PDA

View Full Version : Technical Question > Hard drive>Bios>Omnibook 5700

Midwest-Linux
July 16th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I been trying to install a 6 GB hard drive (actually 6.007 GB) into a Omnibook 5700 laptop and in the bios. I can select a custom hard drive but I need to manually put in
type code#
# cylinders,
#heads
#sectors/track
landing zone
write precomp

I tried Auto ID, that did not work. The hard drive is fine but the Omnibook does not recognize it. I need to set up the bios so the Omnibook will recognize the hard drive.

I looked in the Omnibook 5700 pdf online and searched several pages and found nothing.

Is there a chart or some kind of reference that I can use to get these parameters so I can install the hard drive?

Thanks

mcduck
July 16th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I been trying to install a 6 GB hard drive (actually 6.007 GB) into a Omnibook 5700 laptop and in the bios. I can select a custom hard drive but I need to manually put in
type code#
# cylinders,
#heads
#sectors/track
landing zone
write precomp

I tried Auto ID, that did not work. The hard drive is fine but the Omnibook does not recognize it. I need to set up the bios so the Omnibook will recognize the hard drive.

I looked in the Omnibook 5700 pdf online and searched several pages and found nothing.

Is there a chart or some kind of reference that I can use to get these parameters so I can install the hard drive?

Thanks

Usually all that info is on a sticker on hte hard disk. If it isn't, search Google with the disks model number.

(they are the hard disks properties, not your laptops That's why ypou won't find them from your laptop's information..)

fiddledd
July 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM
You could also try upgrading the BIOS, then it might auto detect the Drive.

Midwest-Linux
July 16th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the answers.

http://www.toshibastorage.com/techdocs/HDD_TechNotes_480040_reve.pdf

The info for the Landing Zone or the write precomp was not listed. The other information was however.

The bios is the "latest" version...dating back to 1997.