PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 64-bit installation from USB--no hdd found

wolfmanyoda
July 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hello, I'm trying to intall the 64-bit version from my USB drive. All goes well at first, it boots up fine, but when I try to actually install it there is no hard disk found.

Here's some specs:

MSI P45 mainboard
Intel core 2 quad Q6600
4 gig RAM
GeForce 9600GT
Western Digital 640GB SATA drive, it has windows on a 200GB partition, my files on another 300GB partition, and about 100GB leftover for Ubuntu, if I can get it to work.
Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I just saw this on another thread, I'll try it out and see what happens:
all_generic_ide
EDIT 2: That didn't work.

markbuntu
July 16th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Try setting SATA to IDE in the bios. This is a particular problem with those mobos but the bios does contain an option for treating SATA as IDE.

wolfmanyoda
July 16th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Ok, but would that degrade the hard drive perfprmance in either ubuntu or windows?

wolfmanyoda
July 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I scoured my BIOS and couldn't find that setting. I may have to install an IDE drive just for ubuntu.

wolfmanyoda
July 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Well that went bad. I installed an IDE drive, booted up from my USB and installed Ubuntu. Since it couldn't see the SATA drive my dual-boot doesn't work because grub only sees one OS, Ubuntu. I can't be plugging and unplugging hard drives everytime I want to switch between Ubuntu and Windows.
Guess I'll just pray for the next version of Ubuntu to be SATA friendly. :(

wolfmanyoda
July 17th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Ok a dude on another forum suggested I do a Wubi install. I'm giving that a try, it's downloading now.

wolfmanyoda
July 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Wubi worked. :guitar: