PDA

View Full Version : Seadragon for linux???

MadsRH
July 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Is something like Microsoft Seadragon being developed for Linux???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ra5tp7K--I

Seadragon aim is nothing less than to change the way we use screens, from wall-sized displays to mobile devices, so that visual information can be smoothly browsed regardless of the amount of data involved or the bandwidth of the network.

If this sounds a little vague, consider the following four "promises" of Seadragon:

- Speed of navigation is independent of the size or number of objects.
- Performance depends only on the ratio of bandwidth to pixels on the screen.
- Transitions are smooth as butter.
- Scaling is near perfect and rapid for screens of any resolution.

http://labs.live.com/seadragon.aspx

//MadsRH

karmasagent
July 15th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Doubtful, you're asking about an in-house, unreleased Microsoft Product still in their labs (unlike Google, their "labs" haven't been known for spinning off high use products). Only if they purchased a company that releases software for multiple platforms would they even consider putting it out for Linux, but even then I predict they'd pull the software before they offered it.

I'd ask the question of "Seadragon ALTERNATIVE for Linux?"

madjr
July 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
i saw that seadragon plugin thing running in firefox am sure wine devs could get it working (in fact it was by the ms developer exposing it, he gota havve his firefox :)).

anyway it just zooms images and has some effects. We will have an equivalent when people actually need that. Thats for images scanned in a tremendous amount of megapizels

i don't see the big deal of it

MadsRH
July 15th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I'd ask the question of "Seadragon ALTERNATIVE for Linux?"

Of course!!! I can understand the thread title can be misleading, but I think my question is pretty straight forward: "Is something like Microsoft Seadragon being developed for Linux???"

madjr --> The big deal is the technology that lies behind it. It doesn't just zoom images.

//MadsRH

Darin722
October 12th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I too would like to see this in a linux format. But unlike microsoft's product I'd like to see it run entirely locally. -- and not as a desktop toy like compiz fusion but as a standalone application.

Imagine the possibility for documenting the assembly procedure for a complex machine.

I used to build an ultrasound scanning system. It underwent several modifications in a short period of time. I often took photographs to document the new features but it was difficult to get a picture that showed a wide enough view to show you what you were looking at and a close enough view to show you the detail. Often a slightly different angle would have been very nice too. Seadragon would have been an excelent solution.