PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] kernel update - Low graphics mode

kbuel
July 17th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I have a pangolin performance laptop. I just did an update and the Kernel updated from 2.6.24-17 to 2.6.24-19, and after I restarted, the computer can't load X and goes into low graphics mode. Is this a known issue?

thomasaaron
July 17th, 2008, 03:19 PM
That's the first time I've seen that happen in a while.

Try running your system76 driver and rebooting...

System > Administration > System76 Driver > Install Tab > Install Button.

MorphWVUtuba
July 17th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I had a similar problem on my non-S76 desktop, which has an NVidia graphics card. If I boot the "dash19" kernel, I lose Compiz-Fusion. I'll just stay on the 2.6.24-16-generic until NVidia chooses to fix their binary crap or I get fed up and go buy an ATI card from somewhere.:mad:

kbuel
July 18th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I reinstalled the system 76 driver and it still goes into low graphics mode.

This computer uses an nvidia graphics card too. It is using the nvidia-glx-new driver.

I tried reinstalling this driver but still no luck.

FTBPrimeEvil
July 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I have no idea what a system 76 is, but all you need to do is re-instate your backup file of your xorg.conf

or do a "cat' on all the files called xorg.* etc...... to find the right one with the correct parameters

Usually Located at /etc/X11

When you install the nvidia drivers it over rights the xorg.conf file. but i noticed that if you re-install the nvidia drivers a second time due to a kernel update the xorg.conf file is not over right'n like it should be, thus causing problems.

among other files the xorg.conf is one that i keep a backup of.

thomasaaron
July 18th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Please do this:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot now

kbuel
July 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hi,

I ran those three commands but when it restarted it is still goes into low graphics mode.

thomasaaron
July 18th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Hmmm...

That's kind of odd. I just did that test on your configuration in the shop, and it worked. So, you must have something else hosing nvidia. Maybe...

Have you tried setting your resolution? System > Prefs > Screen Resolution?
(Sorry, I have to ask...)

kbuel
July 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah when I try to set the screen resolution the highest is 800x600.

Also under hardware drivers it doesn't list nvidia. (which may be normal, when in low graphics mode)

kbuel
July 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I'm trying to think what I would have done to hurt the original set up. The only "crazy" thing I can think of was installing trying to configure... and then uninstalling kppp.

kbuel
July 20th, 2008, 10:39 PM
When I went to the System 76 driver and went to the system info tab, it said that this was a "serval performance" but my laptop is actually a Pangolin performance.

I was thinking that maybe my laptop was not imaged correctly?

Because I really didn't do anything except for just run the ubuntu update/upgrade, I didn't have anything to lose, so i just formatted it and re-installed Ubuntu.

I have now done a normal apt-get update/upgrade and everything is working... (not in low graphics mode)

thomasaaron
July 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM
That is just a bug in the driver, where it doesn't properly recognize your particular model. That does not affect the nvidia, though. Sounds like you just had a badly hosed configuration somewhere.