PDA

View Full Version : Report from MSN on hackers

hellzkeeper1216
July 16th, 2008, 08:06 PM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080716-report-cybercrime-groups-starting-to-operate-like-the-mafia.html

i found it to be an interesting arcticle

LaRoza
July 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM
It is on criminals, not hackers ;)

ESR, RMS, Linus are hackers.

the_darkside_986
July 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM
It is nothing new that the propaganda machine lumps criminals into the same category as hackers, as the system despises the whole hacker philosophy of computer freedom, sharing software, etc.

YaroMan86
July 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM
It is nothing new that the propaganda machine lumps criminals into the same category as hackers, as the system despises the whole hacker philosophy of computer freedom, sharing software, etc.

I always thought it was thanks to the tendency of the media to put the word "hacker" where "cracker" is supposed to be.

TBOL3
July 16th, 2008, 08:39 PM
As much as I agree with you, I'm not about to walk down the street saying "I'm a hacker," even though I am (not a good one though). I do this because of the way everyone else uses the word. And if I do say it, I'll probably find a warrant to search my computer, and they'll find plenty of software which looks like it's for a cracker (linux anyone?).

cardinals_fan
July 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
How do we know that these groups aren't actually the existing Mafia?

Koori23
July 16th, 2008, 11:00 PM

You're right. The Triads and the so called "Five Families" yada yada.. The game is different now, running moonshine across state lines and having a speakeasy in your warehouse IS NOT how the game is played anymore.

These guys want money.. However, they are seeming to blur the lines between "good old fashioned Al Capone" to Spying.. That carries with it a whole buncha other factors..

Back in the 20's and 30's.. THey DID NOT as a general rule mess with the public at large.. These guys did have a code of honor, and they enforced it. Now a days, it's all about the cash.

LaRoza
July 16th, 2008, 11:20 PM

Because the Mafia doesn't exist.

Y
These guys want money.. However, they are seeming to blur the lines between "good old fashioned Al Capone" to Spying.. That carries with it a whole buncha other factors..

Back in the 20's and 30's.. THey DID NOT as a general rule mess with the public at large.. These guys did have a code of honor, and they enforced it. Now a days, it's all about the cash.

Don't romantasize it. It was always about the money and had no "honour". They just didn't want attention. They still don't want attention.

cardinals_fan
July 16th, 2008, 11:22 PM
You're right. The Triads and the so called "Five Families" yada yada.. The game is different now, running moonshine across state lines and having a speakeasy in your warehouse IS NOT how the game is played anymore.

Organized crime has evolved too. I'm sure that the Mafia has a cyber-crime (I love that term!) division.

LaRoza
July 17th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Organized crime has evolved too. I'm sure that the Mafia has a cyber-crime (I love that term!) division.

The mafia doesn't exist.

(And you are right, organized crime has a big cyber presense)

zmjjmz
July 17th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Wait, this is Ars Technica, not MSN.

LaRoza
July 17th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Wait, this is Ars Technica, not MSN.

Probably linked to from MSN.

cardinals_fan
July 17th, 2008, 04:19 AM
The mafia doesn't exist.
You don't know anything, OK? We don't want to hurt you...

TBOL3
July 17th, 2008, 05:00 AM
PLEASE!!! Don't hurt me...... See, I've got myself plastered against the wall.