PDA

View Full Version : Do Mac users like GNOME better?

ryaxnb
July 16th, 2008, 06:02 PM
The reason I'm wondering is because Mark Shuttleworth chose GNOME at a time when the most popular was probably KDE, and he thinks Macs are the best DE.
The HIG of GNOME arguably provides for the most unifed, "mac-like" experience if using HIG-compliant (and thus usually GNOME-centric) apps. I value the HIG greatly, which is why I personally use GNOME. KDE 3.5 doesn't "click" with me. KDE 4.1 looks interesting, but unfinished. I'm hoping it will eventually be very good.:)

helliewm
July 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Coming from Windows I hate KDE. I made the decision to go 100% cold turkey and 2 years later I am still here! KDE always seems so cluttered in the left hand corner.

There are several KDE apps I love Amarok, K3B, BasketNotes for detailed notes. Tomboy is great just for short notes.

Coming from Windows KDE is too similar to XP. I am not keen on KDE4 either.

Helen

Canis familiaris
July 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Coming from Windows I hate KDE. I made the decision to go 100% cold turkey and 2 years later I am still here! KDE always seems so cluttered in the left hand corner.

There are several KDE apps I love Amarok, K3B, BasketNotes for detailed notes. Tomboy is great just for short notes.

Coming from Windows KDE is too similar to XP. I am not keen on KDE4 either.

Helen

Yeah I agree! KDE has far too much eye-candy and is far too bluish IMO. But KDE apps really rock.

LittleLORDevil
July 16th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I came from Windows and I love GNOME so much more. I started on KDE with Fedora Core 4

rossjman1
July 16th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I used to use KDE 3.1 (I think) back in 2004, when I first switched to Linux. I was using Debian Sarge, then I switched to Ubuntu, and I love GNOME!

23meg
July 16th, 2008, 07:31 PM
he thinks Macs are the best DE.

Source?

dizee
July 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
i don't know the answer to your question, but yeah, despite the fact that the menubar thingy at the top is a little harder to get, gnome is a lot more mac-like. has a bar at the top, changes to settings happen immediately (no "apply" button"), KISS interface which makes conscious decisions to hide certain options away somewhere (if they're available at all). so you would presume so.

that said, i prefer gnome to kde after being a windows user, so maybe it works the opposite way and mac users would prefer kde.

BigSilly
July 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM
To me, it's all Linux, it's all good. I love both KDE and GNOME.

If you're really going to make me pick just one....then I'd probably have to go with GNOME, since I just find it that bit more intuitive to use. KDE has so many options, which I applaud, but when you just want to do something simple like alterations to sound etc, it can perhaps be more troublesome than it needs to be.

madjr
July 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM
depends on the distro too

In Opensuse i like KDE better (because is better supported, nice menu and is not so BLUE!)

in Ubuntu i like Gnome better (because is better supported)

kubuntu just doesn't cut it.

YaroMan86
July 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Hmmmmmm...

I don't think that would be so black and white. That's like asking of all Texans like burgers. We can't really apply something like preference to a whole group o fpeople beyond "those who like burgers" being a group of people, all who like burgers.

Or am I misunderstanding the meaning of the thread?

nkri
July 16th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I like GNOME a lot better than KDE (tried KDE for two days and had enough after ten minutes); It looks better, is more user-friendly, and is easier to use, but that's just my opinion:).

-nkri

Pogeymanz
July 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I came from Windows and I slightly prefer KDE to Gnome, though I don't use either on my own computer.

My coworker, on the other hand, used a MAC at home and Linux at work and always made KDE his desktop. (Work computers have both KDE and Gnome installed)

I do hate how KDE seems to have a lot of different ways to change the same settings. At least that's how it feels to me.

EDIT: The default KDE theme is very ugly, I'll give you that.

diskotek
July 16th, 2008, 09:25 PM
sounds very irrelevant :(

cardinals_fan
July 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I dislike GNOME for the same reason I dislike Mac OS X. Hiding choices from the user != ease of use.

screaminj3sus
July 16th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I'm a windows user (omg I actually use vista :o ) and I can't stand KDE, IMO it is WAY to cluttered. Gnome is a lot better but is it COMPLETELY ridiculous you have to go to gconf-editor just to put the friggin trash icon on your desktop ect.. They are two different extremes and linux needs something in the middle.

acelin
July 16th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Source?

