PDA

View Full Version : GMail in Opera

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 05:58 PM
For some reason, all the features that didn't work in Opera, now do. So you have coloured tags and everything.

I never realised I was missing anything until someone told me, but they are working now.

Canis familiaris
July 15th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Lots of things of Google do not work in Opera. In Gutsy when I tested Google Desktop, it constantly annoyed me by phrases such as browser not supported. Even Google Transliteration does not work in Opera. It works in Firefox.
I cannot understand why Google's support for Opera is so bad.
I'm glad at least things are moving in right direction.

lazertek
July 15th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I am an opera fan too but unfortunately because of it not being supported widely I am forced to adapt firefox... Lately my firefox has been crashing if I open more than two windows but I'll work around that... But the point is I wish opera was supported more... I like it better than FF... Don't get me wrong tho firefox is a great browser

cardinals_fan
July 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Lots of things of Google do not work in Opera. In Gutsy when I tested Google Desktop, it constantly annoyed me by phrases such as browser not supported. Even Google Transliteration does not work in Opera. It works in Firefox.
The only site that's caused problems for me is Picasa Web Albums. Google Translate (or Transliteration ;) ) works fine.

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Well, the wikipedia transliteration works in Opera, and doesn't in Firefox :-)

http://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/मुखपृष्ठ

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM
The only site that's caused problems for me is Picasa Web Albums. Google Translate (or Transliteration ;) ) works fine.

Tranliteration is different ;)

http://www.google.com/transliterate/indic/

And it doesn't work in Opera.

Canis familiaris
July 15th, 2008, 07:46 PM

Right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transliteration

lazertek
July 15th, 2008, 07:59 PM
but even a lot of stuff like the google gears won't work in opera... I guess it comes down to which features you don't mind loosing

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM
but even a lot of stuff like the google gears won't work in opera... I guess it comes down to which features you don't mind loosing

A lot of stuff doesn't work in Firefox either. As an Opera user, I didn't notice the features I was missing in gmail, but now they work.

As for the other things. I don't know about them because I don't use them.

I do know my web pages and scripts work in Opera (I follow the standards to a tee) and some fail in Firefox. (The Conversion Calculator on my website doesn't work in Firefox)

lazertek
July 15th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Opera is cooler though

cardinals_fan
July 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM

](*,)

Canis familiaris
July 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Opera is cooler though
+1
But I use it mainly because it is lighter has more features and best of all an integrated mail client (I love IMAP)

Last thing I had to miss in Opera is Flash 10 Beta. FLash 9 works in Opera and Firefox but I dunno for what reason FLash 10 Beta did not work in Opera though it worked in Firefox. But since I have got in to Opera I uninstalled Flash 10b and reinstalled Flash9.

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Last thing I had to miss in Opera is Flash 10 Beta. FLash 9 works in Opera and Firefox but I dunno for what reason FLash 10 Beta did not work in Opera though it worked in Firefox. But since I have got in to Opera I uninstalled Flash 10b and reinstalled Flash9.

Odd. I use Flash 10 beta 2 only with the latest Opera fine.

It is the only Flash I have installed.

Canis familiaris
July 15th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Odd. I use Flash 10 beta 2 only with the latest Opera fine.

It is the only Flash I have installed.

How did you install Flash 10 beta?
I installed it by adding custom repos and installing through apt-get.

lazertek
July 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Also wanted to drop a note that using opera for a user like me that has millions of tabs open when searching something or just surfing around I end up in a huge clutter...

With opera it keeps it clean but firefox with a whole bunch of tabs is just a mess...

Is there anything in firefox to ease that...

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 09:04 PM
How did you install Flash 10 beta?
I installed it by adding custom repos and installing through apt-get.

I got it from the Flash site:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Get the .tar.gz for Linux.

Uninstall other flash players.

~$tar -xvvzf flashplayer10_install_linux_070208.tar.gz && install_flash_player_10_linux/flashplayer-installer

This will install it as a user, into the .mozilla directory, but Opera will find it (close all browsers when install and restart)

D-EJ915
July 15th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Well, the wikipedia transliteration works in Opera, and doesn't in Firefox :-)

http://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/मुखपृष्ठ
lol, that link totally restarted X when I clicked on it

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 10:12 PM
lol, that link totally restarted X when I clicked on it

Really? It must have crashed. It is just wikipedia (the Hindi version). The worst it can do is look bad, if you don't have the fonts installed.

Polygon
July 15th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Why does windows xp (or firefox for that matter) have the hindi font installed by default? lol.

anyway im pretty sure a lot of stuff doesnt work in opera cause of the intense javascript that makes stuff like gmail work...i bet it has to do with different implementations of this and some browsers support it better then others...etc.

LaRoza
July 15th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Why does windows xp (or firefox for that matter) have the hindi font installed by default? lol.

anyway im pretty sure a lot of stuff doesnt work in opera cause of the intense javascript that makes stuff like gmail work...i bet it has to do with different implementations of this and some browsers support it better then others...etc.

Unicode support :-)

There are many fonts for Devanagari though.

It can also just be checking for browsers and disabling, even if it can run. That is a bad way to work though.

Polygon
July 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM
well i remember i wanted to work on google docs at school (my school runs on macs) and due to some random problem, firefox wouldn't run on half of the machines at my school, so i was forced to use safari, of course google docs complained that safari wasn't supported but if i really wanted to try it I could, and it was true, docs didn't run very well at all...

lazertek
July 16th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I read a comment by an opera developer team saying that the problem doesn't lie within opera... its google blocking them... and some other sites too... i found this when i was looking for opera 9.5 vs firefox 3 but i don't have open anymore so can't provide the link... but if you are interested you can put those keywords in google and you can track it