PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dist upgrade hang

chadmichael
July 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I was upgrading, via the upgrade manager, to 8.04. The upgrade hung, became unresponsive, etc. during the installation.

I have since read that the recommended process is to upgrade incrementally, form 6.06.

Too late for that I suppose.

My question is what are my options. Kill the machine? Seems like the only one, but I suspect I can get a terminal and kill the upgrade process, etc. But what are teh consequences.

I need a recommended path of escape.

Thanks,
Chad

PmDematagoda
July 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Were you upgrading from Ubuntu 6.06 to Ubuntu 8.04?

chadmichael
July 15th, 2008, 05:01 PM
yes. I think so. The machine is not here with me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure on that.

It's six something at least. . .

PmDematagoda
July 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
yes. I think so. The machine is not here with me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure on that.

It's six something at least. . .

If it is Ubuntu 6.06 then you do have the ability to directly upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04, perhaps you may need to do that through the command line to get the best results, the upgrade can be done this way:-

Network upgrade for Ubuntu servers (recommended)

If you run an Ubuntu server, you should use the new server upgrade system.

1. enable the "dapper-updates" repository
2. install the new "update-manager-core" package - dependencies include python-apt, python-gnupginterface and python2.4-apt.
3. run "sudo do-release-upgrade -p" in a terminal window The -p flag is needed because hardy is not being offered as a lts-upgrade until 8.04.1.
4. follow the steps on the terminal window
as given here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades).

chadmichael
July 15th, 2008, 05:12 PM
But my real question is whether I can simply reboot from the hung dist-upgrade without incurring any damage . . . Can I just flip the switch?

PmDematagoda
July 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
But my real question is whether I can simply reboot from the hung dist-upgrade without incurring any damage . . . Can I just flip the switch?

If it does not respond after a certain amount of time, that may be what you have to do.