PDA

View Full Version : Auto-NDISwrapper

kevin11951
July 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM
https://launchpad.net/auto-ndiswrapprer
This program automatically looks at what Wi-Fi card you have, it disables any wireless driver currently installed, fetches the correct Windows driver from the Internet and installs it with NDISwrapper.

myusername
July 16th, 2008, 05:31 PM
sweet!!!

RiceMonster
July 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
That's excellent :). I don't use ndiswrapper because I have an intel card, but this program would be a big help for newbies who need nsdiswrapper.

fatality_uk
July 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Good news!

LittleLORDevil
July 16th, 2008, 06:30 PM
This is awesome, so many times new users are turned away because they can't get their WiFi working.

kevdog
July 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Call me a pessimist, but I'm skeptical. I'd like to see some results from this program from many users before calling this a success. Regularly in the networking forums, I cant see how one program could possibly configure ndiswrapper for every application. Particularly in Hardy.

fatality_uk
July 16th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Call me a pessimist, but I'm skeptical. I'd like to see some results from this program from many users before calling this a success. Regularly in the networking forums, I cant see how one program could possibly configure ndiswrapper for every application. Particularly in Hardy.

You're a pessimist kevdog! However, I get the point that config for wireless in general on Linux is probably the single biggest headache new users face and some old users too ;)

I think it's @ 0.1 so wont deliver an overnight change. But hopefully, there's a chance that something might develop out of this.

*fingers crossed*

saulgoode
July 16th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Wow! A program that will automatically remove a free software driver and replace it with a proprietary one. I guess they didn't get the memo (http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Kernel_Driver_Statement).

Le-Froid
July 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I think this will help a lot of people :)
Took me around 3 weeks to find out how to fix my internet connection using NDISwrapper.

HermanAB
July 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Mandriva handles ndiswrapper with the regular network wizard. This has been working for many years already. There is no good reason why Ubuntu can't do the same.

init1
July 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I tried it and the driver download got a 404.

keiichidono
July 17th, 2008, 03:33 AM
It looks alright, I might try it out on a friends laptop.

bp1509
July 17th, 2008, 03:53 AM
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/11220/

madjr
July 17th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Mandriva handles ndiswrapper with the regular network wizard. This has been working for many years already. There is no good reason why Ubuntu can't do the same.

i haven't tried mandriva :(

both the gnome and kde version do this?

markjensen
July 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Wow! A program that will automatically remove a free software driver and replace it with a proprietary one. I guess they didn't get the memo (http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Kernel_Driver_Statement).
Do you use HURD? ;)

On a serious note, users want their nVidia or ATI to work those nifty compiz effects. Ubuntu detects these cards and offers to download the appropriate proprietary driver.

It is a sad fact that people want their video to work. For flash to work. For their wireless to work.

In an ideal situation, vendors would be porting (or at least opening up for *nix devs) their software to work natively in Linux, under the GPL.

However, these vendors won't unless there is a userbase (read: profit). And the userbase isn't going to grow unless they see a usable system where their video works, and their wireless works, and they can go to their sites that use flash.

It's an ugly catch-22. But burying your head in the sand with regards to end-user needs isn't going to solve the problem or get Linux accepted as a usable desktop for the mom & pop shoppers in the computer stores, looking to buy a new PC.

hellion0
July 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Luckily, all of my wireless applications have worked "out of the box", as it were.

That said, I can see where this project would come in very handy. Why do most people who've tried Linux go back to a closed OS? Hardware support.

If this project can help just one person to not be scared away by a daft wireless chipset, then it's a worthy one.