PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Double click to change window

frunns
July 16th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Okey, I just had an awesome idea, but I don't know if anyone's made it possible... I'm using a 15.4" laptop, so I have limited screen space, but once in a while I get the feeling I'd like to have aMsn windows above the others, I mean being able to surf etc normally but still have the conversation window visible, but I don't want to use "Always on top", as then I'd have to minimize or disable the option when I need the space. But what about double click to move the clicked window to front and single click to follow links etc? Is that completely retarded?

spupy
July 16th, 2008, 06:57 PM
If it is more comfortable for you, it is not retarded. But I don't understand you - double click where?

frunns
July 17th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Anywhere in the window you want to change to. Though I just realized it'd not work too well with for example nautilus (where you'd normally use double click), and you'd have to have a delay for the single click as well... But oh, well...

spupy
July 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Anywhere in the window you want to change to. Though I just realized it'd not work too well with for example nautilus (where you'd normally use double click), and you'd have to have a delay for the single click as well... But oh, well...

When you single click a window, it is raised to front.
Alternatively, you can set a key shortcut to bring a window to front.

zmurf
October 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM
Amiga has this function in Workbench as a commodity called ClickToFront. It allows you to just focus a window without making it pop to front by single clicking on it. To make a window to become focused and pop to front you have to doubleclick the window.

This is wonderful if you have a big window with some information in it that you want to use in a small window laying on top of the bigger window... for example when you drag and drop files between windows.

I used this function on my Amiga since 1992, and I always missed it in other operatingsystems... I'm still looking for some way to implement this in Xwindows...

frunns
October 1st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Exactly, that'd be cool. :)