installation menu screen i have 3 options. option 1) (what i used to install at first) has a slider that allows you to choose how much room you want to put ubutntu onto an existing windows partation. 2) install ubuntu on a whole hard drive, and 3) manual.

i tryed doing manual to try and delete the partition and reinstall over it... but i cant get it to work something about "no root found"

i also tryed the whole "init=/bin/bash" when you edit the kernel... but when i restart to try and type "passwrd"... it only lets me type one character (i have no idea why) and when i try to type "reboot" it says it wont allow it and i have to cold boot it.

im at a loss, if anyone knows any tips on how to reinstall this it will really help.

again im sorry for not having experience with this OS

meindian523
July 17th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Actually,it's not passwrd,it's
passwd you are looking for.What you believe to be typing only one character is not that,it is in fact obscuring your password so that someone over your shoulder can't read it.That's right,you won't even have *s to mark your progress.Just go ahead and type your entire password and press Enter.It will accept your new password and allow you to login.