Source.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9985232-16.html

dizee
July 17th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I'm a windows user (omg I actually use vista :o ) and I can't stand KDE, IMO it is WAY to cluttered. Gnome is a lot better but is it COMPLETELY ridiculous you have to go to gconf-editor just to put the friggin trash icon on your desktop ect.. They are two different extremes and linux needs something in the middle.
xfce? :)

wrtpeeps
July 17th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Always hated kde.

Xubuntu. XFCE4. Love it.

VitaLiNux
July 17th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Maybe in the future I'll give a chance to KDE. For the time being, I'll stick with Gnome ;)

madjr
July 17th, 2008, 12:49 AM

wow, you need to get modernized :)

we use ubuntu tweak now for that

http://getdeb.net/

also, linuxmint has had mintdesktop for years now

aysiu
July 17th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I contest the idea that KDE is more Windows-like than Gnome:
Is KDE ‘more Windows-like’ than Gnome? (http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2007/05/09/is-kde-more-windows-like-than-gnome/)

pluviosity
July 17th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Oy, I get tired of hearing people make complaints about KDE or Gnome based on the default settings.

KDE can be as brown as you want it to be just as you can make Gnome very blue. KDE can look like Windows, Mac OS X, or other interfaces because of its philosophy in keeping options available for the user. You could even remove the so-called "cluttered" aspects from the panel menus in KDE and make them more Gnome-like if you so choose. Gnome's settings are often simpler and more intuitive than KDE's, which is a selling point for a lot of people. You can also make Gnome look more Windows-like than KDE.

What also gets on my nerves is criticizing KDE or Gnome based on the implementation in a distro. Obviously, Gnome on Ubuntu will be more stable than KDE because more effort is geared toward Gnome; if you look at, say, openSUSE, Gnome and KDE experiences may be reversed. So please consider the whole implementation, not just the environment.

Honestly, it seems like a good number of the reasons people give for liking or disliking either one are more akin to mild fanboyism than thought-out responses.

As a disclaimer, I personally use Kubuntu, mostly because I use KDE apps and I like the integration. I don't like how KDE's settings can be difficult to navigate at times, something Gnome does better. Additionally, my KDE desktop looks a lot less like Windows than other environments.

ANYHOW, back to the original question, having used Macs before, I would say that you could probably get a split on Mac converts for both desktops. Both can look like Macs, if that is all that Mac converts would be looking for. Mac people are just like other people in that they fall on a spectrum of preferences.

madjr
July 17th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Oy, I get tired of hearing people make complaints about KDE or Gnome based on the default settings.

KDE can be as brown as you want it to be just as you can make Gnome very blue. KDE can look like Windows, Mac OS X, or other interfaces because of its philosophy in keeping options available for the user. You could even remove the so-called "cluttered" aspects from the panel menus in KDE and make them more Gnome-like if you so choose. Gnome's settings are often simpler and more intuitive than KDE's, which is a selling point for a lot of people. You can also make Gnome look more Windows-like than KDE.

What also gets on my nerves is criticizing KDE or Gnome based on the implementation in a distro. Obviously, Gnome on Ubuntu will be more stable than KDE because more effort is geared toward Gnome; if you look at, say, openSUSE, Gnome and KDE experiences may be reversed. So please consider the whole implementation, not just the environment.

Honestly, it seems like a good number of the reasons people give for liking or disliking either one are more akin to mild fanboyism than thought-out responses.

As a disclaimer, I personally use Kubuntu, mostly because I use KDE apps and I like the integration. I don't like how KDE's settings can be difficult to navigate at times, something Gnome does better. Additionally, my KDE desktop looks a lot less like Windows than other environments.

