PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Missing ICONS on Ubuntu

kaola_linux
July 16th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I've attached a screenshot of my desktop after I've deleted the contents of my pixmaps folder, now I can't revert it back.Can someone help me restore them?

Plz help me plz...

forger
July 16th, 2008, 08:02 AM
pixmaps of which package?
you mean the folder /usr/share/pixmaps ? there are a lot of packages that install files in that folder

kaola_linux
July 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM
yes that one..ive rm'd it...accidentally

forger
July 16th, 2008, 08:11 AM
well it's too big :)

Find all your packages and try to reinstall them:
WARNING! Can break stuff!! Use at your own risk!

sudo apt-get install --reinstall `apt-cache dump | grep Package: | sed -e 's/Package: //' | xargs`

kaola_linux
July 16th, 2008, 08:23 AM
well it's too big :)

Find all your packages and try to reinstall them:
WARNING! Can break stuff!! Use at your own risk!

sudo apt-get install --reinstall `apt-cache dump | grep Package: | sed -e 's/Package: //' | xargs`

do i have to enter the code you provided on the terminal? I've tried it but it gives me an error

Superevil
August 27th, 2008, 12:43 AM
wow I just did the same stupid thing recently. still havent figured out a fix yet

mgmiller
August 28th, 2008, 01:40 AM
boot off a live cd and then enter a root browser:

gksu nautilus
You can now browse to /usr/share/pixmaps in the virtual image of the live cd and copy it to the /usr/share/ of your hard drive.

Be careful as you are in su mode and you can really frak your installed OS. So just be sure you are copying stuff from and to where you really want to.

Superevil
August 28th, 2008, 01:52 AM
nope that didnt work either

mgmiller
August 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM
If you deleted the entire pixmaps folder from your hard drive, what I suggested should work to restore it. Any images that were put there by other packages you installed can be restored by reinstalling the package after you copy over the new pixmaps folder.

Are you sure you browsed to the /usr/share/pixmaps in the file tree while running the live cd and copied it to the right spot on your hard drive? When in live cd mode, your hard drive would be in /media. Once you open that, you should see the whole file tree of your drive.

Superevil
August 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM
yea I'm sure I copied the right folder. I thought I might have had the problem fixed when i downloaded and installed the hicolor icons which fixed most of the missing ones but the icons for ccsm, compiz-icon, screenlets, awn, pidgin, liferea, network icon, and sound converter.

mgmiller
August 28th, 2008, 10:42 PM
The hicolor-icons install to /usr/share/icons not pixmaps. Perhaps, you can do a compare side by side of all the contents of /usr/share/icons between the live cd and your installation. Applications that are not displaying their icons correctly might get fixed by doing a complete uninstall followed by a reninstall, rather than just doing the reinstall.

Superevil
August 29th, 2008, 09:27 PM
it seems my issue has nothing to do with /usr/share/pixmaps, it was something I deleted in /usr/share/icons