PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't even run a live cd...

mattylight
July 17th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Hey everyone I'm Matt...

and I'm a huge noob to linux, but so far I'm enjoying myself. I have an old Averatec 3200 series notebook on which I figured I would install ubuntu. It has lousy specs, and can barely keep up with XP. It has an AMD ath XP-M LV2200+ running at 1.26 GHZ, 480MB RAM, and a 60G hd.

So here is the problem, I have 3 ubuntu CDs, which all work just fine on every other computer I own, except the averatec. I boot from the cd drive, and the typical welcome screen comes up with the language selection. I choose the first option, to run from the live cd, then it goes to the ubuntu logo and the little back and forth thing. After this it flashes the same 4 lines at the top of the screen several times, and those four lines eventually stay. They are as follows:

* Starting deferred execution scheduler atd [ok]
* Starting periodic command scheduler crond [ok]
* Checking battery state... [ok]
* Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [ok]

then it stops doing anything. I can type below that, but nothing happens. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I did lots of searches and came up empty. So any help would be awesome!

I can't wait to install ubuntu on my new acer one when I get it friday...

Rocket2DMn
July 17th, 2008, 05:14 AM
You may want to try using the alternate install cd - it doesn't have a live session, just a text based installer, but it is intuitive and easy to use. You can get it at http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download by checking the box at the bottom for the alternate cd. The LiveCD doesn't work for everybody, but the alternate cd works for basically everybody since it doesn't have to deal with X (the GUI stuff). After install, you should be OK, the LiveCD just has limited support.

mattylight
July 17th, 2008, 05:19 AM
If I were to install the alternate version would I then be able to intall the GNOME without much trouble? I'm not really prepared for a text only interface...if that is indeed the case.

Oh and thanks for an amazingly fast reply.
-matt

Rocket2DMn
July 17th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Using the alternate cd will install all the GUI stuff, it just doesn't use it during the install (hence a Live session with the LiveCD). What is the video card in the laptop?

mattylight
July 17th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Again rapid answers, thanks!

Well now, the video cared, that is a very good question...I couldn't find it when I was checking my hardware stuff in the XP manager. I will look for it tomorrow and let you know, as well as try the alternate install cd, for now it is bed time, goodnight.
-matt

Rocket2DMn
July 17th, 2008, 05:33 AM
OK you probably don't need to worry about it. Do the install, then we'll deal with it if problems should arise.
Are you setting up a dual boot on that machine? If so, don't forget to defrag windows at least once, preferably twice if it's an old install. This helps make room for Ubuntu.

meindian523
July 17th, 2008, 07:58 AM
If I were to install the alternate version would I then be able to intall the GNOME without much trouble? I'm not really prepared for a text only interface...if that is indeed the case.

Oh and thanks for an amazingly fast reply.
-matt
A text install doesn't mean a text based interface after install.After install,you will have the GUI and all.Only,as Rocket2DMn said,the installer won't use it,and you will have to use a text based interface WHILE installing.

mattylight
July 17th, 2008, 11:19 PM
well the averatec is dead, not from software, but from a bad fall from the table...the battery on it was shot, so I had to run it with the ac adapter and I managed to kick the cord which pulled the laptop onto the floor. It cracked the part of the case that the AC hooked into and now I have no power at all...Oh well it was just an old computer anyway. Thanks for all the help so far. I will be back tomorrow once my Acer One comes in, I want Ubuntu on it....

meindian523
July 18th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Lol.Mark the thread solved anyway.Start a new thread for your new Acer,to help others searching for the same model of laptop later.