PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] jdk installation

richlyn9
July 16th, 2008, 04:19 AM
i have tried to install JDK on 7.10;have been with linux for a cupla months now and as far my knowledge goes i want to clarify that in 7.10 .bin file from sun.java cannot be installed(we have icedtea instead).
also how much time will 8.04 upgrade take on a dialup (the last time i downloaded it took 4 hrs fro 35 MB)

Sef
July 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
i have tried to install JDK on 7.10;have been with linux for a cupla months now and as far my knowledge goes i want to clarify that in 7.10 .bin file from sun.java cannot be installed(we have icedtea instead).

Are you using 32 or 64-bit?

also how much time will 8.04 upgrade take on a dialup (the last time i downloaded it took 4 hrs fro 35 MB)

You would want to get a DVD version and then the updates will be minimal. Otherwise, it will take hours.

richlyn9
July 30th, 2008, 07:08 AM
its a 32 bit system
i think i may get the CD version wich will be better
and in the case for an upgrade will it keep all the other settings or preferences that i have already done to my system or will i have to start afresh.

Sef
July 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM
its a 32 bit system
i think i may get the CD version wich will be better
and in the case for an upgrade will it keep all the other settings or preferences that i have already done to my system or will i have to start afresh.

A clean install with the CD will give you less problems than an upgrade; however, an upgrade will allow you to keep all your settings. With the Live CD they have to be reset.