PDA

View Full Version : student project ideas

sunnysingh
July 16th, 2008, 12:42 AM
hi all i will be starting my last year in university this september and its the time where i have to think about the project that i wanna do. i would be very interested in doing a project that invloved ubuntu so anybody that has ideas would be welcome, i havent been using ubuntu that long but i have been interested in what i have been doing so far.
thanks.

Ioky
July 16th, 2008, 02:44 AM
try to make a custom ubuntu edition. For special use, Like ubuntu media center, ubuntu with pure CLI, and so. That will help you to learn ubuntu very quickly, and benefit the others as well.

smartboyathome
July 16th, 2008, 03:17 AM
try to make a custom ubuntu edition. For special use, Like ubuntu media center, ubuntu with pure CLI, and so. That will help you to learn ubuntu very quickly, and benefit the others as well.

Those have already been done. How about a custom Ubuntu with an alternate file structure? Gobolinux can get you started. :)

grossaffe
July 16th, 2008, 04:15 AM
build a PC into a guitar hero controller, write a start-up script for Frets on Fire, and build an extendable LCD screen into the controller. portable guitar hero. ;)

zmjjmz
July 16th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Ubuntu?
Bit limiting there.
Why not try Linux From Scratch?

beercz
July 16th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Well I use rnsapshot (http://rsnapshot.org) for my backups - which I think is brilliant. However, rsnapshot relies on a fairly complex configuration file, which the user has to edit themselves, which can be a bit daunting, particularly for beginners. (This doesn't apply to me).

How about a GUI for setting up rsnapshot? I for one would find it useful and make rsnapshot a bit more accessable.

I don't think this has been done, but if it has then I apologise and would be grateful if I could be enlightened.

Thanks and good luck with your project.