PDA

View Full Version : How to: Creating your own linux distro

sharks
July 16th, 2008, 11:51 AM
How to: Creating your own linux distro
http://hehe2.net/linuxhowto/create-your-own-linux-distro/

Sealbhach
July 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I was looking at that. It's Slackware I think.

Would that be difficult to use if you're used to Debian Linux?

What about the package manager? I had a go at using Yast in openSUSE and did not like it at all...

zmjjmz
July 16th, 2008, 01:06 PM
If you want an Ubuntu based distro, just put ubuntu-server in a VM and add on it, then install remastersys and create a remastersys distro.

Dragonbite
July 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM
If you want an Ubuntu based distro, just put ubuntu-server in a VM and add on it, then install remastersys and create a remastersys distro.

That's it? That's all it takes? Does that do the LiveCD image as well?

(No wonder there are so many Ubuntu-based distros...)

I've been bringing up the idea of creating a LiveCD Linux for our computer club with applications related to the subjects covered in the General Meeting (They talk about digital photography, include digital photography apps. They talk about ripping LPs to MP3, include Audacity (or whatever) to do the same thing, etc.) Also include the club's logo and maybe get the digital photography or some other special interest group to supply graphics and what-nots.

I can also see somebody who runs a company that does IT work for small businesses to use something like this to make a "master" installation CD for a company's server (and keep a copy of it for re-installing the server if necessary). A big benefit is if most of the servers he builds use the same functions (email, files, web, etc.)

Sealbhach
July 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM

I don't really know what that means but I'll look it up.

Will that make a Desktop distro? Will it make a 64-bit distro?