ANYHOW, back to the original question, having used Macs before, I would say that you could probably get a split on Mac converts for both desktops. Both can look like Macs, if that is all that Mac converts would be looking for. Mac people are just like other people in that they fall on a spectrum of preferences.

pic? :popcorn:

screaminj3sus
July 17th, 2008, 03:34 AM
wow, you need to get modernized :)

we use ubuntu tweak now for that

http://getdeb.net/

also, linuxmint has had mintdesktop for years now

Yeah but you still have to install additional software or tweaks to do such a simple thing.

ryaxnb
July 17th, 2008, 04:17 AM

Also having used Macs, and still using Macs, I say they would like GNOME for the consistency and the feel. The GNOME HIG 2.22 is very similar to the Mac HIG. If you don't understand the HIG, it is a document that tells how to design a UI properly. It is critical is IMHO most OSS guys, with the possible exception of Xfce don't "get" how to design a friendly, welcoming UI. The HIG does. Whoever wrote the GNOME HIG knows their stuff, it is very understandable yet following it will produce a superb UI. Furthermore, GNOME's "less prefs" and "better dialogs" and "better accessibility" and "users MAY be idiots" philosophies (if GNOME even has that last philosophy) are the right way to go for a newbie and intermediate user friendly desktop. Of course users who love .conf file editing and command-lines and that sort of stuff are welcome to use some other WM/DE, that's what's so great about Linux and for an expert like Linus I can see why he'd like KDE.

cardinals_fan
July 17th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Also having used Macs, and still using Macs, I say they would like GNOME for the consistency and the feel. The GNOME HIG 2.22 is very similar to the Mac HIG. If you don't understand the HIG, it is a document that tells how to design a UI properly. It is critical is IMHO most OSS guys, with the possible exception of Xfce don't "get" how to design a friendly, welcoming UI. The HIG does. Whoever wrote the GNOME HIG knows their stuff, it is very understandable yet following it will produce a superb UI. Furthermore, GNOME's "less prefs" and "better dialogs" and "better accessibility" and "users MAY be idiots" philosophies (if GNOME even has that last philosophy) are the right way to go for a newbie and intermediate user friendly desktop. Of course users who love .conf file editing and command-lines and that sort of stuff are welcome to use some other WM/DE, that's what's so great about Linux and for an expert like Linus I can see why he'd like KDE.
This is why Xfce is great. It's simple enough on the surface for newbies, but dig a little deeper and you find a wealth of options.

Ioky
July 17th, 2008, 07:01 AM
haha, for some reason, I like both of them, and I really think, they are not much difference, but that is just me. The both have rock software come with it. But serious, they both have bad looking Icons by default. But if I have to get a #1 of my choice, I would say KDEmod, well you can only use it with Arch Linux which is also my #1 Linux distro. Ubuntu come second (because it have a bit too much unless things, and user friendly which make the system run as fast as it could)

screaminj3sus
July 17th, 2008, 03:45 PM
haha, for some reason, I like both of them, and I really think, they are not much difference, but that is just me. The both have rock software come with it. But serious, they both have bad looking Icons by default. But if I have to get a #1 of my choice, I would say KDEmod, well you can only use it with Arch Linux which is also my #1 Linux distro. Ubuntu come second (because it have a bit too much unless things, and user friendly which make the system run as fast as it could)

The Icons are fine, the gnome tango based icons looks really polished imo, it's the cheesy looking themes that need work. They don't look very polished or professional. A good example of a great theme is Suse 11.

pluviosity
July 17th, 2008, 08:24 PM
pic? :popcorn:

Here is a screenshot of one of my desktops. I dare you to say that it looks like Windows :p

Icehuck
July 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Here is a screenshot of one of my desktops. I dare you to say that it looks like Windows :p

It looks like windows! Kidding! :P

Nice looking DE though I will say.

acelin
July 17th, 2008, 08:38 PM
It's grey and drab like Windows.

stchman
July 17th, 2008, 08:41 PM
The reason I'm wondering is because Mark Shuttleworth chose GNOME at a time when the most popular was probably KDE, and he thinks Macs are the best DE.
The HIG of GNOME arguably provides for the most unifed, "mac-like" experience if using HIG-compliant (and thus usually GNOME-centric) apps. I value the HIG greatly, which is why I personally use GNOME. KDE 3.5 doesn't "click" with me. KDE 4.1 looks interesting, but unfinished. I'm hoping it will eventually be very good.:)

Probably, you can make Gnome look EXACTLY like OS X with a theme and installing the dock. I do not believe KDE can be made to look like OS X very easily. SO this may give a Mac user a very familiar looking environment. Also you can make Gnome look exactly like XP as well.