PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Kernel update messes up with grub menu.lst

pentolino
July 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Hello everyone,
I start by saying that I already know what to do when this situation arises, but I would be happy to have it solved once for all.
I use Ubuntu 7.10, all updated; I recently had two kernel updates (say in the last month). The update goes well but it changes menu.lst in a wrong way, resulting in an unbootable linux system after reboot.
The fact is simple, before kernel update menu.lst is configured to look for kernel images in
(hd0,2)
after the update I found that it is modified to
(hd0,3)
which of course results in an unbootable system.
I can avoid this by correcting menu.lst by hand after update, but is there a way to make update work correctly like it used to do before?
Thanks for any help,
Riccardo

Wolki
July 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM
The fact is simple, before kernel update menu.lst is configured to look for kernel images in
(hd0,2)
after the update I found that it is modified to
(hd0,3)
which of course results in an unbootable system.

Read the menu.lst:

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

[some stuff left out]

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd0,1)

Yes, the comments determine how the update-script edits the auto-configuration. Doesn't really make a lot of sense, but apparently it's neccesary so that everything can be in the same file.

So edit the singly commented line to the right device and it should work.

pentolino
July 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
thanks very much, I think you are right; the option you pointed out was directed to:
(hd0,3) (which is wrong)
I changed it to the right value; I just can't tell you for sure if it works, have to wait next kernel update :-)
Thanks for your help.
Bye