PDA

View Full Version : What should I use to protect a LAN cable?

Ozor Mox
July 15th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I just bought a new 30M CAT5 LAN cable to travel across half the house and connect my desktop to the router, because my bedroom seems to be made of metal and no wireless connections work in there. The annoying part is that it has to go through a door, and the last cable kept getting crushed in the door. I replaced it because the clip things on the sockets broke, not because of that.

Can anyone recommend something I can use to cover the part of the cable that gets shut in the door to protect it? Or is it very unlikely to cause a problem, if these cables are tougher than I thought?

Erdaron
July 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Can you pull the cable through the ceiling? Drill a small hole in your ceiling, and a small hole in the ceiling of the room with the router in it.

There are also cable covers like this (http://store.cablesplususa.com/powerback-rubber-duct-protectors.html?gclid=CODfn7K_wpQCFQIyxwodk3sqFA), but might not fit under the door very well.

clanky
July 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Depending on the construction of your house another option would be to go through the skirting board.

tamoneya
July 15th, 2008, 07:21 PM
duct tape ftw

original_jamingrit
July 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
duct tape ftw

If you tape it to the ceiling, it's not as noticebale! :lolflag:

laurielegit
July 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
get a drill or a chisel and just carve a small indent in the wood for the cable to go through. you could even do it with a sharp knife.

Lostincyberspace
July 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Just run it along the floor on the wall (you can run it under the molding to make it so no one can see it at all) you can get little square hook shaped things that hold it down and it should be fine.

fiddledd
July 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM
If you can't go through walls or ceilings and the door is easiest, cut a groove in the door frame close to the floor. The frame where the hinges are is the least noticeable.

FuturePilot
July 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Best thing would be to take the whole thing through the wall or the ceiling and put a wall plate in.

Dragonbite
July 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM
run it out the window in the router's room, around the house like a string of lights (can hang things on it too).. be careful, you don't want to give the birds a perch, and bring it back into the bedroom!