PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Medion Akoya LS Installation Problem

lhb1142
July 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM
:lolflag: I have a Medion Akoya LS (Model No. SIM2010) which I purchased in May 2005. It originally shipped with Windows XP Home Edition. It has an ATA Disk: Samsung MP0603H UD10 55GB S03ZJ10Y233303.

It has BIOS version: MMEUS1.80 04.21.2005 EC Version 1.1

Its processor is: Intel Pentium M Proc. 1.60 GHz
Speed: 1600 MHz FSB Speed: 533 MHz
System Memory: 2040 MB
Share Memory Enabled, 8 MB

The BIOS is set to default.

Ubuntu 8.04 'Hardy Heron' will not install on this computer. At the end of the installation, which otherwise appears to proceed normally, the desktop screen appears with the "Examples" folder and an "Install" folder. When I click on the "Install" folder, a "Crash" message is indicated which states that "Ubiquity" has closed down.

When I shut off the computer and restart it, Ubuntu Linux has not installed.

I do not understand this nor why the program will not install. Before attempting installation, I totally "wiped" the disk (with Darik's Boot and Nuke Version 2.0) and I know that the Ubuntu disk is good - I received it several months ago from "Getubuntu" itself (my disk was shipped from The Netherlands) and I have already used the disk to install Ubuntu Linux to three other computers. (Prior to trying to install to a totally empty disk, I had tried installing it to the computer along with Winodws XP - I wanted a dual-boot computer - and allowing it to partition the drive. This failed several times, both when Windows XP Home was installed as NTFS files and as FAT32 files.)

Can someone help me in determining 1) the reason for the complete failure to install and 2) a "fix." I hope that someone "out there" owns one of these machines and has overcome these difficulties.

Thank you in advance for any help.