PDA

View Full Version : About polish ...

Yoeri
July 15th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I made my complete swith to Linux about a year ago, around the time I started my own software development company. I switched from windows to linux and from .net to java to avoid high licencing fees ...

I do have some complaints ...
In ubuntu, the Remote Desktop viewer just doesn't work. I had to install vncviewer to take over another machine. Transmission also fails on me, I get way better results using Azureus (these are details). Installing ATI drivers is still a pain in the .... I use envy which makes it easy and because I know about the existence of the tool. Why not just install it or use it by default?? I helped out a few people I know by telling them to use envy. As for the super-polish ... Fedora creates a standard "Downloads" folder to wchich firefox points ... nice. The preferences and administration menus are better organised in Fedora ... Older ATI cards (radeon 9000Pro) work out of the box, while in ubuntu the system had frequent lockups (that's why I tried fedora).

It is also a pain when software makers don't provide deb files ... I can still search the internet and try hard to get things compiled myself, not everyone does. RapidSVN is my lates example in this one ... a nice update to 0.9.6 but nowhere in the ubu repos nor a deb file to install on the vendors website :(

I won't start telling about the positive parts of my switch this post would exceed it maximum allowed characters :)
Ubuntu evolved a lot since the 6.x releases, hope it'll keep up to the high expectations of everyone... they created the expectations themselves by releasing some very nice distro's over the years ... keep it up!!!

I won't start with another windows comparison because you cannot compare a first-class opensource OS to a well'eh "first-class" proprietary system.

Greetings!!

zmjjmz
July 15th, 2008, 02:00 PM
You can post suggestions in brainstorm.ubuntu.com

soapytheclown
July 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM
It is also a pain when software makers don't provide deb files ... I can still search the internet and try hard to get things compiled myself, not everyone does. RapidSVN is my lates example in this one ... a nice update to 0.9.6 but nowhere in the ubu repos nor a deb file to install on the vendors website :(

must be something in the water today ive spend the past hour or 2 looking for a rapidsvn 0.9.6 deb!! no luck either, noly the one from the debian repos which have unmet dependancies (N)

madjr
July 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I made my complete swith to Linux about a year ago, around the time I started my own software development company. I switched from windows to linux and from .net to java to avoid high licencing fees ...

I do have some complaints ...
In ubuntu, the Remote Desktop viewer just doesn't work. I had to install vncviewer to take over another machine. Transmission also fails on me, I get way better results using Azureus (these are details). Installing ATI drivers is still a pain in the .... I use envy which makes it easy and because I know about the existence of the tool. Why not just install it or use it by default?? I helped out a few people I know by telling them to use envy. As for the super-polish ... Fedora creates a standard "Downloads" folder to wchich firefox points ... nice. The preferences and administration menus are better organised in Fedora ... Older ATI cards (radeon 9000Pro) work out of the box, while in ubuntu the system had frequent lockups (that's why I tried fedora).

I won't start telling about the positive parts of my switch this post would exceed it maximum allowed characters :)
Ubuntu evolved a lot since the 6.x releases, hope it'll keep up to the high expectations of everyone... they created the expectations themselves by releasing some very nice distro's over the years ... keep it up!!!

I won't start with another windows comparison because you cannot compare a first-class opensource OS to a well'eh "first-class" proprietary system.

Greetings!!

linuxmint has what you need (envy, etc out of the box).

also you can suggest to package that program and upload it to their repos.

linuxmint is semi-rolling now, they do not completely freeze repos like ubuntu.