PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel HDA 82801H Issue

Fiki
July 17th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I recently bought a new Gateway laptop with an Intel HDA 82801H sound device. I installed the 64 bit version of 8.04. The sound plays, unfortunately there is no way for me to control the volume. Changing the volume using the default ubuntu mixer has no effect on the actual sound volume. Muting has no effect either. The driver seems to be installed and the device is recognized by the OS. After running alsamixer the audio just stops completely until I reboot again (this may or may not be relevant to the solution). If I can't get the audio working properly with volume control I just may cry - and not in any manly way either.

Fiki
July 17th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Basically, the issue isn't that the sound isn't working it's that the laptop is stuck on max volume regardless of how I change the mixer. Any suggestions?

Fiki
July 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm much dumber than I thought - although controlling the master volume has no effect (that does still seem odd to me) controlling the PCM or front sliders do effect the volume appropriately. However, an issue still remains - under system>prefrences>keyboard shortcuts I can only create a shortcut for the master volume, but not for the front volume. Is there any other way to do this so I can use my laptop's buttons to change the volume rather than using the slider?

wolfen69
July 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM
right click your little speaker icon and select preferences. then select "front".

Fiki
July 17th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Yes I am aware of that, but I can't get the keyboard shortcuts to change anything other than master volume.

Fiki
July 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Now, the audio actually clips out every few seconds. Does anyone know how I can get an ICH8 family card to work in 8.04?