PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need Previous OS present for Ubuntu install?

TerryGunnell12
July 16th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I have a Dell Dimension 8200, and an Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD. I have this version of Ubuntu on my MacBook as well, and thought I'd set it up on the PC for my family to use as well.

So after putting a new hard drive in, (40 GB) and a new LG DVD drive, I popped in my Ubuntu Disk expecting it to boot right to the disk. Is this possible? Or do I need an OS present before installing? I'm a tad confused. Im new to Ubuntu, so I would think it would boot without an OS present. But the guide on the CD cover makes me think you need Windows or OS X running before you can install. Hope someone can help me out. :) Thanks in advance guys.

mikewhatever
July 16th, 2008, 01:28 AM
No. All you need to load Ubuntu from the Live CD is to set the BIOS to boot from cd-rom first. In fact, you can load it with or without the hard drive.

Shazaam
July 16th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Nope. Blank hard drives work fine. You will probably need to go into the Dell's bios and set the cd/dvd drive to boot first (Boot Order). I think F12 is the key to get into the bios (or F2).

Sef
July 16th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Nope. Blank hard drives work fine. You will probably need to go into the Dell's bios and set the cd/dvd drive to boot first (Boot Order). I think F12 is the key to get into the bios (or F2).

On my Dell, F2 is for permanent changes to the BIOS; F12 is for one-time boots.

andrewthegreat19
July 16th, 2008, 05:47 AM
ahhmmm my professor just told us that in order to avoid viruses and other malicious infections we must switch to linux (ubuntu) for aside from it is commercially free it is also free from viruses but the problem is i dont know how to install it to my machine???. . . is the steps in installing windows xp similar to ubuntu or they are different?. . . :(

meindian523
July 16th, 2008, 05:57 AM
@Andrew

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-8.04-lts-hardy-heron