PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server 8.04 - hostname resolveing (with no hosts file edit or DNS)

hexbin
July 16th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Ok, here's the deal...
On older Ubuntu Servers, when I installed it, and gave it a name server-machine, each time I entered server-machine in my web browser on the other computers in my network, I was directed to this server.

Now, this same server-machine, doesn't introduce it self at all to the network. Even when using Webmin and Virtualmin to create new virtual host, with virtualhost names... Let's say I created vserv virutal host, I get a entry vserv. in my DNS, instead of vserv.server-machine

I need a solution without using host file, since the network uses a lot of random computers... Also, I would need this computer to respond to server-machine, or virtual host to vserv.server-machine when using Telnet, SSH, FTP and other programs that require connection to the server.

Thanks in advance for all your helpful and constructive comments ;)

p_quarles
July 16th, 2008, 06:37 AM
No hosts or DNS, huh? I don't think there's anything we can do apart from wishing you luck.

Without delegating the responsibility for names to a particular process, the computers will never be able to agree on what is what. /etc/hosts and DNS are the tools that allow you to do this.

windependence
July 16th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Ok, here's the deal...

Now, this same server-machine, doesn't introduce it self at all to the network. Even when using Webmin and Virtualmin to create new virtual host, with virtualhost names... Let's say I created vserv virutal host, I get a entry vserv. in my DNS, instead of vserv.server-machine

It would only be vserv.server-machine if server-machine was your domain. This is NOT the case, server-machine in this case is the name of the host computer (hostname).

What you are trying to do is next to impossible as was suggested. DNS is something everyone has a hard time with. If you are going to keep swapping out random computers, even a DNS server won't work without making a DNS entry for each new computer. I am curious as to what you are trying to accomplish here, is this a gaming LAN type situation?

-Tim