PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Black screen of death with fglrx on Ubuntu 8.04 - any fix yet ?

obi1kenobi
July 16th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Hi all,

It seems (K)Ubuntu 8.04 has hit a massive amount of users with this bug. The Mesa driver is so slow that it hurts your eyes.

So is there a fix available :confused: ?

Obi1

obi1kenobi
July 16th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Well, just to make it clear, I am currently suffering because of this bug as do many others ... :(

My card is an ATI X1950 AGP. Works **great** in Windows XP. Played many games on Windows (e.g. Quake IV) on high quality => so there is nothing wrong with this card, or monitor, or whatever.

So why then ii does not work in Linux ??? ](*,)

Regards,
Obi1

avtolle
July 16th, 2008, 06:02 PM
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide was referred to when I did a Google search. I do not know if it will be helpful to you, as I've not the graphics card you have, but allegedly it helped someone to get the card up and running.

obi1kenobi
July 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Avtolle and thanks for replying.

Yes, I did follow that article to the letter, with both the community and ATI's own driver, but no joy. Still the same thing. I know of a another workaround involving AGP aperture but my BIOS does not have such an option.

However, this used to work in previous KUbuntu versions and since the card works fine in Windows without messing around with the BIOS -> it should be working the same in Linux, should it not ?

The web has complaints of fglrx problems plenty ... Therefore I would expect this to be a TOP/HIGHEST priority issue for developers. After all ... what good is the Linux OS if it's freezing your computer before the logging screen ?!? :confused: